• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod/Tripod and head (1 Viewer)

Susan M

Hi all:

I can't believe I found you - an entire forum that talks about bird photography with Canon cameras! Where were you when I was agonizing about the 400 5.6 versus the 300 4.0 IS and 1.4 TC? (I went with the 300 mm).

I introduced myself on the introductions forum. I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and live on the edge of a huge natural area www.weaselhead.org where there are 216 species of birds, according to the sign I read today. I bought the 30D at Christmas and just got the 300 mm and TC last week so I'm fairly new to this.

Of course, I'm running into the whole cloudy day, not quite enough light, high ISO, struggling to get shutter speed happening and then getting soft pictures thing. I am in the market for a tripod/shutter release or a monopod but, being new to this, am not sure which way to go and what head should be on the pod.

Realistically, I'm probably more of an on-the-go photographer right now. I don't get as much time to hide in the bush as I used to since we've had a baby after quite a gap. I don't get to take long periods away and do an awful lot of shooting while he's asleep in the stroller parked up the hill aways. In this case, it seems like a monopod might just be simpler - easier and quicker to set up. I've never used one at all, though am going down to try them with my gear this week, so don't know what kind of head you'd stick on it. The guy at the shop said a pan and tilt head, but he's not a bird photographer. Does this sound reasonable? Is there something I should know about features or quality that I might regret not knowing? Sort of like the lense remorse you get when you spend money on a cheaper lense that doesn't deliver???

And another newbie question, how high should a tripod go? I'm 5'11" (71")and the tripod that the guy recommended only went out to 58" (Manfrotto 190XB with 486 RC2 ball head). I know that you don't do all your work up high all the time but is it normal to have to crouch *all* the time?

I get the idea that photography in general is a huge money pit and, eventually, you end up with one of everything. I could see that I would eventually want to have a tripod and a shutter release for the extra sharp images - does it make sense at all to dither with a monopod in the meantime? BTW, the one the shop guy recommended was also a Manfrotto - the 680 I believe.

Thanks!

Susan M

Hello Susan, welcome on board!
I'm sure Many BF members will soon add their expert advice .. just a quick tip (since you seem to have already struggled to get the necessary know-how) .. having an IS lens and a baby (LOL), a monopod seems the proper choice ... but if you plan to use a tripod, go for a sturdier one (if you stick with Manfrotto, the 055 series is recommended, e.g. 055ProB or 055V, both are quite fit to your height).
As for the tripod head, get one with a quick release system; I prefer a video head to a pan-and-tilt, for example the 128RC is a good, cheap choice, quite fit to your light equipment ... a 501 videohead is much smoother and sturdier, but heavier and more expensive .. the 701RC2 is usually quite well recommended and it's a good compromise beteween the two above mentioned

Just keep in touch and let us know what your choices are

Cheers,

Max

Last edited:
Hi Susan, I use a Manfrotto 680B Monopod with a 234 RC head and this works very well with my 400mm f5.6 prime + converter. I see no reason for a pan head with a Monopod, all you need is a tilt action.

Hi Susan,
Welcome to BirdForum. I am sure you will find a wealth of information and inspiration from within this worldwide community.

I would echo Roy C's advice. A monopod with a tilt-action head and a quick-release plate is ideal. I would suggest buying one that extends at least up to your eye-level as there will be times when you will want to tilt the camera and lens upward to obtain a photograph.

Hello Susan,

For what it's worth, I use a quite cheap monopod with quick release plate, which is very handy and have tightened the pan and tilt head in the netral position and cut the handle off!
What? I hear you cry. Well the handle got in the way and I never used the facility as one just uses the "lean" of the monopod to get the subject in view. You always have hold of the monopod and can't walk away from it like a tripod so it's not a problem. Having quite a good long monopod means that using the "lean" method you can still get your eye to the camera viewfinder. Don't expect a monopod to be as stable as the camera on a tripod though, human error is still in the equation shake-wise.

Good luck

Adrian

Thank you Max - that helps. I've looked them up on the website and will be sure to try the tripods and heads this week!

Susan M

Hi Susan, I use a Manfrotto 680B Monopod with a 234 RC head and this works very well with my 400mm f5.6 prime + converter. I see no reason for a pan head with a Monopod, all you need is a tilt action.

Thank you Roy. That is the combination suggested at the camera store so I'll give it a try this week! Glad to know it works ok for you.

Susan M

Hi Susan,
Welcome to BirdForum. I am sure you will find a wealth of information and inspiration from within this worldwide community.

I would echo Roy C's advice. A monopod with a tilt-action head and a quick-release plate is ideal. I would suggest buying one that extends at least up to your eye-level as there will be times when you will want to tilt the camera and lens upward to obtain a photograph.

Thank you! The 680 I think comes *just* to my eye level so I'll give it a try and see how it works. I'll let you all know when I take the plunge and how it works out!

Susan M

Hello Susan,

For what it's worth, I use a quite cheap monopod with quick release plate, which is very handy and have tightened the pan and tilt head in the netral position and cut the handle off!
< snip> Having quite a good long monopod means that using the "lean" method you can still get your eye to the camera viewfinder. Don't expect a monopod to be as stable as the camera on a tripod though, human error is still in the equation shake-wise.

Good luck

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. I can imagine that leaning might just be easier. I'll have to try it out!

Susan M

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back