• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Closest focusing binoculars (1 Viewer)

Jerry S

United Kingdom
Hi all, are there any high quality close focusing binoculars available.i have used the papilios 6.5 and the 8x but i dont see much quality and sharpness in the image. I do have some swaros 8.5x 42 which are excellent at 1.5 metres close focusing.i am really looking for closer still! Is there anything else available?

Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 has a close focus of slightly less than
1.5m, at least for me, and they are much smaller and lighter than your 8.5x42. (interestingly, B&H lists the close focus of the FL 8x32 as 12.8m!).

We use close-focusing binos a lot and I mean intensively for all kinds of applications. Recently we were surveying bogs in Scotland for the tiny Bog Orchid. One can't approach the bog too closely as these tiny orchids grow in it but also around the edges and close-focusing binos allow searching among the taller vegetation for them. A big one is 2 inches tall and many are much smaller.

The best quality bino we have found for this is Leica's Tinovid HD 8x32 with a close focus of just 1 metre and both of our examples actually focus a bit closer than this. They are brilliant at this job and you never need to step back because you are too close to stuff which means you avoid spooking animals or insects with your movement and you avoid trampling vegetation behind you. If you want to use this as an all-round bino though it falls short on fov with 124m. As an all-rounder I use a Zeiss Conquest HD with 140m fov and 1.5m close focus. It has a quick focus too so you can get onto distant birds and back on nearby subjects without wasting time finger pumping on the focus wheel. Zeiss's FL 8x32 as recommended by Peter is also brilliant but more expensive.

Lee

We use close-focusing binos a lot and I mean intensively for all kinds of applications. Recently we were surveying bogs in Scotland for the tiny Bog Orchid. One can't approach the bog too closely as these tiny orchids grow in it but also around the edges and close-focusing binos allow searching among the taller vegetation for them. A big one is 2 inches tall and many are much smaller.

The best quality bino we have found for this is Leica's Tinovid HD 8x32 with a close focus of just 1 metre and both of our examples actually focus a bit closer than this. They are brilliant at this job and you never need to step back because you are too close to stuff which means you avoid spooking animals or insects with your movement and you avoid trampling vegetation behind you. If you want to use this as an all-round bino though it falls short on fov with 124m. As an all-rounder I use a Zeiss Conquest HD with 140m fov and 1.5m close focus. It has a quick focus too so you can get onto distant birds and back on nearby subjects without wasting time finger pumping on the focus wheel. Zeiss's FL 8x32 as recommended by Peter is also brilliant but more expensive.

Lee
Thanks very much Lee, very helpful

Lee
I have just bought the leica hd 8x32 , really looking forward to them 👍

Wow that was a quick decision! From what Lee said about the HD 8x32 I am sure that you could not find a better bino for your application. Enjoy your new binos!

Jerrythesnake, I am sure you will be happy with your new binocular.
I checked this out before seeing that you had already made this purchase!
So, this is for the record, for others who seek very close focus.
The Leica Trinovid HD 10x32 is stated (by the manufr.) to have the same closest focus.
It should show even more detail, at its higher x and equal optical quality.

Last edited:
I have just bought the leica hd 8x32 , really looking forward to them 👍

Wow Jerry you are the fastest gun in the west! Seriously, my wife Troubadoris is a dedicated Leica girl and treasures her Ultravid 8x32s but when we need close focus capability she uses the Trinovid HDs all day and every day. You better believe it: to drag those Ultravids off her neck the Trinovid HDs have to be super special.

Enjoy your new binos and tell us about them when you have used them a little. If you really get into using close focus and there are some subjects that still elude you take a look at Zeiss Monocular 6x18. It is light and easy to carry in a pocket or on its neck strap and the close focus is phenomenal. Don't take too much notice of the 6x nominal magnification as the mag increases as you focus closer and closer.

Think of the bino as the great all-rounder and just as one might go to a scope for longer distances, the monocular steps up for shorter ones.

Your Trinovids will get you great views of creatures in ponds, rivers and seaside rock pools too. Who needs a snorkel and flippers when you have a Trinovid HD? :-O

Lee

Really

Don't take too much notice of the 6x nominal magnification as the mag increases as you focus closer and closer.

This is not a zoom eyepiece but a fixed magnification.........perhaps you meant as you approach closer to the subject. Puzzled!

The Zeiss binocular is superb for botanising, insects and other work as you say.

Thanks. Pat

Last edited:
Thank you Peter for the link, I will make some time to study this.....though a very quick scan of the thread leads me to what Lee has written in his post.
Pat

I can see you guys have sorted this question out while I have been out. Thanks Peter for doing the leg work and posting.

Me and Troubadoris have used these for ultra-close work for 21 years so when I say we can recommend them it isn't after a 5 minute look through them. They make a fine companion to the Trinovid.

Lee

Like Lee, I also have a 6x18 Zeiss monocular. Assuming a focal ratio of f/4 the objective would have a focal length of about 72 mm. The objective can be extended by 40 mm or let's say 38 mm from infinity focus to closest focus. So at closest focus the magnification is now about 6x110/72, or 9x with a corresponding reduction in the true angle of view.

It really depends on what you are going to be viewing. I find my 8x33 Kowa Genesis good for looking at butterflies but with reduced IPD still find it difficult to merge both images at its nominal close focus of 1,5 m. Viewing spiders (fairly stationary) I found the 6x18 Zeiss Mono a little unsteady at 7x or 8x magnification. The 3x12 Zeiss Mono was better, but a 2,5x hand loupe was the most comfortable of all.

John

Last edited:
Hi all, are there any high quality close focusing binoculars available.i have used the papilios 6.5 and the 8x but i dont see much quality and sharpness in the image. I do have some swaros 8.5x 42 which are excellent at 1.5 metres close focusing.i am really looking for closer still! Is there anything else available?

I guess you've got a solution on your hands, but since no one has commented, I'll just say that I'm surprised that you haven't found the sharpness and image quality of the Pentax Papilio satisfactory. I have the 6.5x in the original and the mark II versions, and I find both unmatched and uncompromising at close range. The newer version has better coatings and so has better contrast in some conditions. That said, I do frequently use other bins (esp. the Zeiss 8x32 FL, Browning 8x32, and the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket) at their close focus limits. I wish the 8.5x42 EL SV got a bit closer and had variable ratio focus. I haven't played with the Leica, but I will have to give it a try sometime.

--AP

I guess you've got a solution on your hands, but since no one has commented, I'll just say that I'm surprised that you haven't found the sharpness and image quality of the Pentax Papilio satisfactory. I have the 6.5x in the original and the mark II versions, and I find both unmatched and uncompromising at close range. The newer version has better coatings and so has better contrast in some conditions. That said, I do frequently use other bins (esp. the Zeiss 8x32 FL, Browning 8x32, and the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket) at their close focus limits. I wish the 8.5x42 EL SV got a bit closer and had variable ratio focus. I haven't played with the Leica, but I will have to give it a try sometime.

--AP[/QUOT After looking through the swarovision 8.5x42 things are never going to “pop” again . As i have said i have the papilio 6.5 and the 8x and although the near focusing is amazing optically for me they just dont cut it!I can say though that thanks to Lees advice i have gone for the leica 8x32 hd version with a 1 metre close focusing distance and love them! My opinion, i use binoculars predominantly for viewing insects! These are without doubt the best i have looked through for close up stuff! I could happily sell the swarovision 8.5x42 s for these☺️

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back