• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binoculars? (1 Viewer)

henry link said:
As you have probably guessed by now, tiny zoom binoculars don't get much respect from binocular buffs. But, if you are determined to have them the Olympus 7-15X25 ED Hugh Clayton mentioned sound intriguing to me. They don't try for too much power and the ED glass should improve things. Keep in mind that camera companies usually don't make their own inexpensive binoculars, so their bins may not bear much resemblance to their cameras.

Hello Henry,

I can imgagine that not all of the camera producers produce the binos on their own. But I think Olympus and other companies with good reputation would not sell trash under her brand name in order to avoid to ruin the image. I will check if I find the Olympus 7-15X25 ED in the internet and compare to the 2 models I know.

SvenSambrook said:
Hi,

I think I will try the zoom. If its not what I expect I will sell it in Ebay and try another one. But as I said I tested the small Olympus and found it very good. Maybe you do not really need 20x magn. or more, but you have the opportunity. And if you just use 10x and the view is good, the binos are light and small.
I hope you are pleased. I'm not sure your asking for advice has helped you any.

If you look carefully at the underside of the bodies of the Olympus 7-15X25 and 10X25 you will see in very inconspicious print "Made in China". I believe some Olympus microscopes are made there as well these days.

SvenSambrook said:
Hello Henry,

I can imgagine that not all of the camera producers produce the binos on their own. But I think Olympus and other companies with good reputation would not sell trash under her brand name in order to avoid to ruin the image. I will check if I find the Olympus 7-15X25 ED in the internet and compare to the 2 models I know.

Well I think Sven has already made his mind up. However, I would just add one thing. When we first started using binoculars we probably all had a tendency to think that a bigger magnification would let us see more. But with experience we found that this is not necessarily so. Sharpness of image is much more important than a large magnification. You can see more detail more clearly with top-quality 8x binoculars than with mediocre-quality 10x or even 16x ones.

I own several binoculars of different sizes, makes, ect. I have one zoom binocular. Guess which binocular never gets used??

And why is that, I wonder? For the reasons suggested so far - or others? I've tried zooms many times but they just don't offer a wide or bright enough fov. That's a little surprising in a way because the latest scope zoom eyepieces do offer a decent view, even if not up to the best fixed wide angle eyepieces.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back