• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 10x32 Victory Bins Arrived Today (1 Viewer)

Ostracod

Well, as-new, anyway. They are factory demo units that I picked up for 1/3rd off. I purchased them as an upgrade from my 10x30 Swaro Companions which had too much CA for my eyes. I've only had the Zeiss out for about 30 minutes of viewing but so far can't find fault with them. Just one of those, "yep, this is how the view should look" experiences.

I'm a little torn about the Swaros, however. Outside of the CA they really only suffer in direct comparison. And they look great and the ergos are nice. I logged a lot of hiking miles with them this past summer so it's a little like throwing out a good friend.

Congratulations on your new Zeiss. That sure is a lot of quality in such a nice small size and light weight and is a great hiking choice.

When you have an attachment as strong as that to a pair of binos then keep them unless you really need the cash. Then work out some use for them and use them for this and not the FLs. For example you could use the Swaros every time you want to drive through country with binos around your neck, or for hikes in high hills as opposed to forest or lakeside hikes. Give it a job to do and you will enjoy getting your old friend out for this job.

Lee

Well, as-new, anyway. They are factory demo units that I picked up for 1/3rd off. I purchased them as an upgrade from my 10x30 Swaro Companions which had too much CA for my eyes. I've only had the Zeiss out for about 30 minutes of viewing but so far can't find fault with them. Just one of those, "yep, this is how the view should look" experiences.

I'm a little torn about the Swaros, however. Outside of the CA they really only suffer in direct comparison. And they look great and the ergos are nice. I logged a lot of hiking miles with them this past summer so it's a little like throwing out a good friend.

Just wondering did you also manage to compare those to the Swaros El 10x32's before you chose the Victory? https://www.swarovskioptik.com/travel/el-32-c22011002/el-8x32-green-p5222839

I did not do a direct, head-to-head comparison with the EL as none of the retailers in this area stock the Zeiss. That left me with a "memory" comparison from when I compared the ELs and the Ultravids last summer. It's not ideal, I know, but I clearly remember the ELs still having noticeable CA, especially toward the edge, and maybe a bit more distortion. That said, had the Zeiss option not been available I think I would have been content with ELs too. I still prefer the looks and ergos of the Swaros.

When you have an attachment as strong as that to a pair of binos then keep them unless you really need the cash. Then work out some use for them and use them for this and not the FLs. For example you could use the Swaros every time you want to drive through country with binos around your neck, or for hikes in high hills as opposed to forest or lakeside hikes. Give it a job to do and you will enjoy getting your old friend out for this job.

Lee

Good advice, thanks. Cash is definitely an issue, even with the deal I got on the Victorys. I have some astronomy equipment I want to clear out, so that may bring in enough to keep the Swaros. My wife has smaller hands so the Swaros might make a nice pair for her even though she would rarely, if ever, use them. Makes a good excuse though, haha.

Good advice, thanks. Cash is definitely an issue, even with the deal I got on the Victorys. I have some astronomy equipment I want to clear out, so that may bring in enough to keep the Swaros. My wife has smaller hands so the Swaros might make a nice pair for her even though she would rarely, if ever, use them. Makes a good excuse though, haha.

With a name like Ostracod perhaps I should call you Shrimpy!

Please allow me to get very geeky for a moment. Zeiss Victory isn't the name of a specific model today although it started out that way some years ago, but Zeiss's name for their top series, so different models have 'Victory' as part of their name. I am sure yours are Victory FLs and it is the FL that tells folks which model you have got. Other Victories that are around today are Victory HT (stands for High Transmission) and Victory SF (stands for Smart Focus).

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back