• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

corrupted images? (1 Viewer)

graham catley

in the last couple of weeks I have had 3 images from a long series on the 30D with 300f4 or 300f4 and 1.4 which have had a rectangular block of a single or a mix of colours in the bottom right hand corner of the RAW image, th eremainde rof the image being normal---this colour block is still present after conversion to JPeg and looks like a corruption of the file--I am not sure if it is the same CF card every time as I have not taken note of which one I was using at the time but today it was an i-pro 2GB--all of the other images on the card were fine---anyone had this happen or know what is the problem?

example attached

Attachments

• IMG_2244-01.jpg
    IMG_2244-01.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
graham catley said:
in the last couple of weeks I have had 3 images from a long series on the 30D with 300f4 or 300f4 and 1.4 which have had a rectangular block of a single or a mix of colours in the bottom right hand corner of the RAW image, th eremainde rof the image being normal---this colour block is still present after conversion to JPeg and looks like a corruption of the file--I am not sure if it is the same CF card every time as I have not taken note of which one I was using at the time but today it was an i-pro 2GB--all of the other images on the card were fine---anyone had this happen or know what is the problem?

example attached

Weird, it has never happened to me ... I'll add my tuppence stream of (un)consciousness:
easiest thing to do is to change CF card to check if the problem persists; then, format your 'corrupted' card;
lastly, if the problem is still there with the same card - if you have time to spend - check which number in the sequence is the corrupted file and if it's still the same there may be some clusters damaged: > format the card
Have you tried shooting both RAW and JPG?
Keep us updated, cheers,
Max

Last edited:
I had that sort of corruption once on an early outing with a new camera but never had it again. I guess I must have reformatted the card and it went away.

The regular shape and banding on this looks as if it could be a sensor fault in the 'write to card' stage of image transfer, does it also happen when shooting Jpegs? if so it looks like you may need to get the camera back to Canon.

graham catley said:

example attached
As Nigel suggets it could be a camera fault, my guess is that it's the card.

Do a full error check with a PC, then a low-level format with a PC (i.e. not a quick format).

The PC error check may throw up a bad block.

If it's happening on more than one card then I would say it's the camera.

thanks to all for replies---the odd single images were always in the middle of a long sequence with all images either side of the single odd one being fine so at the minute at least it is nothing consistent---I will try reformatting the CF cards and see if it happens again---unfortunately I deleted the original RAW image after taking off the JPeg attached above so I cannot run a check on it---I have not shot any JPegs with the camera in recent months so I do not know if it occurs with JPegs as well

graham catley said:
thanks to all for replies---the odd single images were always in the middle of a long sequence with all images either side of the single odd one being fine so at the minute at least it is nothing consistent---I will try reformatting the CF cards and see if it happens again---unfortunately I deleted the original RAW image after taking off the JPeg attached above so I cannot run a check on it---I have not shot any JPegs with the camera in recent months so I do not know if it occurs with JPegs as well

Graham,

It would be intersting to know what CF card you were using at the time. If you are using Sandisk Extreme III or Lexar Professional then these cards come with rescue software so that you can retrieve images deleted from your cards even after multiple re-formats. I have also run this software with other make of CF cards and retrieved images from them.

Chris Galvin Photo

graham catley said:

example attached

I have had this happen too. Same circumstances - middle of a burst, images either side ok, and using an i-Pro 2Gb card.....

Gary

Chris Galvin said:
Graham,

It would be intersting to know what CF card you were using at the time. If you are using Sandisk Extreme III or Lexar Professional then these cards come with rescue software so that you can retrieve images deleted from your cards even after multiple re-formats. I have also run this software with other make of CF cards and retrieved images from them.

Chris Galvin Photo

Chris
the images which have corrupted have fortunately been either duplicates or something not worth keeping so I have not lost anything as yet!---looks like the images might all have been on i-Pro 2GB cards though

graham catley said:
Chris
the images which have corrupted have fortunately been either duplicates or something not worth keeping so I have not lost anything as yet!---looks like the images might all have been on i-Pro 2GB cards though
Just an idea - check that you don't have a bent pin inside the camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back