• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions please for an easy to use digiscoping camera for my wife. (1 Viewer)

fender

Hello all,

My wife has a Swarovski ATM 65 Scope with the new 25-50 zoom eyepiece and DCB camera adapter and is keen to enter into digiscoping.

She has asked me to try and find the camera best suited to her needs that is around the £100 mark.

She require's a camera that is simple to use and preferably gives good results when used in auto mode and would be shooting in jpeg...as she won't be into a lot of post processing with raw(just the simple auto features of her Picasa software)

She would want one with at least a 3" LCD and i feel that it would inspire her if it also has HD quality video as well.

It would help if i can get several camera options,so that she can then go somewhere to see how they "feel in the hand"(for use in general)...she is very interested too,in insect's etc...so one with a good macro would also be a bonus for her.

I would appreciate any help given.

Regards,

Phil.

Phil
I'm not sure what you will get for 100 pounds as normally we start around 250 pounds.
You could try and find a Nikon Coolpix P310 which has just been replaced by the P330.
Neil.

Phil
I'm not sure what you will get for 100 pounds as normally we start around 250 pounds.
You could try and find a Nikon Coolpix P310 which has just been replaced by the P330.
Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your input. I understand that the Nikon's you mention are good,as i have seen yours and others excellent images taken with them.

There does seem to be many cameras out there though, that are in her price range and have a low enough zoom to suggest they may be able to be used for digiscoping...just thought there may be someone who has tried a few of them and could recommend some.

She would be using mainly auto modes and as i said, is not into using raw and post processing to a large extent...as long as she can get an acceptably decent image she would be happy.

Regards,

Phil.

Last edited:
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your input. I understand that the Nikon's you mention are good,as i have seen yours and others excellent images taken with them.

There does seem to be many cameras out there though, that are in her price range and have a low enough zoom to suggest they may be able to be used for digiscoping...just thought there may be someone who has tried a few of them and could recommend some.

She would be using mainly auto modes and as i said, is not into using raw and post processing to a large extent...as long as she can get an acceptably decent image she would be happy.

Regards,

Phil.

You can also tap into the second hand market and purchase one for your budget on places like ebay. If you find a suitable camera there, a safe option would be to go into your local electronics store and try that model with your scope / eyepiece / adapter etc before you buy to make sure about compatibility, results etc.

Happy hunting.

You can also tap into the second hand market and purchase one for your budget on places like ebay. If you find a suitable camera there, a safe option would be to go into your local electronics store and try that model with your scope / eyepiece / adapter etc before you buy to make sure about compatibility, results etc.

Happy hunting.

Hi,

Thanks for that. Sounds a fair option,but my wife does prefer a new camera.Good idea to try things at the store first.

Regards, Phil.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back