• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

User report, Kowa Genesis 8x33 (1 Viewer)

John Russell

I recently purchased a Kowa Genesis (Prominar XD) 8x33. My desire was for premium performance, but as a no. 3 binocular in addition to a 7x42 and 10x42 I could not really justify the higher costs of the Europran premium competitors.

The intended use was for travel, when also carrying scope and tripod, and as an alternative for my wife, whose own 900 g 7x42 is sometimes something of a burden. Unfortunately, the Kowa now seems to have been requisitioned by her and I must confess to my surprise at the enormous difference in carrying comfort of a 600 g binocular and one weighing 900-1000 g.

Neither of my two local Kowa dealers had the 8x33 in stock and so one of them arranged for me to collect it at Kowa Optimed in Düsseldorf, where I had the opportunity of selecting one (no significant differences noted however). I was not unfamiliar with the model, having seen the prototypes at Photokina (2008, I think), at subsequent Photokinas and various bird festivals.

The binocular comes with a limited 10 year warranty, 5 years parts and labour and just parts thereafter. A neat little cordura case is supplied but this is of limited use as it lacks a carrying strap or belt loop. The importer has promised to take this up with Kowa. The binocular strap is light and comfortable, if a little overdimensioned for such a light instrument and there is a serviceable rain guard and tetherable rubber objective covers. The latter seem to have a light tendency to mark clothing. Weaknesses in the accessories as with so many bins, but I have now almost exhausted my criticisms.

The Kowa has subdued gray-green rubber armouring with large elliptical but shallow depressions on the underside, which contribute to a secure grip. The rubber eyecups have 4 click stops and the plastic diopter ring on the right barrel has to be pulled out before it can be adjusted. Operation is smooth and the diopter setting is locked once the ring is retracted. There is a 1/4" x 20 thread under a cap at the front of central hinge for a tripod adapter and adjustment of the inter-pupillary distance (54-74 mm) is smooth but offers sufficient resistance to avoid accidental shifting. The central focussing wheel is anodized aluminium with a fine milled structure and is very fast, taking only 120° from 5 m to infinity. Minimum focus is 1,5 m. The operation on my sample is the best and smoothest I have experienced on any bin. Due also to the outstanding central sharpness, optimum focus is achieved instantly without any backwards and forwards searching.

My eyesight is no longer good enough to give a reliable assessment of the bin's capabilities, so I set it up on a tripod and aligned a 6x18 Zeiss monocular on a second tripod behind the oculars. The image was of course very dim (< 0,7 mm exit pupil!) but sharpness was well maintained considering the 48x magnification with mere 33 mm objectives. Other tests (the "Vögel" test, Holger Merlitz) have highlighted the outstanding quality of the Kowa Genesis binoculars as being their suppression of chromatic aberration, better than all competitors, and the overriding impression is of a supperbly clean and crisp central image, no doubt due to the use of two XD elements per objective. There is a moderate fall-off of sharpness at the field edges due to astigmatism. I would not attempt to quantify this in percentage terms as is done in the Albinos tests, as loss of sharpness, whether due to astigmatism or field curvature, is progressive. No ghosting or stray light was noticed and there was barely discernable pincussion distortion. I could not perceive any "rolling ball" but as a SV user, I have become desensitized.

Again on a tripod I measured the AFOV at 62° by viewing a distant building corner through the objective lens. This value in combination with the 22 mm eye lenses and 4,1 mm exit pupils would give a theoretical eye relief of 14,9 mm and Kowa indeed quote 15 mm. It is not enough for me to be able to view the whole field with my glasses with a positive correction (far-sighted) but might enable those with negative correction (near-sighted) to do so. A paper test revealed, as far as I could discern, a neutral colour balance.

The Kowa Genesis binoculars will probably not achieve great market penetration in Europe or North America. They are significantly cheaper than the premium European bins with which they compete, but do not carry their prestige. On the other hand, the 8x33 Genesis with a list price of around €1000 is more expensive than Zeiss' or Swarovski's second tier. I am however very satisfied with my purchase and would heartily recommend their consideration.

John

John,
That is a really nice review. I have wondered a lot about these Kowas. They certainly are hard to find in the US.

I hope your wife enjoys "yours", it sounds great.
Ron

Thanks, Ron.

There were a couple of things I forgot to mention.
The focusser operates clockwise to infinity and the focussing elements are negative (they shift towards the objectives when approaching infinity focus).

The white "Prominar" lettering on the surrounds of the focussing elements has often been criticized in other reviews and it's probably not a good idea. However, if 1% of incoming light were reflected by this then less than 0.2% of that would find its way back to the eyepieces, i.e. <0,002% stray light. I don't think that is a big issue.

John

Last edited:
John,

Thank you very much for this nice review. Of course, buying new has its cache, however, at a thousand Euro price tag, one would wonder if a used prime alpha was as option? Some of the 8x32s from the alphas are indeed superb in terms of function and form. But again, buying new is nice. Enjoy in good health.

John,

Thank you very much for this nice review. Of course, buying new has its cache, however, at a thousand Euro price tag, one would wonder if a used prime alpha was as option? Some of the 8x32s from the alphas are indeed superb in terms of function and form. But again, buying new is nice. Enjoy in good health.

Yes, great review. It does seem odd that Kowa is widely distributed in the USA as far as spotting scopes go, and I see them at many sporting goods stores, but I've never seen their binoculars here at all. The forums geared to target shooting rate their spotting scopes equal to or superior to alphas, and their price is right up there with them as well.

Always wondered about their binocs, so thanks for the insight.

John F
LV NV

John, thank you for the review.
Today I got the mail that mine will be shipped tomorrow, so maybe next monday I can have a look through it. Cant wait!

I have just been cleaning my 8x33 Genesis and it seems that eye lenses and objectives have hydrophobic coatings similar to LotuTec, AquaDura or Easy to Clean.

Strange that Kowa make no mention of this in their advertising.

John

With the Kowa I found the lack of CA and the amounts of micro contrast thorougly enjoyable.
Watching objects like power lines and tower cranes in a distance of ca. 40Km in hazy conditions, the Kowa rendered more details than my Nikon EII 8x30.

Hi Oetzi, With your comparison of the Kowa 8x33 Genesis to the Nikon 8x30EII and John's very fine review of the same binocular I wish I would of been able to have more time when I was at the LCSS to look through and compare that model. At one time this shop had the Kowa Highlander 32x82 Prominar, it was shipped to them by mistake, they sale the non prominar to locals, wanted $3700 for it. It sold. I did have a chance to look through the non fluorite model and liked it.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1753256&postcount=29

Last edited:
I really like it. The slightly warmer image of the Nikon makes the colours a bit more vivid (which is my preference in photography), but lack of CA and lots of micro contrast are the outstanding features of the Kowa. And it fits my eyes perfectly.
With luck, I will receive the Swarovski EL 8x32 Swarovision before I have to return the Kowa. Bein able to compare them side by side would be a boon.

Last time i was at the local bino shop i looked at the Genesis 8x33.
I was looking with the genesis at a well illuminated wall with shelves on, at a distance of approximately 8-9 m away. When looking at a specific point on the wall and moving the bin to the right there was a drop in focus say at 60% distance from the image center, and then the focus came back when moving further to the edge of the image. Maybe a lemon....anyone else who can do this test in a similar way ?

Anders

Last time i was at the local bino shop i looked at the Genesis 8x33.
I was looking with the genesis at a well illuminated wall with shelves on, at a distance of approximately 8-9 m away. When looking at a specific point on the wall and moving the bin to the right there was a drop in focus say at 60% distance from the image center, and then the focus came back when moving further to the edge of the image. Maybe a lemon....anyone else who can do this test in a similar way ?

Anders

Anders,

Nearly all bins will show some astigmatism towards the field edges and the 8x33 Genesis is no exception.

I set mine up on a tripod and viewed a sheet of square-lined paper at about 7 m distance. Beyond about 60% from field centre I could only focus vertical or horizontal lines, but not both simultaneously. Perhaps you shifted your attention in the shop from vertical to horizontal lines.

The 7x42 SLC was considered to have very good edge sharpness, at least until the advent of the Swarovisions, and my old example showed considerably less astigmatism than the Genesis, though it is not as good as regards CA. With my 10x42 Swarovision I could not detect any astigmatism.

John

John,
I will recheck the bin next time i visit the shop. I will look for differencies in focus for vertical and horisontal lines as you say, and see if this is also like in a "ring" around the image. Maybe this "abberation" is not a problem when looking at stuff at longer distances than 7 m.

Anders

I recently purchased a Kowa Genesis (Prominar XD) 8x33. My desire was for premium performance, but as a no. 3 binocular in addition to a 7x42 and 10x42 I could not really justify the higher costs of the Europran premium competitors.

The intended use was for travel, when also carrying scope and tripod, and as an alternative for my wife, whose own 900 g 7x42 is sometimes something of a burden. Unfortunately, the Kowa now seems to have been requisitioned by her and I must confess to my surprise at the enormous difference in carrying comfort of a 600 g binocular and one weighing 900-1000 g.

Neither of my two local Kowa dealers had the 8x33 in stock and so one of them arranged for me to collect it at Kowa Optimed in Düsseldorf, where I had the opportunity of selecting one (no significant differences noted however). I was not unfamiliar with the model, having seen the prototypes at Photokina (2008, I think), at subsequent Photokinas and various bird festivals.

The binocular comes with a limited 10 year warranty, 5 years parts and labour and just parts thereafter. A neat little cordura case is supplied but this is of limited use as it lacks a carrying strap or belt loop. The importer has promised to take this up with Kowa. The binocular strap is light and comfortable, if a little overdimensioned for such a light instrument and there is a serviceable rain guard and tetherable rubber objective covers. The latter seem to have a light tendency to mark clothing. Weaknesses in the accessories as with so many bins, but I have now almost exhausted my criticisms.

The Kowa has subdued gray-green rubber armouring with large elliptical but shallow depressions on the underside, which contribute to a secure grip. The rubber eyecups have 4 click stops and the plastic diopter ring on the right barrel has to be pulled out before it can be adjusted. Operation is smooth and the diopter setting is locked once the ring is retracted. There is a 1/4" x 20 thread under a cap at the front of central hinge for a tripod adapter and adjustment of the inter-pupillary distance (54-74 mm) is smooth but offers sufficient resistance to avoid accidental shifting. The central focussing wheel is anodized aluminium with a fine milled structure and is very fast, taking only 120° from 5 m to infinity. Minimum focus is 1,5 m. The operation on my sample is the best and smoothest I have experienced on any bin. Due also to the outstanding central sharpness, optimum focus is achieved instantly without any backwards and forwards searching.

My eyesight is no longer good enough to give a reliable assessment of the bin's capabilities, so I set it up on a tripod and aligned a 6x18 Zeiss monocular on a second tripod behind the oculars. The image was of course very dim (< 0,7 mm exit pupil!) but sharpness was well maintained considering the 48x magnification with mere 33 mm objectives. Other tests (the "Vögel" test, Holger Merlitz) have highlighted the outstanding quality of the Kowa Genesis binoculars as being their suppression of chromatic aberration, better than all competitors, and the overriding impression is of a supperbly clean and crisp central image, no doubt due to the use of two XD elements per objective. There is a moderate fall-off of sharpness at the field edges due to astigmatism. I would not attempt to quantify this in percentage terms as is done in the Albinos tests, as loss of sharpness, whether due to astigmatism or field curvature, is progressive. No ghosting or stray light was noticed and there was barely discernable pincussion distortion. I could not perceive any "rolling ball" but as a SV user, I have become desensitized.

Again on a tripod I measured the AFOV at 62° by viewing a distant building corner through the objective lens. This value in combination with the 22 mm eye lenses and 4,1 mm exit pupils would give a theoretical eye relief of 14,9 mm and Kowa indeed quote 15 mm. It is not enough for me to be able to view the whole field with my glasses with a positive correction (far-sighted) but might enable those with negative correction (near-sighted) to do so. A paper test revealed, as far as I could discern, a neutral colour balance.

The Kowa Genesis binoculars will probably not achieve great market penetration in Europe or North America. They are significantly cheaper than the premium European bins with which they compete, but do not carry their prestige. On the other hand, the 8x33 Genesis with a list price of around €1000 is more expensive than Zeiss' or Swarovski's second tier. I am however very satisfied with my purchase and would heartily recommend their consideration.

John

Hello John,

thanks for your review and comments about the Genesis.
From the discusion i realized that your 2 other pairs are a Swarovision EL 10x42 and one SLC 7x42. I hope i am right.
What do you think abou the Genesis, does it stand side by side among the 2 others? You say that central sharpness is very good, so probably there is no noticeable difference, what about the brightness (or low light performance)? The exit pupil of the 8x33 is very similar to your 10x42, are they equal on that factor? And compared to the 7x42, do you see much difference?

And one more question, have you tested/tried any other good 8x32? If you did how they compare with the Genesis 8x33?

Thanks in advance,

George

Hello John,

thanks for your review and comments about the Genesis.
From the discusion i realized that your 2 other pairs are a Swarovision EL 10x42 and one SLC 7x42. I hope i am right.
What do you think abou the Genesis, does it stand side by side among the 2 others? You say that central sharpness is very good, so probably there is no noticeable difference, what about the brightness (or low light performance)? The exit pupil of the 8x33 is very similar to your 10x42, are they equal on that factor? And compared to the 7x42, do you see much difference?

And one more question, have you tested/tried any other good 8x32? If you did how they compare with the Genesis 8x33?

Thanks in advance,

George
"Last time i was at the local bino shop i looked at the Genesis 8x33.
I was looking with the genesis at a well illuminated wall with shelves on, at a distance of approximately 8-9 m away. When looking at a specific point on the wall and moving the bin to the right there was a drop in focus say at 60% distance from the image center, and then the focus came back when moving further to the edge of the image. Maybe a lemon....anyone else who can do this test in a similar way ?"

Anders

No.It wasn't a lemon. I just tried the Kowa 8x33 Genesis and that was exactly what I observed. Weird actually. Frankly, I don't think the Genesis is worth $1200.00. It is a level down from an alpha binocular and contrary to what some say it does exhibit CA at the edge just like other binoculars. Franky, I wasn't that impressed with the Kowa. It did not compare to any of my porro's and IMO a Swarovski 8x32 EL is quite a bit better. There is something not quite right about it's optics and it just wasn't a WOW for me.

John,

You would be better off with a used alpha like a Swaro 8x32 EL. It outperforms the Kowa and can be had for about the same money. The Kowa is overpriced for the optics. It is a rung down in optics from the alphas.

John,

You would be better off taking John Russell's much more detailed review of the Kowa's more seriously than Dennis's review which I have linked here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2693334&postcount=1238

You will note that Dennis did say at the beginning that the Kowa's "are very high quality and the optics are very good." One wonders if he should have referenced John's review?

Bob

You would be better off taking John Russell's much more detailed review of the Kowa's more seriously than Dennis's review which I have linked here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2693334&postcount=1238

You will note that Dennis did say at the beginning that the Kowa's "are very high quality and the optics are very good." One wonders if he should have referenced John's review?

Bob
The Kowa's optics are very good but not up to alpha quality. You can take that very seriously. They have CA at the edge and really a small sweet spot because they start blurring rather quickly and then they get sharper at the edge again. Kind of weird. At the $1200.00 price you would be better off going for used alpha. Allbinos agrees in that the edge gets too soft too soon. They have them ranked 9th and that is about where I would put them.

http://www.allbinos.com/182-binoculars_review-Kowa_Genesis_8x33.html

Last edited:
Here is my summary of the Kowa, as it will be in the upcoming publication of the review. With regard to a purchase, all these details of optical quality would mean nothing if that bino wouldnt fit perfect.

No CA! Thats what I like.
(Edit: I used a friends EL 10x42 SV quite a bit and it showed, according to my somewhat hazy memories, more CA than the Kowa. By next week I can compare the EL 8x32 SV and the Kowa side-by-side)

140m FOV. FOV is so important, it can only be replaced by even more FOV.

Very neutral colours. That and the overall contrast being a bit low made for a slightly flat view on these dull, overcast days in the foliage-free season.

But the micro-contrast is fantastic. In hayz conditions, for example when looking on subjects 30+Km away, the Kowa showed more fine details than others. Be it the tower crane on a building 50Km away or the tailplane fin of a starting aeroplane in the hazy distance, the view with the Kowa was more detailed.

80% sweet spot, lots of sharpness near the edges, very flat field, all in all a handy package.
As with everything in life, you win some, you loose some :)

As for the price. The Kowa has a RRP of 999,- and can be found for € 899,-.
O fcourse, finding the right alpha (right=it fits me) in excellent shape with the quite latest coatings at the right price would be preferable.

Last edited:
So Dennis, since the Bressers are optically and mechanically as good as the Swaro EL, does that make them better optically than the Kowa?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back