• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa YF same as Leupold Yosemite? (1 Viewer)

stereotruckdriver

Been awhile since I have had much to do with optics! Although I was down and out for quite a bit still tried to keep up with reading the forum! I have pretty much had to sell most of my optics just keeping a few! Anyways about a week ago I went into a little sporting goods store to get a couple of things. The guy behind the counter knowing me asked if I would check out some new binoculars he had picked up and let him know what I thought of them!!! :) First thing that popped into my mind Yosemite's and to top it off 6x30's! Now before even looking through them I was ready to start telling him about the binocular having owned a 8x30 Leupold in the past! But, figured I would humble myself and have a look before passing any kind of judgment! Hum, was my first reaction pulled them down twisted the eyecups back and forth very firm and possitive dedents, 20mm of eyerelief! Next focused them huh??? Nice and smooth no catching no backlash??? Next view, seems sharp good color!!! I was expecting these to be identical, I mean cheap porro made in China they should be the same right? Ok,I left the shop with a new in box 8x30 Kowa YF! Now a week has past and I have had a chance to evaluate them! The nit picks! Can't use a standard size neck strap no biggy the one that is provided is plenty they only way 16.7 oz or 475g! Objective covers are pretty useless I had a pair of Swarovski 8x30, 8x32 covers that fit perfect, these are the older ones that plug in the objective instead of around the barrel. Now sitting on my deck with the sun high and reflecting from the side off the widows did cause some reflection. Other wise they have good blackening inside with good muticoatings and glare was not a factor! Some softening and pinchusion on the edges that does not detract from the overall view. The view this is interesting because I thought the Yosemite was always a touch warm not bad but, it was there. The Kowa on the other hand is bright and a little cooler in contrast. Colors seem very natural with no byass one way or the other but, cooler then what I remember the Leupold being. Fov is average 393ft and eyerelief is rated at 16mm. Very user friendly with four possitive detents that are solid and stay put. I don't have the finicky problems generally associated with the smaller exit pupil and eyerelief that I had on the Yosemite? I don't remember what the eyerelief was on the Leupold? Build quality, they feel solid. Looking inside they are clean a little rough machining here and there but, they are cheap! Do I think they are as durable as my Swarovski's or Leupold, no! But, with reasonable care don't think it would be a problem, Kowa warrants them for lifetime??? Focus and diopter, diopter is friction ring with white + & -, focus!!! This is where Kowa got it right in this design!!! Very smooth no backlash, sticking, rough spot's. Resistence is a little tight not bad one finger focuses just fine! Focus wheel??? Don't quite understand it!? It's smooth metal on the inside with a rubber cover over it, it has oblong oval cut out's on it, I personaly don't like it but, maybe it's designed so children with smaller fingers can get a better grasp! Beings that this particular design is for kid's also! So, I think Kowa has changed the things that were the Yosemite's achille's heal's, they look the same but, perform differently. That's all for now will post some pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
When Leopold changed factories changed factories to produce the Yosemite BX-1, Kowa and Opticron took over the production. I tried them both at a Bird fair back last summer but not side by side. Both appeared to have the same view characteristics as the old model, but the Kowa has the couple of changes you mention. Couldn't test them side by side, and it may have just been a difference in the light conditions at the time but the Kowa appeared to have a little more contrast. Wondered if they had specified different coatings, but really couldn't be sure. Both were a delight to use.

Obviously those coloured cut-outs on the focus are supposed to appeal to a younger user. The sales guy coloured them in with a Sharpie which improved the look considerably IMO. ;)

http://kowasporting.com/binoculars/yf-series
http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/savanna_wp.html

David

Bryce,

You definitely did a nice job of getting me interested. I am going to have to find one to put my eyes up to.

;)

Been awhile since I have had much to do with optics! Although I was down and out for quite a bit still tried to keep up with reading the forum! I have pretty much had to sell most of my optics just keeping a few! Anyways about a week ago I went into a little sporting goods store to get a couple of things. The guy behind the counter knowing me asked if I would check out some new binoculars he had picked up and let him know what I thought of them!!! :) First thing that popped into my mind Yosemite's and to top it off 6x30's! Now before even looking through them I was ready to start telling him about the binocular having owned a 8x30 Leupold in the past! But, figured I would humble myself and have a look before passing any kind of judgment! Hum, was my first reaction pulled them down twisted the eyecups back and forth very firm and possitive dedents, 20mm of eyerelief! Next focused them huh??? Nice and smooth no catching no backlash??? Next view, seems sharp good color!!! I was expecting these to be identical, I mean cheap porro made in China they should be the same right? Ok,I left the shop with a new in box 8x30 Kowa YF! Now a week has past and I have had a chance to evaluate them! The nit picks! Can't use a standard size neck strap no biggy the one that is provided is plenty they only way 16.7 oz or 475g! Objective covers are pretty useless I had a pair of Swarovski 8x30, 8x32 covers that fit perfect, these are the older ones that plug in the objective instead of around the barrel. Now sitting on my deck with the sun high and reflecting from the side off the widows did cause some reflection. Other wise they have good blackening inside with good muticoatings and glare was not a factor! Some softening and pinchusion on the edges that does not detract from the overall view. The view this is interesting because I thought the Yosemite was always a touch warm not bad but, it was there. The Kowa on the other hand is bright and a little cooler in contrast. Colors seem very natural with no byass one way or the other but, cooler then what I remember the Leupold being. Fov is average 393ft and eyerelief is rated at 16mm. Very user friendly with four possitive detents that are solid and stay put. I don't have the finicky problems generally associated with the smaller exit pupil and eyerelief that I had on the Yosemite? I don't remember what the eyerelief was on the Leupold? Build quality, they feel solid. Looking inside they are clean a little rough machining here and there but, they are cheap! Do I think they are as durable as my Swarovski's or Leupold, no! But, with reasonable care don't think it would be a problem, Kowa warrants them for lifetime??? Focus and diopter, diopter is friction ring with white + & -, focus!!! This is where Kowa got it right in this design!!! Very smooth no backlash, sticking, rough spot's. Resistence is a little tight not bad one finger focuses just fine! Focus wheel??? Don't quite understand it!? It's smooth metal on the inside with a rubber cover over it, it has oblong oval cut out's on it, I personaly don't like it but, maybe it's designed so children with smaller fingers can get a better grasp! Beings that this particular design is for kid's also! So, I think Kowa has changed the things that were the Yosemite's achille's heal's, they look the same but, perform differently. That's all for now will post some pictures tomorrow.
One thing about focus I forgot to mention. It takes less than a full turn of the wheel from near to infinite. This may seem fast but, with the right amount of resistence sharp focus is acheived easily without going back and forth!

Obviously those coloured cut-outs on the focus are supposed to appeal to a younger user. The sales guy coloured them in with a Sharpie which improved the look considerably IMO.

Funny but, thats what I did as well! :)

What we've been told is that when Leupold changed factories in China and brought out the BX-1 about a year ago, Kowa and Opticron adopted the line. The Opticron looks little different from the original, but Kowa made some changes.

David

Hi
They should normally be made in China, at the famous United-optics factory, where all the good chinabins are made as well (Zen, Hawke, etc see BW15 & BW16)
If i'm not wrong the Kowa is the Bw11 models
http://www.united-optics.com/produc...tdoor_Binoculars/BW11_Series/BW11_Series.html
Or this one http://www.united-optics.com/produc...tdoor_Binoculars/BW12_Series/BW12_Series.html

The less luxurious Bw18 is also sold under a famous brand, don't rememebr which one.
http://www.united-optics.com/produc...tdoor_Binoculars/BW18_Series/BW18_Series.html
Hope it helped you.

William optics, celestron, etc.. etc... are all made here aswell.

Last edited:
Giorgio,

That United Optics 11 appears to be sold by Barska, Olivon and Hawke amongst others. It is quite different from the superior Kowa, Leupold, Opticon family IMO.

David

Giorgio,

When you remember which brand sells the BW18 then let me know. I would love to try that 8x32 internal focus porro.

Typo, perhaps the Kowa isnt part of this chinese factory, even i doubt it.
The Kowa Yf and the Leupold BX1 have exactly the same body which is a bit reworked for each brand.
This doesn't means the optics are the same.
The Leupold is clearly the BW11, so i don't see why Kowa wouldnt produce here aswell.

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Binoc...004I8X22S?&linkCode=wsw&tag=binoculars_usa-20

This factory makes the best optics of China as far as i know. Their pictures and models have not been refreshed for a long time aswel.

@Frank: i don't remember yet which one of the brands used to make exactly this porro. I remember that Vixen had a super wide angle porro with an inner focus porro, it could be Vixen Ascot, not sure. Just seen Opticron and Bynolyt got porros with this system.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back