• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory Fl 7x42 reflection in right barrel (1 Viewer)

Send them to Customer Service in Wetzlar. The team there is excellent and really dedicated. But take care to send photos that show the problem so they know exactly what to look for.

Good luck.

Lee

Being in the USA I believe I have to send them to the Hebron, Kentucky service center first, but hopefully they are just as committed.

GoldenBear,

From your photos it's quite clear to me that there is an unbaffled reflection within the right eyepiece. I've seen exactly this this kind if reflection before, although always as a design defect in both eyepieces. My guess is that either edge blackening was not applied to a lens that requires it or a spacer was not blackened properly. Presumably Zeiss will sort this out, but in any case you shouldn't accept this as normal behavior of the FL.

Henry

GoldenBear,

From your photos it's quite clear to me that there is an unbaffled reflection within the right eyepiece. I've seen exactly this this kind if reflection before, although always as a design defect in both eyepieces. My guess is that either edge blackening was not applied to a lens that requires it or a spacer was not blackened properly. Presumably Zeiss will sort this out, but in any case you shouldn't accept this as normal behavior of the FL.

Henry

Thank you. I spent some time this w/e examining it under different lighting intensities and angles, as well as viewing through them normally. I was asking myself two questions... Could this be normal, and if so can I live with it? "Doubtful" on the first one, and definite "no" on the second, so off to Zeiss they go with some good quality pictures.

Actually, the more I look at them the more confidence I have that Zeiss will correct it because the reflection is much more obvious and easier to see in person.

There's a fair amount of dust and flecks of "stuff" inside both barrels too. I would not necessarily have sent them in for this since it didn't seem to affect the view, but as long as they have them I've politely requested they carefully clean the internals as well.

Just talked to Zeiss Customer Service in Hebron, KY... very pleasant conversation. After describing the issue as accurately as possible, the person I spoke with said it definitely sounds abnormal, and in need of correction.

He apologized profusely and said that after inspection in KY, it will most likely go back to Germany for a complete rebuild with a turn-a-round time of 6-12 weeks.

Just talked to Zeiss Customer Service in Hebron, KY... very pleasant conversation. After describing the issue as accurately as possible, the person I spoke with said it definitely sounds abnormal, and in need of correction.

He apologized profusely and said that after inspection in KY, it will most likely go back to Germany for a complete rebuild with a turn-a-round time of 6-12 weeks.

Good luck with this, but I think it's worth the wait. I had a 13+ year old 8x42 FL in for servicing, and when I got it back, it was as new. Did cost me some money though ($380), but yours is on a different time level. Turn-around time was more like 15 weeks, though.

It's early in the repair process, but I'm impressed so far. Bins went to KY center the evening of the 6th. Very next day Zeiss emailed to confirm receipt, and that I'll receive an update in 3-5 days after inspection. Just received another note that they are being sent to Wetzler for repair. Expected 6-12 weeks. They confirmed it's under warranty and there will be no additional charges. Fingers crossed it continues to go this smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good to know, Andy. I will be sending my FL 7x42's in sometime soon for a diopter problem. And though I might wait as you usually do until after the rush 'til the new year, it's possible they will just send them to Wetzlar Germany anyway. At least it seems some new Kentucky operations are working well, as GoldenBear's reports say of staying informed, are working so far for him. Even with the new Kentucky service center now in operation.

It would be nice to hear back from GoldenBear as it unfolds of his experience along the way. It sounds like Zeiss is trying to do it right while moving to KY, but there may be some rough spots to better service again in the beginning months, as can be expected with any newly moved operation, as complicated as that can be.

I liked Lee's interview with Zeiss's head guy here; https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3906351#post3906351

To date I have not heard anything further about my FL's since the KY center confirmed they were being sent to Germany for repair. The 29th of this month will mark exactly 12 weeks since I sent them in.

Although response from KY was quick and complete, it seems whatever communication system they are working to implement for Wetzlar is not up and running. Several people had advised that this is "normal" for repairs being done in Germany, so I was expecting it.

Hoping they arrive by end of month or before Thanksgiving at the latest, and that they are repaired proper the first time.

Repair update

Closing in on the 12 week mark since I sent my 7x42 FL's in for repair, I decided to email Zeiss this afternoon. In less than an hour I received a response that repairs are complete, and the bins are in transit from Germany. I should have them in 1-2 weeks.

They even provided a written repair report; however, after reading it I'm a bit concerned that the original issue of reflections behind the eyepiece was not addressed. Some of what's listed I didn't think was even a problem. I realize these are tech notes that I may not fully understand or may even be misinterpreting, so I'll have to wait and see.

Nice to hear that they are on the way, though it would have been even nicer if you didn't have to initiate the response. But at least the work is done, and hopefully they fixed your complaint while they were at it! Sometimes it's good to check up with repair departments as you did. Because sometimes for them, there are only so many hours in a day to do the work, and with how busy some repair departments can be, it seems you did the smart thing to call, after a reasonable time waiting to hear back. I used to work in a very busy but small staffed local film camera repair department, and the more time we spent answering phones, the less time we spent repairing!

Though Zeiss' repair department should be considerably larger, no doubt, but how well staffed, it's hard to say.

The work summary says they performed a...

1 General system check
2 Eyecup(s) defective
3 Center drive defective
4 Focusing lens(es) dirty

Details suggest they replaced at least one eyecup and repaired the focus system, both of which were perfectly fine as far as I could tell. Would not think either has much to do with the primary internal reflection problem.

The also disassembled and cleaned lenses, replaced a guiding screw, focus cap, new armor, realigned, etc. No mention at all of the main reason I sent it in.

I'll soon see what they did or didn't do, but it's going to be very frustrating if I have to send them back for another 3-4 months.

The work summary says they performed a...

1 General system check
2 Eyecup(s) defective
3 Center drive defective
4 Focusing lens(es) dirty

Details suggest they replaced at least one eyecup and repaired the focus system, both of which were perfectly fine as far as I could tell. Would not think either has much to do with the primary internal reflection problem.

The also disassembled and cleaned lenses, replaced a guiding screw, focus cap, new armor, realigned, etc. No mention at all of the main reason I sent it in.

I'll soon see what they did or didn't do, but it's going to be very frustrating if I have to send them back for another 3-4 months.

Have patience and let us know how things go after you get it back.

Sometimes it is the user rather than the optic, that is the problem.;)

Good luck, I have had my fun with Zeiss service.

Jerry

Victory FL 7x42 reflection in Barrel - repair done

I received my FL 7x42's back from Zeiss on Thursday night, exactly 15 weeks and 2 days from sending them in. Happily, they are fully repaired and function perfectly - all reflection issues in the right barrel are gone.

Communication and response times from the KY service center were excellent. I had a few email exchanges with them and was very impressed how quickly they were able to answer, and follow-up with Wetzlar for details and shipping info.

I received my FL 7x42's back from Zeiss on Thursday night, exactly 15 weeks and 2 days from sending them in. Happily, they are fully repaired and function perfectly - all reflection issues in the right barrel are gone.

Communication and response times from the KY service center were excellent. I had a few email exchanges with them and was very impressed how quickly they were able to answer, and follow-up with Wetzlar for details and shipping info.

Hello,

WOW , you have received stellar service and response , compared to where I live , here the service would have taken MONTHS rather than weeks.

Be thankful , there are much worse places to live in the world than where you are.

:-O :-O :-O

Now go out and enjoy your binocular.

Cheers.

For sure the turnaround time was long, but I was aware going in and don't feel I can ding Zeiss too much over it, especially since the repairs seem to have been completed so well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back