• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltic Gull? Sweden (1 Viewer)

I actually read about Baltic Gulls a few hours before this one and when I saw it I thought definitely not a GBB Gull as the photographer has stated. I would have thought LBBG due to the yellow legs any how but that website which was mentioned in another gull id thread on this forum described a Baltic Gull and this bird appeared to tick all the boxes.

Thanks for the confirmation.

That is surprising considering from what little I know females are smaller?

I've only knowingly seen one adult bird..which was sandwiched between a GBBG and a LBBG, the pp was so long that it had an almost Pheasant persona, apparently this is a feature of female Baltic Gull?

Cheers

it's probably a male, on relative strong bill for a baltic gull.
generally (in large gulls) females are smaller but have the proportionally longer wings than males. but look at the rear end: this bird has long wings like most baltic gulls: distance between tail tip and wingtip is double the distance between tertial tip and tail tip (about same length in herring gulls).

Its not my photo but the photographer wanted me to id it for him. I told him its def not a GBBG and from what I have learnt today looks like a Baltic Gull and I was right, for once!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back