• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight monocular. (1 Viewer)

TobyC

England
I've already got a scope and some binoculars but can anyone recommend a decent monocular for under £100. I just want something handy I can stick in my jacket pocket.
Thanks in advance.

The only one I ever really use is normally about £120 - typical Birdforum price creep. However as it is very close focussing (35cm) it gets used for insects, flowers etc., as well as long distance observation. The item I use is the Minox 8x25 macroscope and it appears to be in 'The Birders Store' for £99 at the moment. It has a tripod screw fitting if that is important. Never used the shop so its just a location rather than a recommendation.

One word of warning, monoculars come in all shapes and sizes for a reason, no one really can agree on what works best for everyone. So there is no guarantee this is the best one for you.

I'm afraid I can't advise on monoculars but further to iveljay's response I can wholeheartedly recommend The Birders Store.

TobyC, post 5,
I found the following mono's, but there are certainly more:
- Bynolyt 7x30 Super Mono, FOV 122m/1000m, eyerelief 16 mm, 250 gram, close focus 7,2 m, 239 euros
- Bynolyt Spotter 10x50, FOV 101m/1000m, eyerelief 17,5 mm, 420 gram, close focus 2,5 m, ??
- Leica Monovid 8X20 plus close up lens, 475 euro
- Minox 8x25 macroscope, close focus 35 cm, 179 euro
- Zeiss 6x18 mono, sliding focus mechanism with very short close focus, 310 euro
other Zeiss mono's 4x12, 295 euro, 8x20 330 euro and 10x25 370 euro
Used market: Asahi Pentax 8x30 with closefocus lens can it be used as a microscope, also available under other brand names
- Some Russian brands on the used market 8x30, 7x50 and 12x60
So nice research project, I wish yo a lot of success,
Gijs van Ginkel

TobyC, post 5,
I found the following mono's, but there are certainly more:
- Bynolyt 7x30 Super Mono, FOV 122m/1000m, eyerelief 16 mm, 250 gram, close focus 7,2 m, 239 euros
- Bynolyt Spotter 10x50, FOV 101m/1000m, eyerelief 17,5 mm, 420 gram, close focus 2,5 m, ??
- Leica Monovid 8X20 plus close up lens, 475 euro
- Minox 8x25 macroscope, close focus 35 cm, 179 euro
- Zeiss 6x18 mono, sliding focus mechanism with very short close focus, 310 euro
other Zeiss mono's 4x12, 295 euro, 8x20 330 euro and 10x25 370 euro
Used market: Asahi Pentax 8x30 with closefocus lens can it be used as a microscope, also available under other brand names
- Some Russian brands on the used market 8x30, 7x50 and 12x60
So nice research project, I wish yo a lot of success,
Gijs van Ginkel
Thanks, Gijs but a bit outside of my budget of around 120€

TobyC, post 7,
I think that you could succceed with that budget on the used items market, there are quite a few Russian mono's around for considerable lower prices as 120 euros. Enjoy the fun of the search.
Gijs van Ginkel

I have the little Zeiss 5x, Leica 8x20 and a Vortex 8X solo RT. The Leica has the best image, the Zeiss is the easiest to carry and the Vortex is the easiest to use because of its larger size. All three have good images.

I have used the Zeiss 6x18 for many years for its close focus capability. Use it for looking in rock pools by the sea, and in ponds and rivers. Get down on the ground, lean on your elbow and use it to look at wildlife under the water.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back