• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdboxes for rent...... (1 Viewer)

vicky@glos

Hi all,
I have just been out into my garden today and checked my birdboxes and I was sad to see no nesting materials as yet.

Has anyone else still got empty nest boxes ?

Vicky@glos

Yes I have, but it is sitting in my study still, so thats probably why! (I am not being crule I have a cat and I have to find the safest spot to put it).

We're getting Blue tits checking the boxes every day, but no sign of them nesting yet. For the last two years they've started nest building on 6th and 9th April, so it's a bit early yet for us this far north.

With it being so mild of late I thought they may start early, but perhaps th birds know better as we;ve had a very cold snap today. Two years ago we had a cold Spring and I think they struggled to find enough grubs for the young, so I don't mind if they want to wait a while longer.

FYBI

Robins pair up as early as January, but lay anytime between March and June.

Blackbirds lay March-July
Song Thrush lay March-July
Collared Dove lay March-September
Mistle Thrush lay February-June
Hedge Sparrow lay March-early July
Wrens lay late April onwards
Great Tit lay April-May
Blue Tit lay April-May
greenfinch lay April-August
Chaffinch lay April-early July
House Sparrow lay April-August
Starling lay April-May

These are general, but I think you're being a bit optimistic to have birds laying in nestboxes just yet!

3 weeks ago I had singing Song Thrushes, Blackbirds, Dunnocks, Chaffinches and Robins then the Sparrowhawk started visiting daily, now my garden is birdless. I know the sparrowhawk hasn't killed them all but it sure as hell has scared them all off, unless it moves on soon I don't think I'll have any birds nesting anywhere in my garden , it even perched on top of the nest box!

The bluebirds have started to line their nest box with nesting material. They started the first week of March. The weather has been nice all last week. A few flowering plants getting ready to bloom. Spring is just around the corner !!

I look at my garden alot. I asee the birds go on the perch pepping through the hole but not gone in yet . I sence their just checking Im pretty sure someone will move in. But Ill let u all no if someone moves in. Not us humans of course lol The birds : D

Long Tailed Tits lay late March-early May

"our" Blackbirds started nest-building over a week ago (having nearly wrecked one of Ali's hanging baskets in the process) but they generally end up building two or three nests before they get going! Usually due to the magpies!

However, the Blue tits are getting quite interested in the new box I've put up . . . we shall wait and see.

This could be the reason for those empty boxes...

As a fair-weather birder
I've threatened blue murder
Used very strong words
To all of them birds
Told them not yet to nest
As I really detest
Trying to hold
Those bins in the cold.

So, when it's fine,
I'll give them a sign
Then they can start dating
And move on to mating:
From fusion to fission
They'll have my permission -
But till then no new stock's
To be reared in that box!

I love the poetry Lez! It's the first time I've seen "fission" rhymed with "permission". Outstanding! Now that shows a mastery of the English language us old gits could take an example from. Any more poets out there?

For goodness sake don't flatter me Paul: next I'll be rhyming doggerel with dotterel and there's no telling where that might lead...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back