• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raven or crow, eastern Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

Motmot said:
It´s a Brown-necked Raven (Corvus ruficollis). Nice picture!
Thanks, that was my initial thought but I'd been told they were extinct in this area. They've obviously made a comeback.

Larry, Brown necked Raven are smaller than common raven and with less massive bill, showing a bronze sheen to the nape.

Hi all,
I have no literature with me, and have only seen a handful of Brown-necked Ravens, but I find it difficult solely on the available pic to completely exclude House Crow: know that these can be found around Eilat, but are there any in Saudi Arabia? Somehow looks less 'raven-like' about the head from what I recall for Brown-necked Raven, but it's hard to be sure either way.
Regards,
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi all,
I have no literature with me, and have only seen a handful of Brown-necked Ravens, but I find it difficult solely on the available pic to completely exclude House Crow: know that these can be found around Eilat, but are there any in Saudi Arabia? Somehow looks less 'raven-like' about the head from what I recall for Brown-necked Raven, but it's hard to be sure either way.
Regards,
Harry
Hello Harry,

I once sent a similar picture to a birder in Bahrain. He identified it as an Indian house crow and I do know they have been introduced there. As it's only about 20 kilometers, pardon the expression, as the crow flies, I see no reason why they should not frequent the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia. It seems we have a bit of an enigma on our hands.

My initial thoughts were brown-necked raven, but on second look i think its a house crow. The outer wing is perhaps too broad and rounded for a b-n raven, with this species having quite a long and pointed wing. Tricky from one picture, but i'd say a dark house crow.

I'm for house crow too - B-N ravens although smaller than Common Raven still look raven shaped/proportioned. Primaries look too rounded and not 'fingered' enough to be raven sp. Also on my monitor the nape, neck etc look dark grey contrasting with the blacker crown and face - typical of house crow.

Cheers,
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back