• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Probably a stupid question but... (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

I need to replace my Velbon PHD-157 as this is the second one I've had where the horizontal/vertical plate won't lock tight - there's a slight movement...

I like the single twist/lock action adjust up/down and left/right however, and am a bit confused by the many options available - seems some have separate horizontal and vertical lock which I think is a problem if I've got one hand on the focus of my 'scope...

... Am I understanding this correctly, or do they all operate with a single twist?

Any recommendations for an upgrade in terms of quality and lightness, but with the same action as the Velbon.

Thanks in advance.

Any movement means your head is overloaded and/or unbalanced causing excessive wear and tear on friction surfaces. A head properly loaded and balanced will stay put at any position (with only minimal pan/tilt tension)when you release your grip.

How to fix this? Get a head that has a load capacity at least 2x+ more than the total weight of your scope with eyepiece and SOC if any. For an 80mm class scope you want something like the Velbon FHD-61QN or the FHD-51QN for a 65mm class scope. Both these come with a fairly long QR plate too which allows for more freedom to achieve proper balance, i.e. your scope should not flop over but stay horizontal when the tilt knob is loosened. Or get a gimbal-type mount.

Thanks RJM,

The thing is, after two faulty Velbons, I'm reluctant to have another of theirs.

The problem I've had is not caused by overloading on the friction surfaces - that all works fine, the issue is with the baseplate that can be flipped vertical or horizontal (so photographers can switch between landscape and portrait) - it has a couple of mm play when locked down.

So I guess I'm looking for recommendations for (non Velbon) heads which have left/right/up/down movement controlled by a single twist grip...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back