Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ÔÇô Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New book: Birding hotspots in Andalusia - Huelva province

Old Monday 2nd December 2019, 13:06   #1
Gonšalo Elias

New book: Birding hotspots in Andalusia - Huelva province

"Birding hotspots in Andalusia - Huelva province" is now available.

This book is aimed at all those who would like to watch birds in western Andalusia and don't know where to start. It contains a description of some of the best locations for watching birds in the Huelva province, including the western half of Do˝ana, Odiel marshes, El Portil lagoon, Isla Cristina saltpans and many other places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capa huelva 3a quadrada.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	711545  
Old Monday 2nd December 2019, 13:27   #2
Simon Wates

Well done Gonšalo! My old stomping grounds still go out there once in a while. Great spots for Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Western Olivaceous Warbler and Lesser Short-toed Lark and others not easy in Portugal.
Old Monday 2nd December 2019, 22:45   #3
Gonšalo Elias

Thanks Simon, indeed Huelva has several great birding hotspots, however for the species you mention I think that they are somewhat easier in the nearby Seville province. I should point out that much of Do˝ana park belongs to Seville.
Old Tuesday 3rd December 2019, 08:16   #4
Simon Wates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonšalo Elias View Post
including the western half of Do˝ana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonšalo Elias View Post
Thanks Simon, indeed Huelva has several great birding hotspots, however for the species you mention I think that they are somewhat easier in the nearby Seville province. I should point out that much of Do˝ana park belongs to Seville.
"My bad", I misled myself thinking of the western side of the Guadalquivir, rather than one province or another. Still, Do˝ana is almost of a patriotic nature to me, fell in love with Andalucia and its people in the early 80s and 90s and it took me a few visits to get confident around Do˝ana and nearby. So I'm sure your new guidebook will be very useful to many. I'm often surprised how visiting birders to Do˝ana itself seem often to miss out on the species I mentioned above, even the sandgrouse, which although sometimes a bit hit and miss are usually reliable.
Old Tuesday 3rd December 2019, 09:23   #5
John Cantelo

Looks interesting! Is there a sample page/list of contents available online? I'll be away shortly but will probably get a copy in the new year. Is the guide's title meant to suggest that further volumes are in preparation on the rest of Andalucia?

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Tuesday 3rd December 2019, 17:58   #6
Gonšalo Elias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Looks interesting!
Thanks John.

Quote:
Is there a sample page/list of contents available online?
Sure! Attached please find the table of contents and an example of a site description. All sites are presented in this two-page format.

Quote:
Is the guide's title meant to suggest that further volumes are in preparation on the rest of Andalucia?
I am currently evaluating that possibility. Not necessarily for the whole of Andalusia because the eastern provinces are a bit far away for me, but I am considering at least Seville and maybe one or two more provinces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	huelva indice.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	711652  Click image for larger version

Name:	huelva sample 1a.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	711654  Click image for larger version

Name:	huelva sample 1b.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	711655  

Last edited by Gonšalo Elias : Tuesday 3rd December 2019 at 18:00.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: