• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 - what binoculars are you using? (1 Viewer)

frootz

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a Nikon ED50 scope in the near future.

What binoculars are people using with this scope? I'm currently using Opticron Veranos and I'm not sure they are a good match optically.

Thanks in advance if you take the time to reply,

Emma

Meostar 8x32, planning to go HD when they are launched. Also the 8x30 E II and sometimes the 10x32 FL. I would say that a Conquest HD 8x32 or a Cabelas Euro HD 8x32 would be a suitable companion to the ED50A. In particular the sleek little Meopta/Euro.
Of course an 8x32 FL would be OK but they don't really have that punchy contrast of the ED50. I'll be very interested in trying the lightweight Kite Lynx ED/Nikon M7 30's too, but have more or less already decided to go with the Meopta HD.

//L

EDIT: Get a Wide MC 20x or a Wide MC or DS 27x. I'm not very fond of the zoom.

Last edited:
Using the ED50 with a DS 27x on sling.
Binocs are Canon 10x42ISLs, on a harness.
The combo is heavy, but works for good identification looks, even for distant birds. It fails for scanning methodically through flocks of gulls or shorebirds, because the hand held scope wobbles too much. The offset is instant scope availability, which is really the point of the ED50 imho.
If Nikon ever produces an image stabilized successor to the ED50, it would transform scope use.

Thanks both of you for the detailed responses it is much appreciated. There are definitely some new ideas for me there.

Using the ED50 with a DS 27x on sling.
Binocs are Canon 10x42ISLs, on a harness.
The combo is heavy, but works for good identification looks, even for distant birds. It fails for scanning methodically through flocks of gulls or shorebirds, because the hand held scope wobbles too much. The offset is instant scope availability, which is really the point of the ED50 imho.
If Nikon ever produces an image stabilized successor to the ED50, it would transform scope use.

That's an idea I promoted some time ago.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=252331
In the lack of it, I find my monopod very functional. When cycling, the ED50A is in my backpack or bag and I mount it on the monopod/ballhead when I want to use it. But I could as well carry the mounted combo diagonally on my back by using a strap that goes between the top and the end of the first section.

I can't help but think, though, that you could as well use an 18x50 IS and skip the scope (maybe use a small and lightweight 7x too).
27x is the bee's knees and a meaningful step up from a 10x binocular.

//L

Monarch 7 8x42 is my binocular and I couldn't be more pleased with the contrast I am receiving at low light along with field of view. Also, the edge to edge sharpness is fantastic and I find myself being able to identify everything in the field. This is of course, all bias put aside. I truly believe this is a winning birding binocular and Nikon's greatest achievement thus far when all things are considered.

Good luck,
Mike
Nikon

Nikon Monarch 7

Monarch 7 8x42 is my binocular and I couldn't be more pleased with the contrast I am receiving at low light along with field of view. Also, the edge to edge sharpness is fantastic and I find myself being able to identify everything in the field. This is of course, all bias put aside. I truly believe this is a winning birding binocular and Nikon's greatest achievement thus far when all things are considered.

Good luck,
Mike
Nikon

How does the 8x30 compare to the 8x42.
Thanks Harold

...I'm looking to buy a Nikon ED50 scope in the near future...What binoculars are people using with this scope? I'm currently using Opticron Veranos and I'm not sure they are a good match optically...

I'm not sure what you mean by a good match optically. I recommend the best 7, 8, or 10 power (according to your preference; I prefer 8x) binocular that you can afford, whether you have a scope or not. I wouldn't carry a 15 or 20x bin along with a scope, but otherwise, I don't think the capability of one relates to the other. If you like your current bins, stick with them.

--AP

I think I am worrying a bit too much re it all!

But Opticrons are often described as 'cold' in colour cast and Nikon 'warmer'. I will try the Veranos with the scope first, but I just wanted some ideas of the binoculars that people think fit well. If that's any clearer!

Thanks for the reply.

I read that the Sightron SII 8x32 has a reddish colour bias. Should be great with the ED50. If it weren't an anticlockwise focuser I'd already have bought it.
And it's cheap too.

//L

Last edited:
The ED50 is a lightweight scope that does not reach a lot of power..20X or 27x are the options for fixed eyepieces or the MC II zoom,with 13x-40x magnification...If you dont wear eyeglasses,the zoom is pretty good optically ,,,The use of ED ,high quality ,glass is the strenght of this scope...the image is very bright,very clean of chromatic aberration and has superb contrast ,also owed to the quality of the Anti reflection coatings,,,pushing the power up to 40X is useful on ocassion ,but the sweet point for the scope,for me is the low power,bright and less shaky of views granted by the 20X or even the 16X...the 27X at times was too dim for me ,and the field of view at close range limits the fast and accurate use unless a pointing device is used(i have a red dot pointer that worked great with the 27X)
the lightweight calls for light support,either hand held,monopod or ultra light tripod (in my view the best solution)but light support is not very stable,thats why I think the 20Xis the best match granting the benefits of excellent field of view(easier to aim) ,brightness and added stability,that pushes resolution in the same way that an IS bin would...so you have a 20X 50mm ED scope..best binocular match...a 7x ED...
a 7 power ED binocular has the same benefits that the scope ..stability in the view ,field of view,exit pupil per mm AND you have a scope the 3x (triples!!!!)the view of your bins, really making the use of a moderate 20X magnification relevant in the field..ED glass would be nice because then you will have that clarity and clean image that would match the ED 50,but since 7x are more forgiving for CA ,any good 7x35/42 would do.The ZEn 7x36 has been praised by all binocular experts as one of the most accomplished ,original and well rounded binos of this last generations..just like the ED50..The other nice 7x that comes to mind is the 7x36 opticron classic..super nice as well,if a bit narrower in the FOV section but lighter and more compact...and with about the same FOV but less aperture,the Bushnell Custom Elite 7x26..also exceptional specially if weight is(and i know It is for You)a concern..I have used these three binoculars(one at a time)with the ED50 side by side in the field andf you can do as serious a birding as any birding serious can be...uh..seriously....

I am also a strong fan of the new Monarch 7, have both the 8x42 and 10x42.

Longer distance on lakes or open fields = ED50 with 27x WA and the 10x42.
Closer range = ED50 with 20x WA and Monarch 7 in 8x42.

Agree with monopod or ultra light tripod for the ED50.

Regards,
FK

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back