• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

City birdwatching (1 Viewer)

smokenack

I have a month in northern Borneo (Sarawak, Brunei and Sabah) starting next week. My friend that is travelling with me has absolutely no interest in birds so I'll be doing most of my birdwatching as and when I can. Do you have any recommendations for sites in cities that I can take a look at?

We're going to Mulu but I don't know how many more parks I can drag him through. What would be the best other national park to visit, Kinabalu HQ perhaps?

thanks

Nick

Not a lot of birding around town in Kuching and KK (now the wetland has just been drained in KK). In fact not much to do in both cities. Kinabalu NP is great and suggest you at least take your friend for a walk from the HQ to the Liwagu restaurant for a drink or meal - good birding up to and around the restaurant area and even from the restaurant.

If you get to Sepilok then a walk along the canopy walkway at the Discovery Centre is a must as it is one of the best places in Sabah to see Bristlehead (had 3 there last week). Also it's a great place to see flying squirrels at dusk.

Mulu NP is slow birding IMHO and you'll need to be out very early to see much, as most of the birds vanish as soon as the groups start walking the boardwalks. Get to the caves just before dusk for the exit of the bats so you get to see Bat Hawks.

Best of luck

Couldn't agree more. Kinabalu NP is a must ( I've had Fruithunter from the restaurant ). If you are going to try for Sepilok see if you can ( and don't tell your mate beforehand ) go for the Swiftlets at Gomantong. It's where David Attenborough filmed the HUGE pile of guano. Good luck.

Chris

Couldn't agree more. Kinabalu NP is a must ( I've had Fruithunter from the restaurant ). If you are going to try for Sepilok see if you can ( and don't tell your mate beforehand ) go for the Swiftlets at Gomantong. It's where David Attenborough filmed the HUGE pile of guano. Good luck.

Chris

The Swiftlets wont be easy at Gomtantong at the moment as it is not breeding season. The guys were harvesting the nests between 22 and 30 December, it was really interesting to watch though. Why not get your mate to carry on to the Kinabatangan though for the mammals - you'll get plenty of good birds birds as well down the river.

Thanks for your help. Yes Sepilok is more his cup of tea so there's hope yet. I'm an early morning type as well which he isn't so that gives me a couple of hours every day before he surfaces.

cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

I spent 6 days based in Kuching end of last year. I have just finished putting a brief trip report together and was going to upload it onto the internet in the next few days. Are you going there? If so Ill make sure I find some time to upload it this weekend.

Cheers

Hi Gareth, yes we start in Kuching on Tuesday. I'd love to see your report.

thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

Trip report posted next door.

I visited Sarawak with two wildlife enthusiasts and photographers, but not birders. Their favourite place was Bako. Its on the coast and the tourist route, has a cafe to relax in and serves beer too. The Proboscis and other wildlife are right in the HQ and 'resort'. If you are only day tripping leave on the first bus or get an early taxi. I would recommend staying a night though.

I managed to convince my mates to go to Kubah, which has the best lowland forest within very close distance to Kuching, but there is not much for the non nature/outdoors lover.

A place we didnt visit but is again on the standard tourist route is Semenoggok Forest. They have a daily Orang Utan feeding for tourists at the centre there, which should be in the guide books. The Orang Utan arent wild, but they are in some lowland forest where there is reasonable birding, including some sought after species. Would be well worth looking into.

All lowland forests were hot and humid and bird activity was pretty low during my visit (eg lower than at Taman Negara visited a week later). Borneo is an amazing island for wildlife though.

http://www.sarawakforestry.com/htm/snp-nr-semenggoh.html

Last edited:
Thanks Gareth, my mate's a professional photographer that likes a beer so Bako should suit just fine. I reckon I'll get him to anywhere there are Orang Utans as well.

cheers for your help

Nick

Thanks Gareth, my mate's a professional photographer that likes a beer so Bako should suit just fine. I reckon I'll get him to anywhere there are Orang Utans as well.

cheers for your help

Nick

Then you got to go on the Kinabatangan river as both of you will enjoy it so much. We had 8 wild Orang Utans in 2 days + crocs, Probiscus monkeys and pygmy Elephants. But also 4 types of Hornbill, Storm Stork, Hooded Pitta, many Kingfishers, Bee eaters etc etc etc all from our boat. The best is Kinabatangan Jungle Camp. PM me if you want details.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back