• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beidaihe Autumn (1 Viewer)

Ross Ahmed

I've heard that a reputed bird tours company are not running trips to Beidaihe in autumn due combination of cold conditions and smog. Apparently they do run winter trips however, due to the smog not being a problem (although the temperatures are still low).

Is the smog something which has a big impact on birding in the autumn? Would people who have been in autumn advise against it?

Cheers in advance.

I went to Beidaihe back in late Sept/early Oct 1997 and didn't have any problems with smog or cold.

I don't doubt that smog has got worse since then, but can't really comment on if it is really so bad now that it interferes with birding.

Cold might be a problem if you go later in the autumn for the cranes etc, but I chose to go earlier because my main interest was the Siberian passerines which turn up here as vagrants.

Hope that is some help.

I ever go to Beidaihe in Oct and I don't think smog is a problem.
Winter is not a good time. Many migrate birds have gone to the South.
This spring, sing birds are not as good as last year. I hope it will be better this fall.

Ross,

I work for the reputed tour company involved and have spent several late Autumn periods based in Beidaihe. Last years trip, from mid to late October, to fit in with the main Crane and Raptor movement at times bordered on the Apocalyptic! Wind conditions particularly from the west and south brought incredibly poor visibility for periods up to three days at a time - the birds still move but you just can't see them until they're virtually on top of you! We are assuming that much of this problem was down to the staggering amount of building work going on in Beijing and the new industrial, coal fired builds to the south of Beidaihe. The journey from Beijing to Beidaihe by road (highway closed because of fog!) was one of the strangest I've completed (I've visited Beidaihe many times) for the whole six hour journey, everything was covered in a layer of cement dust all the way to the coast - a whiteout!!
Beidaihe is in the small part, hosting it's own Olympic action with the football taking place just up the road. This meant many new developments within Beidaihe and on some of the more familiar birding localities with the Sandflats, Coast Rd and Reservoir being severely disturbed at times ( I've just come back from Beidaihe and it's still going on!!)

So, I/We decided that during this period of change It might be a disaster to take people over there and spend days not seeing much because you just can't see. I shall be back this year hoping that, as with 2006, winds from the north, clear conditions and spectacular birding and am banking on China's Olympic/Development building works including the Beidaihe area having finally been completed.

Regards

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back