• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera to use with Nikon ED50A (1 Viewer)

Mari E

Japan young birder
I plan to start digiscoping with Nikon ED50A and am doing some research on which camera to use, but still haven't decided.

I want to digiscope just to get some decent record shots, and since I've got no big budget, I was thinking about buying a cheap-ish nikon compact digital camera.

I've got a friend who uses P310 with the ED50, so I thought P330 would be a good choice, however having tried some cameras in shop I'm also interested in coolpix S9500.

What camera works well with ED50? The only reason I'm thinking about buying a nikon camera is that I've always used nikon, but am interested in hearing about other cameras too.

The Oly TG 1 and 2 work well with the ED50, especially if you just want record shots. Unlike similar cameras, the lens is centered and because it zooms internally it makes it very easy to use handheld against the eyepiece. It even works with the MCII zoom.

The JPEG processing can be a little heavy handed sometimes and you cannot control the focus point but it focuses fast.

Thanks for the reply, TG 1/2 looks like a good easy-to-use camera, I've never used Olympus before so I will check it out in shop:t:
I see your point about the internal zoom, I've always used my old camera handheld against the eyepiece with no satisfactory results so it might be a good choice ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back