• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best feeder and feed for woodpeckers? (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

I have a Squirrel Buster Plus (by Brome) and have been very happy with it. For about a week, a downy woodpecker has been a regular morning visitor, though he never stays long; he tries to eat, but without a tail prop ends up in an awkward position, and after a few minutes leaves. We have a red bellied woodpecker that comes by less frequently, and it's the same situation. So, I'm looking for a woodpecker feeder, and am thinking about a hanging suet feeder with tail prop...something like THIS. Is that a good choice? Also, with Dallas temps currently going to 100+ daily, what would be the best suet to put in it?
Thanks!

That is *precisely* the thing I would recommend... a suet feeder with a tail prop! For extra large woodpeckers, like a pileated woodpecker, you would need to make sure to order a suet feeder with an *extra long* tail prop (exactly like the one you listed here). Woodpeckers sometimes use our feeders, but it's kind of rare since they can't perch the same as other smaller birds. We haven't gotten a platform feeder yet, but those would be the feeders they'd be most likely to use.

I buy suet cakes from the grocery store and they will eat every single type I buy, but they seem to really prefer the ones with peanuts or other mixed nuts. In hot weather, make sure you get the "all year round/all season" suet cakes, they do not melt. You could also visit the butcher for suet and mix your own recipes, but I think that may have issues melting. For seed, they really like black oil sunflower seeds, anything with fruit or nuts, and cracked corn.

I'll try to attach a photo of how my RBWO feeds from one of our feeders... but 98% of the time, he only uses our suet feeders. Good luck, and take photos to share with us!
:-O

Attachments

• mybabyboychucky.jpg
    mybabyboychucky.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I have the same feeder as you, the Squirrel Buster Plus. You know here in Texas, squirrels can be a huge problem. I have out all types of suet out. They pretty much eat any type of suet here in Texas, with peanut, orange, and mealworm suets being the favorites in my yard. I use the squirrel proof type of feeders to feed. The woodpeckers have no problems getting the suet out because they have really long beaks. They hang off the side or hang upside down on the bottom. I have Downy, Red Bellied, Pileated, and Northern Flickers, and they all eat very well. They are able to get huge chunks and run off with it. I buy all my supplies at Tractor Supply. Best deal on bird supplies in the Dallas area. The Royal Wing no melt blends do really well in the heat we have here. I got this suet feeder there for $17. The Squirrel Buster Peanut Plus feeder is a really great addition too. I fill mine with peanuts, walnuts, pecans, and almonds and its very very very popular. The woodpeckers love this feeder!!

Attachments

• suet.jpg
    suet.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 33
  • woody1.jpg
    woody1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 38
  • Peanuts Small.jpg
    Peanuts Small.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
It is my experience that woodpeckers can learn to use most types of feeder. I've attached a few examples of woodpeckers and some of the feeders that I use. I could probably dig through my archives and find other feeder styles being used by woodpeckers if that would be any help. the suet feeder in the background of the one shot is empty but only because it is so popular that I have a hard time keeping it filled.

Attachments

• DOWO_18-05-25_IMG_4525.1.jpg
    DOWO_18-05-25_IMG_4525.1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 40
  • RBWO_MG_3043.1..jpg
    RBWO_MG_3043.1..jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 27
  • RBWOIMG_1891.1.jpg
    RBWOIMG_1891.1.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 38
  • HAWO_18-06-25_IMG_4783.2..JPG
    HAWO_18-06-25_IMG_4783.2..JPG
    428.9 KB · Views: 34
I meant to address the question of feed types but forgot. Picture #1 is shelled peanuts, # 2 is a good quality seed mix, # 3 is Black-oil Sunflower and # 4 is a finch mix with a suet feeder in the background. The BOS, the peanuts and the suet are by far the most popular.

I have the same feeder as you, the Squirrel Buster Plus. You know here in Texas, squirrels can be a huge problem. I have out all types of suet out. They pretty much eat any type of suet here in Texas, with peanut, orange, and mealworm suets being the favorites in my yard. I use the squirrel proof type of feeders to feed. The woodpeckers have no problems getting the suet out because they have really long beaks. They hang off the side or hang upside down on the bottom. I have Downy, Red Bellied, Pileated, and Northern Flickers, and they all eat very well. They are able to get huge chunks and run off with it. I buy all my supplies at Tractor Supply. Best deal on bird supplies in the Dallas area. The Royal Wing no melt blends do really well in the heat we have here. I got this suet feeder there for $17. The Squirrel Buster Peanut Plus feeder is a really great addition too. I fill mine with peanuts, walnuts, pecans, and almonds and its very very very popular. The woodpeckers love this feeder!!

I have seen these "squirrel proof" suet feeders with the cage around it and they have always baffled me (pun intended, lol)… the openings appear really large, definitely look big enough for a squirrel to fit his head into, or at least his arms/hands. Have you ever sat and watched a squirrel attempt to get into it and what were your observations??

It is my experience that woodpeckers can learn to use most types of feeder. I've attached a few examples of woodpeckers and some of the feeders that I use. I could probably dig through my archives and find other feeder styles being used by woodpeckers if that would be any help. the suet feeder in the background of the one shot is empty but only because it is so popular that I have a hard time keeping it filled.

These are some absolutely GORGEOUS photos of these awesome little creatures!! Look at Downy, all plump and full of suet and nuts!! :-O And that stunning little RBWO lady, using her smarts to get to the seed in the feeder by propping her tail on the bottom, bravo pretty princess!! :t:

I didn't think they could get their giant beaks into the tiny holes of the mesh feeders, that's neat!

*sigh* I just adore these guys.

I have seen these "squirrel proof" suet feeders with the cage around it and they have always baffled me (pun intended, lol)… the openings appear really large, definitely look big enough for a squirrel to fit his head into, or at least his arms/hands. Have you ever sat and watched a squirrel attempt to get into it and what were your observations??

Here in Texas our squirrels are really big. I've seen many that are as large as a small cat. They cannot even get their heads thru the squares. They will go around in a circle on the outside, and they will dangle from wherever, and chew the wires. They usually give up fairly easy, and climb back up to the branch, or just jump down to the ground. I have 8 total of these suet feeders. Usually beginning right after the fall harvest, when birds start coming back to the feeders, all thru winter into the spring, I have all 8 of them in service. Once we warm up in the summer like now, I have just 4 of them in service at the moment, about to go down to 3 after my home made suet runs out. They work really well with seed cakes also, which I have used.

Now, having said all that, I have watched videos on Youtube made with these feeders where small red squirrels and chipmunks, usually in the northern areas of the USA, just jump right thru them with ease. But, we dont have any like that here in Dallas, Texas that I've ever seen, and I grew up here.

This is NOT my video, but you can see how the larger squirrels like we have act:
https://youtu.be/WJGp-dTYmwk

I've seen people make a lot of comments about how woodpeckers cant feed because the larger ones cant fit thru the holes, but woodpeckers do have larger beaks. I havent seen any yet that were turned away without being able to feed. I was actually surprised at how well they learn to use these feeders, but there are probably a lot of them out there in neighborhoods. They are very common in the stores here, and Amazon, Ebay. The smaller woodpeckers like the downy, they just go inside and eat. The larger ones like the red bellied, can stick their heads inside and grab huge chunks. Some hang upside down and peck and let it fall on their stomachs, and then scoop it up. It seems when theres food involved, they learn really fast.

These arent for everyone though. Everybody has their own preferences of how they feed, I understand that. I just refuse to feed squirrels the good stuff. I keep a 14 inch terra cotta saucer on the ground, and I fill it with that cheapo bird seed you can buy 50 pounds for $8, and I throw some raisins, and sometimes a hand full of peanuts. I call it my diversion platter. Usually after the annoyance animals realize they cant get the good stuff, they go down there and find something. I've noticed that birds dont seem to stick around very long anyhow. Theres usually a Fedex or UPS truck that comes flying thru the neighborhood and scares them out for a few. Then they come back, and try all over again ;)

Last edited:
I forgot to say, they drive the mourning doves crazy more than anything! They are always sitting on top, trying to hook their neck around to reach a bite, but they cant, and it really makes them crazy! :eek!:

The Squirrel Buster brand typically is set up so that the weight of a squirrel causes the opening to the food to close. These videos show a few variations...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGHhrX2pEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKT4qrEtdQI

I have the second one. It really does work. Also attracts all kinds of birds,

Is there a particular suet mix that woodpeckers seem to like more? Is there a brand that's better than others (especially when it comes to the no melt aspect)?

Also, I've seen the ones with red pepper mixed in...supposedly squirrels don't like it. Is that true? What about the birds?

Thanks!

Is there a particular suet mix that woodpeckers seem to like more? Is there a brand that's better than others (especially when it comes to the no melt aspect)?

Also, I've seen the ones with red pepper mixed in...supposedly squirrels don't like it. Is that true? What about the birds?

Thanks!

I have yet to buy a type of suet that the woodies refuse to eat, they really do love them ALL! I try to get the ones made by reputable brands, like the Audubon ones, but they'll definitely still eat the dollar store ones. They prefer the ones with the nuts, fruit, and mealworms. I can barely get the suet out fast enough, it goes so fast at my house.

Re: hot peppers... in my personal experience, the squirrels adapt to this much faster than I thought they would. They left it alone for the first few days, then decided they didn't mind it so much and resumed feeding. I think I have some pretty determined squirrels here though.

Actually, the brand is called "Audubon Park", not "Audubon". But one of the most popular brands around me is this "C&S" company, and the birds gobble them up! I have included some photos of some of the types I use.

Attachments

• suet.jpg
    suet.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 20
  • suet2.jpg
    suet2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 29
Actually, the brand is called "Audubon Park", not "Audubon". But one of the most popular brands around me is this "C&S" company, and the birds gobble them up! I have included some photos of some of the types I use.

Thanks! By the way, where in NY? I grew up on Long Island.

That C&S Peanut Delight is very very popular around here! If you only have one cake in your feeder, thats the way to go;)

I've got some C&S red pepper suet that's been outside for four or five days now. How long does it last during Dallas summers? The woodpeckers haven't found it yet (I don't think)...want to change it before it goes bad.

Thanks!

I've got some C&S red pepper suet that's been outside for four or five days now. How long does it last during Dallas summers? The woodpeckers haven't found it yet (I don't think)...want to change it before it goes bad.

Thanks!

I actually had to look this up because my suet blocks never last long enough to worry abt it going bad... but they say you can tell when suet goes bad because it will smell absolutely rancid! Typically around 2 weeks. :t: They advise that if your suet blocks don't last 2 weeks before going bad to put out quarter/half blocks and freeze the rest.

Thanks!

If its not in the sun, it could last for weeks here in the Dallas area. Once they find it, they will start going at it pretty quick. You wont have to throw any in the trash. If its "no melt" then you should be fine.

Like the previous poster said, start out by cutting smaller blocks, and put the rest in the fridge until needed. Suet blocks fit perfectly in sandwinch ziploc bags ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back