• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did I see a Grouse? (1 Viewer)

phiffdawg

Hello, I am a newbie to this forum and a herper who rapidly seems to be becoming a birder... I just saw a Grouse-type bird on my lunch break. I didn't get a photo because it took off but it had a lot of orange and black in it. Anyone know what i could have seen? I will try to get a photo of it sometime soon, although it will be difficult because it seems to be super wary.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I'm sorry I can't help with the indentification, but I'm sure there'll be someone along soon who can.

D

I just saw it again and it isn't a grouse...

I am looking at my bird book and now think I saw a King Rail. My question is are they found near rivers (not just marshes)?

delia todd said:
Hi Chris and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I'm sorry I can't help with the indentification, but I'm sure there'll be someone along soon who can.

D

Hi Chris, Welcome to BirdForum!

A King Rail would be quite a great find in Massachussetts, especially this time of year. If you're sure it's a rail, Clapper or Virginia would be much more likely. Can you describe any other physical aspects of the bird besides its color and wariness?

Hello Chris,
And another welcome to the Birdforum. Start chasing an interesting bird and before you know it you'll be a full fledged birder! Hope you enjoy it here (and solve your mystery birds ID).

The only description to add is that it had a long very thin bill and made a dove-like whistling sound when it flew off.

overworkedirish said:
Hi Chris, Welcome to BirdForum!

A King Rail would be quite a great find in Massachussetts, especially this time of year. If you're sure it's a rail, Clapper or Virginia would be much more likely. Can you describe any other physical aspects of the bird besides its color and wariness?

I think that you are probably correct Jeff! I just googled the snipe and it has quite a beak. I returned to the spot where I saw it and didn't see it today. I want to get a better look at it's face since that bill is so distinctive. Unfortunately both times I have spotted it have been mainly from the rear as it flew away from me. It seemed to have a lot more orange than the pics of snipes I have found on google.

Thanks! I certainly have never seen one of these around here before.

Jeff hopkins said:
Chris,

How about a Wilson's snipe?

JH

phiffdawg said:
I think that you are probably correct Jeff! I just googled the snipe and it has quite a beak. I returned to the spot where I saw it and didn't see it today. I want to get a better look at it's face since that bill is so distinctive. Unfortunately both times I have spotted it have been mainly from the rear as it flew away from me. It seemed to have a lot more orange than the pics of snipes I have found on google.

Thanks! I certainly have never seen one of these around here before.

American Woodcocks are beginning to display in the Northeast... is that your bird?

I think we've found my bird! Pretty neat considering I didn't get a photo or good look at it. The pics of the woodcock match the coloration of what I have been seeing. Thanks so much. Quite an odd bird when you've never seen one before.

overworkedirish said:
American Woodcocks are beginning to display in the Northeast... is that your bird?

phiffdawg said:
I think we've found my bird! Pretty neat considering I didn't get a photo or good look at it. The pics of the woodcock match the coloration of what I have been seeing. Thanks so much. Quite an odd bird when you've never seen one before.

It is an odd bird! I saw my first one of the season just a few days ago, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back