• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zen Ray ED-4? (1 Viewer)

FrankD

Just saw this snipit from Doug at CLNY over on the campfire site......

We also bought all their remaining inventory of Zen ED-3 8x43 & Zen ED-3 10x43 binoculars. The reason is he informed me that they will have an ED-4 series by Summer. The big improvement is more space in the hinge open space, which makes it more comfortable to rest 3 fingers in that area. Once they arrive I'll do a side by side (if we have any ED-3's left) and let you know if there's an optical improvement.

I wonder when they are coming out this summer and/or if there are any other changes.

Yes, ED4 is coming up soon. There will be some major optical improvements. I will disclose them once the prototype has passed our qualification requirements. Nevertheless, I am very excited for refreshing our ZEN ED binoculars to its 4th generation by incorporating some new features and feedbacks from our loyal customers.

Charles

Yes, ED4 is coming up soon. There will be some major optical improvements. I will disclose them once the prototype has passed our qualification requirements. Nevertheless, I am very excited for refreshing our ZEN ED binoculars to its 4th generation by incorporating some new features and feedbacks from our loyal customers.

Charles

That's good news. Would they be an improvement over Prime HD also. I wish there will be a 7x36 ED4 with same FOV but better edges.

Andy

I wish there will be a 7x36 ED4 with same FOV but better edges.

I'll second that idea. As a fan of Zeiss FL 7x42s, I'd love to have a lighter weight wider fov 7x36. Maybe with more e/r too?

But I say that having never tried the ED2 7x36s, having been put off by the stories of fuzzy edges and slightly short e/r for spec wearers.

I really hope the 7x43 model goes along into the ED4 series. I have a 7x43 ED3 that is nice but could use some refinement. There doesn't seem to be many other 7x42s except for alphas or Trinovid.

I imagine that an ED4 would start to be on an optical level that would make a Trinovid nervous? I don't expect the mechanics to be the same.

....added....that was awkward. What I am trying to ask is if a ED4 would hang with the MeoStar/Conquest/Razor/Trinovid mid level stuff......or is that the job of the Primes?

Last edited:
A couple of things come to mind reading the last few posts.

No the ZEN ED 4 will not have any flat field technology. I think it would be logical to assume the competition for both flat field and ED glass would see to much competition between the ED 4 and the Prime.

It is a pretty safe bet the ED 4 will pack some internal improvements over the ED 3. It is likely there will be improved coatings and perhaps a different coating regimen. What that will do for the view is largely in the eye of the beholder.

There may well be some other mechanical improvements, but I'm not sure how they will approach that. I think it is safe to say they wouldn't offer an improved ED series from 3 to 4 unless they thought it was worth it for both themselves and the consumer.

As to hanging with more expensive glass, they already do for the most part. So I cannot see an ED 4 being less able to continue that.

I don't really think it is that difficult to figure out which direction an ED4 would go in....physically and optically.

From a physical perspective, one "complaint" (or comment if you like) has always been that they are fairly long binoculars. Except for the Zeiss high end models, almost all of the binocular models introduced recemt;u seem to be getting shorter and shorter.

Optically, I think Steve is on the right track. The ED4s probably won't have a flat field design as it would compete with the Primes too much. So then the next question to ask is what other optical performance areas could be improved upon with respect to the ED3 design? Seems fairly straightforward when you consider the direction that all of the alpha binoculars have gone in the 3 or 4 years since the ED3s were introduced.

Oh, and I heard the Primes are getting redesigned eyecups soon. ;)

P.S. Please do count another vote for the 7x format in the ED4s. It would be the one I would buy if given the choice.

From a physical perspective, one "complaint" (or comment if you like) has always been that they are fairly long binoculars. .................

The primary concern I seem to see repeated from a physical perspective is the eye cups are just a little bit on the short side in relation to the eye relief, thus requiring the use of the MOLCET technique of holding the binocular higher toward the eye brow. This is also an issue for some of the other binocular brands, not just Zen-Ray.

Hopefully Charles will consider extending the eye cups a bit (in relation to the eye relief) and then add an indent for those may want it slightly shorter. That is a heck of a lot better solution than the owner using the MOLCET technique or adding a kludge of rubber washers, bike tire tubes, etc, in an attempt to extend the eye cups.

Last edited:
Charles-

Any updates on these?

David, we are getting really close to finish the pilot run. From the past experience, we decided to hold off the product release information until the new product has passed all of our specification and requirements. I cannot wait to take some to the field in the next few weeks. Actually, I may want to offer a couple of pairs for BF members to try out before general release. ;) Anybody?

David, we are getting really close to finish the pilot run. From the past experience, we decided to hold off the product release information until the new product has passed all of our specification and requirements. I cannot wait to take some to the field in the next few weeks. Actually, I may want to offer a couple of pairs for BF members to try out before general release. ;) Anybody?

Right here!

I'd be more than happy to do it. And to write a very thorough report too!!!

Thanks. We are planning to put out 2 pairs of 8x43 and 2 pairs of 10x43 out for testing. Each pair can have up to two users to rotate through. Sorry, we can do this for US users only because of the logistics complexity of sending binos oversea.

Charles

Thanks. We are planning to put out 2 pairs of 8x43 and 2 pairs of 10x43 out for testing. Each pair can have up to two users to rotate through. Sorry, we can do this for US users only because of the logistics complexity of sending binos oversea.

Charles

I'd love to test and report on the 10x43 model.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back