• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron and eyepiece issue (1 Viewer)

larryalbee

I am new to scopes. After reading the positive reviews here for the Baader Hyperion 17mm, I purchased one for my Celestron 80 ED Regal. I mounted it and it *is* a stunning view. However It takes several attempts of twisting, turning, and grunting before it will release from the throat of the scope. The factory zoom, although tight fitting, is much easier. I read one thread here with the opposite problem (difficulty mounting) that suggested slight lubrication may be of some help. Perhaps a technique I don't know about? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance. This is a wonderful resource.

I had the Regal 80 F-ED with the Baader 17mm and it was a tightish fit to the scope, but slackening off the tightening ring to its max helped a great deal. Also a very light smear of vasaline helped.

Thanks LesR for your prompt reply. I ended up applying a film of silicone to both the throat of the scope as well as the eyepiece's insert. That combined with gently "massaging" the extraction by rocking and rolling the eyepiece while applying upward pressure at the base of the eyepiece while I grasped the body of the scope seems to do the trick -- not exactly speedy!

As a retired photographer I am used to *quick* bayonet on/off lens changes (at least in the "old days" when primes were the name of the game -- today zooms rule). Having said that, I am intrigued with the options that are out there for 1 1/4 eyepieces on scopes. I guess I need to learn how to slow down in retirement -- I suspect that birding will help....

Thanks again
L

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back