• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

porch bird nest (1 Viewer)

bigcypress

noticed a bird nest on top of porch '' column'' and figured it was an english '' or common'' sparrow but found i was wrong . i am quite certain it is a phoebe . i understand they are common but not to us so i am quite pleased [ yah , i'm easy ] . some may remember that last year i thought we had eiders in back and it was pointed out to me , gently , that they were domestic mallards which was correct . this time i'm right about the phoebe . the domestic mallards are still here although the female has apparently been killed this summer by the other four NASTY , NASTY males who abused her unmercifully . there are now six white ducks and the four mallards are abusing one of them which i assume is a female . a week ago they were after her and one would grab her behind the head , often holding her head under water for quite some time , and they others would try to ''breed'' with her . now when the five other white ducks swim the abused one walks along the shore but will not go in the water . , , , peace

You sure it's a Phoebe and not a Wren or Swallow? Both are notorious for building nests on porches. ;)

Phoebes certainly do nest on houses - I've got a pair under my back porch (about ten feet off the ground) right now, raising its second brood this season. Last year I removed the nest after an infestation of mites killed their second brood, so this year they built a new one about three feet from the previous site.

now have four ,or more , babies and two busy parents . . . thanks , ''deidrahall '' i like to make people laugh , with me or at me doesn't matter . . . peace

Good luck to the youngsters - sounds like you're having fun with this little family bigcypress!

couple days ago two babies were flapping there wings and yesterday evening they were gone . this morning parent was feeding remaining two and now they are gone . i can't believe it can happen that fast . sometimes think it would be nice if it was that quick with humans . . . peace

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back