• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SwaroNikES X95 47-163x zoom 92º constant AFOV (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

It took me several years to get an adapter to use astronomical material with the lens module of the X95...
After finding a CNC company available to produce the adapter, some months ago, I finally received the adapters.
Today I tested it quickly to see if it reached focus and it did. However the resulting image quality wasn't as good as with the all X95 set... :-C
Will try other eyepiece / material solutions but only after the end of this month. Meanwhile I show you how it looks...:king:

Attachments

• SwaroNikES.JPG
    SwaroNikES.JPG
    408.8 KB · Views: 354
I saw in other thread that you used the Nikon fieldscope camera adapter FSA-L2 to erect the image..is that the only possible configuration or some other prism could possibly reach focus in this set up?..
I recently bought a spare kowa 823 objective,with the idea of making a telescope ,and asked advice to the guys at ATM teleskopes,..They told me that the objective was designed with the prisms in the light path,some some overcorrection was added to the lens,and if i did make a telescope with other configuration the image would not be great...Could it be possible that your design is not effective in matching the Swaro lens ,thus not getting to the image quality level you get with the swaro module?

Last edited:
Yes, this combo has the FSA-L2 http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Nikon_FSA-L2 since I want also the zoom factor, besides erecting the image. I think other prisms should focus since focus is possible also with EMS, that as longer optical path than normal prisms or diagonals.

On my post I told that the image quality of this combo wasn't as good as on the complete STX combo. The issue you mention should be the reason and that's why I will test other material combinations since may will find a better solution.

For the image quality issue using only the lens module X95 you should see http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/539202-anyone-used-a-spotting-scope-for-astronomy/page-2 post 34 and 38, and also http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/426446-swarovski-atx-95-binoculars/page-3 post 73 and 135.

However, Swaro doesn't have a binomodule and I can use a binoviewer after the FSA-L2 - see http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#CR-binoviewing ... :king:

I saw in other thread that you used the Nikon fieldscope camera adapter FSA-L2 to erect the image..is that the only possible configuration or some other prism could possibly reach focus in this set up?..
I recently bought a spare kowa 823 objective,with the idea of making a telescope ,and asked advice to the guys at ATM teleskopes,..They told me that the objective was designed with the prisms in the light path,some some overcorrection was added to the lens,and if i did make a telescope with other configuration the image would not be great...Could it be possible that your design is not effective in matching the Swaro lens ,thus not getting to the image quality level you get with the swaro module?

Hi mayoayo,

you still could make a telescope - even if it doesn't work too well with a star diagonal, you could add glass path with an amici or better diagonal prism. Or even a binoviewer - this would also make for a nice rich-field experience...

On the other hand, you could just get a 1.25" adapter for an 883 and see what's possible... that is if you have one...

Joachim

Hi David,

I always like to read about your optical adventures - the TMB combo is very cool although heavy...

I make do with my ED80/600 and the Baader Zoom plus barlow... works great up to 120x - more in a pinch.

Joachim

Thanks Joachim.

I do the optical experiences for fun but also because I'm pursuing the ultimate ability to see cr-birds at long distances...o:D
The high image quality STX 95 is "ruining" a bit my fun since raised the standard too high...;)
I knew that the image quality of this combo shouldn't be as good as with the STX but I was expecting that the higher mags and the 92º constant AFOV would compensate it. It doesn't seem so but will have to test it with the Ethos17, with the HW 12.5, the Nagler22, ... and that takes time that I will not have until the end of the month...:-C
The idea of replacing the TMB92 by the X95 was also to gain on weight and dimensions, but also because of the internal focus of the X95 and that it's available for purchasing, which is not the case of the TMB92.

Are using a diagonal or prism with your ED80/600?

Hi David,

I'm using the kit 2" diagonal which came with the ED80 - the horizontal flip is not too much of a problem since it resides on a little GEM at my bedroom window overlooking the river and a little bird refuge at the other bank and aiming with the GEM is a bit different anyways...

On the other hand, that way I can quicky grab the GEM plus scope and carry it on the balcony for night use.

When I have it on a normal tripod and head (happens rarely since my old Kowa is a lot more portable and good up to 85x too), I feel like I miss an amici prism, which will probably impair the view...

Regarding the Swaro objective - I think you are breaking the limit of what a fast ED doublet can do - you either need a slower doublet (ED80 or larger from that series at f7.5 to f9) or a triplet (like your TMB).
I could image that the big brothers of the ED80, Evostar 100/900 and 120/900 would work nicely too and give more exit pupil and resolution for cheap. But with you current 3.5x "zoom" this will give too much magnification unless you use uncle al's hand grenade...

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi Joachim,

The "problem" is that the X lens modules were designed to work with the X ocular modules, being that these last one correct the image "problems" of the first...
I considered the use of flat field astro telescopes to avoid the field curvature of the TMB92 but these are much larger, heavier and expensive, specially if would go for one of the best brands... The X95 could be a smaller, lighter and less expensive alternative...http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=334364
I consider the ED80/600 already too long to use with the rest of the combo - I need to use tube extensions to reach focus...

Hi David,

if the ED80 is too long and you want a flat image... Skywatcher offers a 0.85x reducer/flattener for each the ED80/100/120 doublets - the ED80 then has 510mm like your TMB plus a flat field... available and cheap too - but you lose some aperture...

Joachim

I am interested in this adapter that You designed.would you be able to post a picture of the adapters ?.I own an old Nikon EDIII A,that has seen better times..some of the internal glass coatings are a bit deteriorated(dont know the cause because i bought it used)and now i noticed a bit of play between the prism housing and the tube..Image quality reamins ok,I was wondering if its worth to have it service..then i ocurred to me that the massive prism of the nikon fieldscope ,is one of the best erecting systems ,and if i could take apart the scope ,the whole prism housing could be modified to fit a swaro atx objective module..being the design of the feldscope and the swaro scopes similar in the way the focus operate,the prism housing of the EDIii doesnt have and focussing gear ,just the aperture to link the prism to the tube..i think it would be very easy to fit an adapter like the one you got made to the prism ..it would also be possible to remove the whole eyepiece mount and get rid of the nikon thread,perhaps allowing for astro fit,..
What is the diameter of the swaro bayonet ,and what type of connection you designed for you adapters?..

The details of the adapter is available at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Swarovski_X_derivations
If you are interested I can sell you one of the adapters since I have 5 - will keep 2 and sell 3... Send me a pm.

Joachim,
It's not easy to find a focal reducer that work well for visual use. I found one that is good (the one in some photos of the link above), but if is ok for low mags on my TMB combos, when zooming you notice that the image quality deteriorates i.e. is only good for low power use and I need high mags...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back