• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

quick and easy adapter for Nikon P300 x Kowa 20x-60x combo? (1 Viewer)

wimvdam

Hi there,

For ID and documentation purposes I want to start digiscoping with my Kowa 883 scope and its 20-60x eyepiece. After doing my homework I concluded that camera-wise the Nikon P300 would be a safe bet; what remains is the decision how to connect it to the eyepiece.

I expect that the typical situation will be that while doing some regular birding with my scope, I want to be able to quickly connect the P300 to the scope, take some ID photos, after which I disconnect the camera again. I'd think that a swing-out system would interfere too much with my regular use of the scope and that it would be awkward when carrying the scope+tripod over my shoulder. With that in mind, I'm currently looking at the following solutions:

- Kowa TSN-DA10 adapter + Nikon FSB-8 bracket (although some say that this is not really stable)
- Kowa TSN-DA10 adapter + Vortex PS-100 attachment (is this really quick in the field?)
- Scope)Cam adapter of tinesup.com

What are people's opinions of these different options? Do they do the job, or should I consider another camera (like the P5100/P6000) with a threaded lens instead for my requirements?

Thanks,
- Wim

Solvang, CA, USA

Similar query. P300 with TSN3 & 30x wide

I'm thinking of the P300 or Canon S95. Can the Nikon FSB-8 be used with my old scope/eyepiece? That would go some way to helping me make the decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back