• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Portsmouth area (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Sorry I have left this very late to Post. Tomorrow 9th May we are crossing Portsmouth to Le Havre. Can anyone recommend a birding location in the Portsmouth area. We use this crossing often so any information will be useful for our next trip.

Mike.

Another vote for Farlington.... The Opus article for the reserve may whet your appetite. When I visited Sussex regularly, it was always on my list of places to visit.

As Joost says, Hayling Island is good too, especially round the oyster beds (if they're still there). They're in the same bit of the bay. There's a car park there, and you can walk in to the marsh along a footpath that links the two areas.

There's a map link on the page.

If you've only time for one, then got to Farlington Mike.

Depending on what time you year you tend to make these journeys, Southsea seafront could be worth a wander for Purple Sandpipers etc - they tend to be around Southsea Castle.

Thanks everybody for the information in the end we went to Hayling Island only because we had a lot of valuable equipment in the car and I didn't want to leave it unattended, perhaps its me being ultra cautious. I picked up 25 species including 2 year first, not bad especially as it was cold and windy.. We will visit Farlington on our next journey to France in July.,

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back