Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Maine (Central Coastal)

Old Thursday 29th January 2004, 17:43   #1
streatham

Maine (Central Coastal)

Calling all Maine Members:

I am visiting Maine for the 1st time this weekend to do some birding and was looking for some advice. What I am looking for is some suggestions from members as to places local to Bath that would be worth visiing. My aim for the trip is to try and see whatever winter finches, sea ducks, interesting gulls and alcids that are possible (basically all the things that are impossible to find in Southern CT at the moment).

Here is a list of the things I'd most like to find:Red-throated Loon, Northern Fulmar, King Eider, Surf Scoter, WW Scoter, Barrow's Goldeneye, Bald Eagle, Northern Goshawk, Rough-Legged Hawk, Ruffed Grouse, BH Gull, LBB Gull, Glaucous Gull, BL Kittiwake, Dovekie, Razorbill, Murre, B Guillemot, Snowy Owl?, N Hawk Owl, BB Woodpecker, Northern Shrike, Common Raven, B Waxwing, Redpoll, WW Crossbill? R Crossbill? E Grosbeak *
P Grosbeak.

I've done some internet reserch but any further advice on finding any of these species would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In advance - Luke.
Old Thursday 29th January 2004, 23:52   #2
streatham

PS If anyone knows anything about Pelagic Trips in the area that would be useful.
Old Thursday 3rd April 2008, 03:41   #3
Larry Lade
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

Luke, I realize it has been a few years since you posted this, but my wife and I are taking a trip to Maine, May 13 to May 21. I also realize that this is probably a little early for the Atlantic Puffins, but I was wondering how your trip went. Since we are going in the spring of the year the birds to be found will be somewhat different than what you saw. But, I thought perhaps you could give me a few pointers about some good birding places in the downeast region of the state. We will be flying into Portland. Did you bird any in that area? After a day or two around Portland, we will be going to Bar Harbor on Desert Island/Acadia NP.

I have bookmarked the URL "Maine Birding Trail" (Portland) given on another thread in the Maine Forum. I think that will be helpful as well.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: