• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best time to visit Borneo ? Any sites to add ? (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
We are looking at a tour of Borneo that covers the following sites. It would be focused on wildlife and scenery but with an emphasis on birds. Which are the best months to visit (it seems Nov-Feb should be avoided?) and are there any obvious reserves or stops that we should factor in ??

Thanks
Tony

DAY 2 - KINABALU NATIONAL PARK Kinabalu Park Cabin
DAY 3 - KINABALU NATIONAL PARK Kinabalu Park Cabin
DAY 4 - PORING HOT SPRINGS Poring Park Cabin
DAY 5 - SEPILOK ORANG-UTAN REHABILITATION CENTRE Sepilok Nature Resort
DAY 6 - SELINGAN ISLAND Selingan Island Cabin
DAY 7 - KINABATANGAN RIVER Abai Jungle Lodge
DAY 8 - KINABATANGAN RIVER Kinabatangan Riverside Lodge
DAY 9 - KINABATANGAN RIVER Kinabatangan Riverside Lodge
DAY 10 - DANUM VALLEY Borneo Rainforest Lodge
DAY 11 - DANUM VALLEY Borneo Rainforest Lodge
DAY 12 - DANUM VALLEY Borneo Rainforest Lodge

Tony, I'm a bit behind the times re Borneo now but as a starting point, go to cloudbirders on the web and call up East Malaysia trip reports. It will graph the months for loads of posted trip reports and you can see the peak times there (and just as importantly, the troughs). Not infallible but a good staring point.

That's a whistle stop tour you have at the mo but superb for locations and potential...

Tony, I'm a bit behind the times re Borneo now but as a starting point, go to cloudbirders on the web and call up East Malaysia trip reports. It will graph the months for loads of posted trip reports and you can see the peak times there (and just as importantly, the troughs). Not infallible but a good staring point.

That's a whistle stop tour you have at the mo but superb for locations and potential...

Thanks. Yes have looked at the reports but they tend to line up with holiday slots. Just wondered if there were particular months where birds were more active/visible eg in the UK April May and Sept are bad months but June/July not so good. Glad to heat the itinerary looks about right with no obvious omissions !

thanks
Tony

Only been twice

Tony

We have only been to Borneo twice April and September both times were good for endemic birds which was why we were there but too early late/ early for most migrants. Weather was also pretty good both times.

My bother-in law went Oct last year and there was make issues with smoke from the forest burning further south in Indonesian Borneo, poor visibility and planes cancelled.

Our most recent September trip had a similar itinerary to yours, report attached for info on what we saw.

Hope helpful

David

Attachments

• Borneo and Singapore.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 155
Hi Tony,

I've just returned from a short trip to Sabah and found out that the only way to go beyond the Timpohon Gate in Kinabalu NP is on the organised tours. I was told day passes are no longer sold because of 'safety concerns' following a recent earthquake (which I thought was bollocks). So make sure you arrange everything in advance with your guide or the company that runs the services in the national park, otherwise you'll miss out on the high altitude species. The trogon and broadbill were both easy along the Silau-Silau trail, but for the Spiderhunter you'll need to find flowering trees (not many there when I visited in March). Note that the Bukit Ular trail and the access road to Mesilou are also both closed at the moment.
I also recommend you spend some time in the Crocker Range for the mid-elevation species. I saw quite a few species that I didn't see at Kinabalu, including Bornean Barbet, Bulbul, Leafbird, Swiftlet (breeds at the Gunung Alab roadside restaurant) and Whitehead's Spiderhunter. There's a nice place to stay at Mahua Waterfall (very basic but lovely spot) or at the Gunung Alab substation (the road there had loads of flycatchers and Sunda Bush Warbler). I was recommended the Crocker Nature Centre a bit further south by two French birders, but sadly didn't have the time.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!
Joost

Last edited:
Tony

We have only been to Borneo twice April and September both times were good for endemic birds which was why we were there but too early late/ early for most migrants. Weather was also pretty good both times.

My bother-in law went Oct last year and there was make issues with smoke from the forest burning further south in Indonesian Borneo, poor visibility and planes cancelled.

Our most recent September trip had a similar itinerary to yours, report attached for info on what we saw.

Hope helpful

David

Thanks David - looks like you had a great trip

Hi Tony,

I've just returned from a short trip to Sabah and found out that the only way to go beyond the Timpohon Gate in Kinabalu NP is on the organised tours. I was told day passes are no longer sold because of 'safety concerns' following a recent earthquake (which I thought was bollocks). So make sure you arrange everything in advance with your guide or the company that runs the services in the national park, otherwise you'll miss out on the high altitude species. The trogon and broadbill were both easy along the Silau-Silau trail, but for the Spiderhunter you'll need to find flowering trees (not many there when I visited in March). Note that the Bukit Ular trail and the access road to Mesilou are also both closed at the moment.
I also recommend you spend some time in the Crocker Range for the mid-elevation species. I saw quite a few species that I didn't see at Kinabalu, including Bornean Barbet, Bulbul, Leafbird, Swiftlet (breeds at the Gunung Alab roadside restaurant) and Whitehead's Spiderhunter. There's a nice place to stay at Mahua Waterfall (very basic but lovely spot) or at the Gunung Alab substation (the road there had loads of flycatchers and Sunda Bush Warbler). I was recommended the Crocker Nature Centre a bit further south by two French birders, but sadly didn't have the time.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!
Joost

Thanks for the advice Joost. Still a year to plan and look forward to it !

Tony, compare the Thailand trend on cloudbirders with the Borneo one - very different, I think there's more to it than just Xmas, Easter and summer hols. Drilling down a level, check when someone like BirdtourASIA go.
Cheers,
Andy.

Summer (June-August) is considered best by many for activity in Borneo, but I remember James / Robert saying that e.g. Malaysia is good any time of year and probably also Borneo can be as good / rewarding in e.g. March / April.

I now have the scope to add 2-3 days to this itinerary. Where would you suggest we should spend the extra time without too large a detour ?

thanks
Tony

DAY 2 - KINABALU NATIONAL PARK Kinabalu Park Cabin
DAY 3 - KINABALU NATIONAL PARK Kinabalu Park Cabin
DAY 4 - PORING HOT SPRINGS Poring Park Cabin
DAY 5 - SEPILOK ORANG-UTAN REHABILITATION CENTRE Sepilok Nature Resort
DAY 6 - SELINGAN ISLAND Selingan Island Cabin
DAY 7 - KINABATANGAN RIVER Abai Jungle Lodge
DAY 8 - KINABATANGAN RIVER Kinabatangan Riverside Lodge
DAY 9 - KINABATANGAN RIVER Kinabatangan Riverside Lodge
DAY 10 - DANUM VALLEY Borneo Rainforest Lodge
DAY 11 - DANUM VALLEY Borneo Rainforest Lodge
DAY 12 - DANUM VALLEY Borneo Rainforest Lodge

You could add a day at Klias peatswamp reserve, near Beaufort. Not high species diversity, but a very easy site to cover, and a good chance of some scarce species e.g. Hook-billed Bulbul. You could also do an overnight trip to Mantanani island from Kota Belud.

Neither is going to add many new species, but they do provide something different. A day at the Rainforest Discovery Centre at Sepilok might also be worthwhile.

Alternatively, with 3 days and a vehicle, you might just have enough time to visit Paya Maga in Sarawak... superb birding + guaranteed Black Oriole.

I now have the scope to add 2-3 days to this itinerary. Where would you suggest we should spend the extra time without too large a detour ?

I suggest more days at Mt Kinabalu, Sepilok or Danum. Unless you are extremely lucky, 5-6 days are needed to catch up with all endemics on Mt Kinabalu. Sepilok I did 3 days, Danum 6 days and still left without seeing lots of species. There is a comment in Where 'To Watch Birds in Asia', that Danum may deserve a month on its own.

See my report on Cloudbirders.

Bornean Swiftlets were breeding at the Timpohon gate structure when I was there (go to the first floor).

I suggest more days at Mt Kinabalu, Sepilok or Danum. Unless you are extremely lucky, 5-6 days are needed to catch up with all endemics on Mt Kinabalu. Sepilok I did 3 days, Danum 6 days and still left without seeing lots of species. There is a comment in Where 'To Watch Birds in Asia', that Danum may deserve a month on its own.

Bornean Swiftlets were breeding at the Timpohon gate structure when I was there (go to the first floor).

I agree divide the time up between Kinabalu, Sepilok and Danum. If you go to the Danum Valley Field Center you can save ALOT of money a week there food/transport there/back and dorm type lodging cost about 275USD for 6 nights 7 days. Its easier to arrange then the web site suggests. I personally would either just skip or spend just 1 full day at Kinabatagan as well. I also wouldn't waste the time of going to Klias (unless you can get even more time and go to the highly recommended Paya Maga/Bakalan) as the specialties there are hard to get now. Also Poring Hot Springs could be skipped. The Gamongtong Caves are worth a half day as well. Lodges at Kinabatagan should offer tours or you can go on your own as its on the way to Danum from Kinabatagan. Also unless you do an expensive special "Birders Package" at Kinabatagan you can almost forget about seeing the Bornean Ground Cuckoo...we ended up with good views of one at Danum Valley Field Center. We spent a month birding Borneo independently in March, which was is great time to go. We saw almost all the endemics, with a few minor exceptions. Total cost was about 800usd.

Thanks Guys that's really useful. I will add an extra day at Kinabalu Sepilok/rainforest discovery centre and Danum. The tour will be booked through Reef & Rainforest so while I'm sure they will pick decent accommodation and guides etc are there any particular trails or places to go to at each of these sites rather than just leaving it in their hands ? For example I have read on here that the kingfisher trail and canopy walk are great at RDC and at Kinabatangan River it is worth skipping any jungle walks for an extra boat trip if possible.
The gomantong caves are already scheduled on the way to Danum.

Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited:
Selingen island is apparently a no go at the moment. Is it worth adding a night or two at Tabin or are the birds there similar to other locations I'm already visiting ? I'm sure I read that bird photography is better here as there is less canopy and more natural light ?

Hi,
I would not add any new sites to your plan, and skip Poring. The reason is that your time is short, and Borneo has so many low density, skulking species that you really need more than 2-3 days at every site. Otherwise you waste time traveling.

Good advice to go to Danum Valley Field Center, and especially try to rent a bungalow/house, if still available, not a place in the communal dorm/hostel (they may be called differently). You may pretend you are a group, but show up alone saying the rest of the group got whatever excuse. It will still be much cheaper than ultra-expensive Borneo Rainforest Lodge. Don't be put off by communication problems. People running that place have little idea what is this all ecotourism about, but try to be helpful.

Otherwise organize your travel in the afternoons, which are usually rainy, and spend every early morning in the field.

Concerning Bornean Ground Cuckoo - during my visit it was heard almost every time in a narrow side channel. By luck, one time it was calling right at the water edge and I could see it. I left the boat and tried to follow it, but could not see it. Perhaps the better idea would be to ask your boatman (if he is reasonably savvy) to walk around in a loop and try to herd the bird towards you.

Good advice to go to Danum Valley Field Center, and especially try to rent a bungalow/house, if still available, not a place in the communal dorm/hostel (they may be called differently). You may pretend you are a group, but show up alone saying the rest of the group got whatever excuse. It will still be much cheaper than ultra-expensive Borneo Rainforest Lodge. Don't be put off by communication problems. People running that place have little idea what is this all ecotourism about, but try to be helpful.

Otherwise organize your travel in the afternoons, which are usually rainy, and spend every early morning in the field.
Thanks. If it was just me I would do this but Mrs K will also have a say so I'm sure it will be the BRL we will stay at. While my wife is interested in the birds it's mainly mammals and bugs for her so will be a bit of a compromise. Throughout I'll be making sure the hotels know to provide guides who know their birds and I'm sure early morning starts will be the order of the day !

We have decided to add 2 nights at Tabin but aren't sure whether to have 2 full days at Kinabalu or 2 full days at Sepilok. We have to drop one day from one of the 2 !

Spend any extra days at Kinabalu. You already have a reasonable amount of time in lowland forest, and Mt Kinabalu has a lot of important endemics you won't see elsewhere on your itinerary.

We have decided to add 2 nights at Tabin but aren't sure whether to have 2 full days at Kinabalu or 2 full days at Sepilok. We have to drop one day from one of the 2 !

Personally, I would drop Tabin altogether. Nice place but extra driving time for no additional specialities (other than Sabah Hose's Langur), all the birds found at Tabin are at Danum Valley, so it's a bit of a waste of 6 hours driving. It is nice general birding and mammaling though.

As Duncan says, more time at Mt K the better. I'd be tempted to skip Sepilok altogether too, and replace it with more days for Mt Kinabalu, if it's the endemics you're after.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back