• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gimbal / Sidekick mounts on ebay (1 Viewer)

Lisa / Steve thanks that was exactly my point and I'm pleased at last people realised the message I was trying to get across, thanks for the sound of reason in your responses. I have put a annual reminder in my diary so each anniversary I will be able to offer an update and I am big enough to post a failure report if it ever does.

Help !!!!!

I have just taken the plunge and ordered a Nikon 300mm lens weighing 2.8 kg,
3.6kg with the D200 attached.
I only just bought a Manfrotto 055PRO and a 222 ball head to go with my other lens. It's a brilliant combination and I am disappointed that the maximum weight it is recommended it takes is 2.5kg.
I need another tripod head. Having spent a small fortune the budget is limited but I would like something as flexible as the 222, and something I can use to carry the camera/ lens combination around whilst in situ on the tripod... i.e. over my shoulder.
Suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks in anticipation
Dave

Posted this in the wrong place, I'll try again !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Try the manfrotto 393. It's a rock solid support, the lens plate locks securely and it won't break the bank. All in all a great head without the cost of a wimberly

Try the manfrotto 393. It's a rock solid support, the lens plate locks securely and it won't break the bank. All in all a great head without the cost of a wimberly

I was at Focus-on-Imaging yesterday, and whilst pleasantly surprised to find the #393 head on display on the Manfrotto stand, I noted that it (possibly it alone) was without a label indicating type number etc. I spoke to a salesman and asked why Manfrotto seemed to be hiding this particular item from the market in that their catalogue didn't mention the magic word "gimbal" and that it was also shown in an upside down aspect when illustrated. (When I lift my head from viewing through my camera, I want to see over the lens and not <through> the gimbal head support.) It seems as though sales and marketing policy is decided by HO in Italy.

I pointed out that it was this forum which was responsible for my satisfactory purchase of the #393.

I liked the feel of their geared heads, but they're hardly any use for live bird photography. What is amazing is their extremely wide range of heads and support systems.

Thanks for that Malcolm. Someone else mentioned that model as an alternative so I searched Warehouse Express only to draw blank.
Morris Photography have an illustration, and at £105 plus free delivery it is certainly an economic alternative.
From the picture though, it doesn't look very flexible. I would like to see one in action.
I have also found the web site for Jobu, and they too are considerably less than Wimberley.
I agree with all the arguments about "spoiling the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar" but the Wimberley costs mega bucks, not a ha'p'orth. Having worked for a very large corporation I am more than aware of the power of the brands and advertising. You have to be the best, the cheapest or unique to be a brand leader.Wimberley ,it seems, are clearly the best.
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~5708~categoryid~158.html

Anybody else got an opinion on the 393 ?

Thanks for that Malcolm. Someone else mentioned that model as an alternative so I searched Warehouse Express only to draw blank.

Anybody else got an opinion on the 393 ?

On the Warehouse Express site, it's hidden away in the Manfrotto accessories section, described as 'Long Lens Monopod Bracket'.

Well worth buying IMO.

cheers
martin

I'll give another vote to the 393 if the budget doesn't stretch to a wimberley.
Use mine with a Canon 500 f4 and before that the Sigma 500mm f4.5 and I really like it. I admit that if some spare cash comes my way I'll get a wimberley but until then its fine.

Morris Photography have an illustration, and at £105 plus free delivery it is certainly an economic alternative.
From the picture though, it doesn't look very flexible. I would like to see one in action.
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~5708~categoryid~158.html

As you'd expect the illustration on the Morris photo website is that supplied by Manfrotto (and as far as I'm concerned shows the unit in use upside down.).

What it doesn't show is that there are 3 holes on approx. 35mm centres in the vertical supports allowing different vertical mounting positions to suit different lens/camera combinations. I use the default (top) position for my large diameter EF 300 f2.8L, but a smaller diameter lens might balance better on a different hole. The horizontal axes have several washers, and are easily adjustable for play. The vertical axis is also adjustable, but (from memory) I think this needs an allen key, and hasn't needed adjustment so far.
The lens plate comes with both 3/8" and 1/4" screws, and has a spring-loaded safety catch as well as the clamp which locks the plate when balance has been achieved.

Where gimbal mounted lens/camera combinations fail is when used inside a hide with a relatively small vertical window height. They're fine for tracking wildfowl on the water's surface, but not so good when trying to snap the high flying hawk which has just disturbed the flock of lapwings or whatever.

Any one seen, bought, heard about the Indian company selling mounts and plates at a fraction of the cost of the real macoy?
Had an email exchange with them and I could but a sidekick for my 500sigma and a PT-50 plate for £80.00 inc shipping.
Okay I'm not that naive but its might be worth a chance, gotta be better than my trusty old benbo ball head

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130174756306&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

Comments anyone?

Followed this thread with interest. I've got the Manfrotto 393 and its a cumbersome beast - always banging me on the hips or shins depending how I sling it. I never carry my camera any distance on it as I'd rather carry it separately.

I invested in one of the Indian copies and was disappointed in the lack of a fail safe mounting plate. A bit of re-engineering involving drilling and tapping and I've now mounted the Manfrotto fail safe quick relase plate on to the gimbal head. Now I've got a head that doesn't bruise me everytime I carry the tripod slung over my shoulder. The rest of the quality is OK apart from the fact that the various turn-screws could easily get lost so I'm loking at ways of ensuring they can't!

Phil, sorry but please explain what a fail safe head is? I was trying to picture it but failed miserably
thanks

The Manfrotto #393 head comes with a lens plate which slides into a channel on the gimbal head support "U" piece. After balancing, its position in the channel is locked in place by tightening a screw. To prevent this plate from inadvertently sliding out of its socket when you're changing lenses, rebalancing (after adding an extender) or whatever (with your ££££/$$$$$ lens on it) there's a spring loaded pin which has to be pressed to allow this. It's a very reassuring feature, and moving it across to a different style gimbal head seems a good idea, if you've got the skills.

ahh okay, thanks, I do know a good machinist I may ask him if he can do something similay

what did you drill, looking at the mount to make it extremely secure after balancing and clamping are you just ensuring if the clamp became loose that the plate wouldn't slip, if so where did you drill? Or again have I missed something?
Cheers

Steve,

Seem to remember you buying the 500mm, you are using Nikon's short foot on the lens with this set-up? You could use "G" clamp device to secure the plate, if drilling is causing a problem. But I wouldn't walk about with the lens in place, unless you attach the lens strap, putting it through an arm and around your neck and shoulder. It's a bit of a clutter to cope with, but at least the lens is linked to your body.

Hi
bought a Sigma 500 with a long foot and a matching arca style plate which is around 4-5 inches long. What I have done is make up a stainless steel tether that attaches around the lens foot and is fixed to the nice ring on the top of the tripod body where the carrying strap should go so in the event of a slip, break or failure of some part the body and lens falls but is restrained to the length of the tether, its very neat, relatively inconspicuous and doesn't get in the way of normal use, I used the kind of line that fishermen use for Pike / Tope / Small Shark fishing.

Lisa / Steve thanks that was exactly my point and I'm pleased at last people realised the message I was trying to get across, thanks for the sound of reason in your responses. I have put a annual reminder in my diary so each anniversary I will be able to offer an update and I am big enough to post a failure report if it ever does.

Yeah, there are always the brand snobs seeking to do everyone a 'service' with their advice ;-) I'm sure well intentioned but when anyone proclaims without direct experience I switch off.

For example, I bought a shoulder bag from Gap a couple of years ago and still use it most trips with my gear on walkaround. It has good pockets, no one notices it and carries loads of stuff safely and comfortably. Cost me around £8 in the sale. I did a review on another site and had some interesting comments: one guy even seemed to get pretty angry I should use such a thing and promised me it would never last while his Domke, or some other 'snob brand' he had, would always be usable and hold value :king: Well I just throw mine in the washing machine now and again and all is good. been to Africa a few times, Spain a few times, all 'round London and Birmingham loads of times, etc. Never a problem.

As to the India clone gimbals well I have what they call the Sidekick but it is more akin to the Kirk King Cobra. Works very well. This is all pretty simple stuff. It's about fit for purpose and using gear sensibly within specification. If folks think they are getting anything other than token reassurance and snob value from their 'branded' item them are fooling themselves. Mine carries a 400mm with TCon and 1D mk II N set up and never a problem. I did a review of it too and one guy insisted it could never balance even when I told him it did. Crazy what psychological investments people make in gear. Even when you prove them wrong they are still right ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back