• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brunton's Epoch/Icon Flag Ship Spotting Scopes. (1 Viewer)

Gwen you have a few Brunton scopes.;) That Pentax to Brunton scope adaptation looks excellent! I ended up keeping my 20-60x80 Icon spotter, it tested out about the same as Henry's angled version. I will be selling the Nikon 60ED Fieldscope sometime and am keeping the little ED50 Nikon spotter.

Gwen you have a few Brunton scopes.;) That Pentax to Brunton scope adaptation looks excellent! I ended up keeping my 20-60x80 Icon spotter, it tested out about the same as Henry's angled version. I will be selling the Nikon 60ED Fieldscope sometime and am keeping the little ED50 Nikon spotter.
Thanks, the Brunton spotting scopes are a result of being retired with much time on my hands to spend money:-O It took some time to modify the Brunton, first the locking ring that kept the original zoom locked in place had to be removed, then the XW20 eyepiece had to be inserted just right(centered)over the inside opening while not allowing any of the waterproof silicone epoxy from getting on the glass or the inside eyepiece barrel ,all while being held in place with a clamp for 72 hrs to let the epoxy dry. Then I applied a liquid rubber seal between the very small gap that remained between the bottom of the eyepiece base & where it now sat secured into the scope.The last step was to apply one more bead of waterproof silicone around the outside of the barrel where the eyepiece meets the scope body, followed by slipping the black rubber ring around the base of the now secured water tight eyepiece to give it a clean & finished look. Now I know what some must be thinking "over kill' , but considering what I paid for the scope & the new eyepiece I did not want any moisture/water ever getting into the scope where the eyepiece mounted or the eyepiece barrel itself. Along with the fact I would probably end up selling this, I wanted the peace of mind that there would not be any problems from my part in changing eyepieces . I am considering doing the same thing on one of the other scopes if I do not end up selling them all, but with a Pentax XW14 .... gwen

Last edited:
I do not know how the Brunton optically compares to your Nikon, but from my handling of the Brunton's I am willing to go out on a limb & say the Brunton Japanese scope is just as well built if not better.... gwen

They must be good scopes ,and the discount price is very good,but someone should have told Brunton to get a little real about the 4500 dollars original retail price ...In the words of Master Yoda..."I am sure they many sold Not"

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back