• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SCILLY PELAGIC 2008 - Birders Only!! (1 Viewer)

Just looking through past reports i'm struggling to find any totals for previous Scillonian Pelagics. Does anyone have any links to what was seen in previous years, or indeed know themsleves?

D

Just looking through past reports i'm struggling to find any totals for previous Scillonian Pelagics. Does anyone have any links to what was seen in previous years, or indeed know themsleves?

D

Don't know where to find them on the net, but my personal totals in 2000 and 2003 were:

2000: Wilson's Petrel (2/3), Sabine's Gull (1), Great Shearwater (4), Sooty Shearwater (3), Grey Phalarope (1), Storm Petrel (c40), Bonxie (9), Arctic Skua (5)

2003: Wilson's Petrel (2/3), Sabine's Gull (2), Sooty Shearwater (1), Storm Petrel (c130), Bonxie (16), Arctic Skua (2)

Higher numbers came out on the pagers afterwards for both years, but it is not easy to look out over both sides of the boat at the same time!

Hope everyone going this year gets Wilson's and a mega like a Fea's (to make me wish I had gone ;))

Dan,

Aye, I'll be on Scilly again even though I can't afford it! Best of luck for the pelagic, Bulwer's I hope.

How did I know you'd be on here gloating!!! Nope sadly not, just gonna twitch it, start of uni and that....you?

D

Hey Pointy, never, ever, let Uni get in the way of Scilly in October...

After a "quiet" year in '98 (only the first British Wilson's Snipe) I decided to sack off '99 for my Uni finals. Doh!!!!

Didn't have the money to day twitch it; by the time I'd figured a way the Eagle had flown... :C

Hey Pointy, never, ever, let Uni get in the way of Scilly in October...

After a "quiet" year in '98 (only the first British Wilson's Snipe) I decided to sack off '99 for my Uni finals. Doh!!!!

Didn't have the money to day twitch it; by the time I'd figured a way the Eagle had flown... :C

Ah but i'll be ideally placed to hit it at short notice (ie Bristol!)

Bit crap but hoping to do Shets in Sept....

D

Hi chaps,

Where can I find details for the Scillonian pelagic? I tried the link at the start of this thread without success.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

D

Dan

From Birdguides...

Added Species Area Site Present

19:38 08/08/04 Wilson's Storm-petrel Scilly Scilly pelagic
3+ seen from Scillonian 111 by 15:30, also 3 Cory's Shearwaters, adult Sabine's Gull, Sooty Shearwater, 2 Black Terns, Knot, 4 Manx Shearwater, 5 Common Tern and several Common Dolphins

15:40 08/08/04 Wilson's Storm-petrel Scilly Scilly pelagic
two birds seen up to 15:00 from the Scillonian 111 pelagic, also 3 Cory's Shearwaters and an adult Sabine's Gull

21:30 10/08/03 Wilson's Storm-petrel Scilly Scilly pelagic
Scillonian III Pelagic: 3+ birds seen today, also 2 adult Sabine's Gulls, Sooty Shearwater and 20 Bonxies

21:09 10/08/02 the Scillonian pelagic due for tomorrow 5.00 has been cancelled due to engine trouble, a company representative will be on the quay at 4.00. Tickets will be refunded

4 reports returned.

Ive secumbed and am now going! Dan, i wouldnt bother with the scope mate, dont really need it. I went in 2000 and 2004. 2000 was flat calm and red hot weather. 2004 we hit the back end of hurricane Alex and although it calmed down after about 4 hrs, i was sick for the rest of the trip. Still managed excellent views of Wilson's on both trips and some superb Great shears in 2000.
I've been contacted by IOS steamship company today asking to advertise the trip on Cornwall Birding as they are only half full at the moment. Still, that only leaves 180 spaces so i'd get booking now if your thinking about going.

Absolutely.

With fuel costs so high just getting there for a lot of people is probably the same cost as going on the Scillonian. I know it would cost me only about £20 less than that.

John

Paul, you should have replied with some simple logic, halve the price! ;)

I thought this one would be full as a new wave of birders has arrived since the last trip. Worrying as they will probably knock on the head for next year, and probably why they did before.

I'm on the Sapphire on the evening of the 1/8 if any forum members are going on that?

High risk strategy and costly! I can't believe the Scillonian is £95 return to Scilly. A lot for a family of four to do a day trip!

I've a chance of something on both crossings though plus the evening trip for hopefully Wilson's. Accomodation booked - a nightmare in itself! Even the campsite couldn't squeeze in a one man pop up tent.

I think the Wilson's success so far this year is 2/3 trips so I'm fairly optimistic.

You can get it for as cheap as £8 for a child RSPB member for a day trip!! Day return prices are cheap compared to an overnight stay.

Dan, not possible to do a pelagic and use the £25 adult RSPB concession. You must be there and back same day for the cheap rate.

Compare the £95 price with Caledonian MacBrayne. I can get a 15 day rover ticket allowing me to hop between any of the islands in that time for £76.

I fear the whole Scilly shebang may be squeezing the last breath out of the goose this or next year. Pelagics out of St Mary's with Joe Pender at £25 a pop, I remember when they used to be £15 and that was not too long ago.

You can go abroad now for the cost of parking your car in Penzance for two weeks!

Wealth is becoming too centralised to the few in society and they will continue to fill Scilly. The rest of us will just take our ball and play elsewhere. Simple economics.

Just found my notes for my trip in 1997

10 August 1997, Weather: clear, sea dead calm!

2+ Wilson's Storm Petrels
600+ Storm Petrels
1 Shearwater sp (not large!)
50+ Great Skuas
2 Sabine Gulls adults
9 Black-tailed Godwits
2 Pied Flycatchers
1 Spotted Flycatcher

Not the best but everyone bar one in our crew wanted Wilson's so good result and no seasickness (which I suffer from!)

Trip was made up on the 9th by Lifer Aquatic Warbler at West Bexington and return on 11th for second helping of Semi-palmated Plover with a juv Kentish Plover for company.

Hope you all enjoy it this year.

Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back