• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Burnetts - Pembrey, Carmarthenshire (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Whilst taking some pics of some six-spot burnetts, I noticed one that was on a different plant. One examining the picture it appears to be a five-spot. There is also a Narrow-bordered Five-spot, can anyone tell me which it is? I cannot tell from the picture, unfortunately, the only one I have.
Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• 1598.jpg
    1598.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 17
I doubt that it is safely identifiable but personally, I would favour Narrow-bordered Five-spot Burnet which has a longer narrower more pointed forewing (on average).

All the best

It all gets a bit confusing due to different races. We get both subspecies of Five-spot on my patch. This is too late in the year for the chalk downland race. The other race is a marshy and damp grassland moth and later in the year so flight time probably fits but not habitat? Narrow-bordered Five-spot Burnet is the common and ubiquitous species.

They are actually only separable as larvae (I think) where the pattern of black blotches differs as does the length of the hairs in fully grown caterpillars......

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back