• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel - Little Owl nest tolerance (1 Viewer)

Telephoto Paul

I've been watching and photographing a pair of little owls in the same tree for about six years. Sometimes they use a nest box I made for the farmer and some years they use a particular natural cavity. There's a second larger more open cavity in the tree that the young tend to like to hang out in between leaving the nest and being good enough fliers to leave the tree.

I've just discovered that there's a pair of kestrel young being raised in the open cavity (which is the opposite side if the tree to the owl nest box). Is it common for the two species to tolerate nesting in close proximity? Is there likely to be any conflict when the young owls leave the nest box?

I'v seen nests of long-eared owl and cestrel on a neighboring trees. Nests so closed as 3-4m. it is common situation in artificial strips of forests in Tyva republic in Russia because of deficiency of nests. It seems to me that owls and falcons was good neighbors - i've seen feathered nestlings of both.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back