• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First outing and post (1 Viewer)

mortelet

My first digiscoping trip to the local wetlands resulted in some interesting observations.
1. What I thought was a duckling turned out to be a little grebe!
I had seen what I thought was 2 ducks and a duckling on several occasions at some distance, never close enough to consider photographing with my FZ50. Today they came closer and I had my new scope with the camera . I was surprised what I saw in the first photo. These birds seem to travel as a threesome!?

2. My scope is an Long Perng 80mm achromat (makers of WO scopes) and even with a WO fringe killer filter I still get fringing effects. See second photo of the white faced heron. I will have to save my pennies for an APO I think.

Not too disappointed with the first outing though.B :)

Keith

Attachments

• Young cormorant small.jpg
    Young cormorant small.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 161
  • white faced heron.jpg
    white faced heron.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Hi Keith and welcome.

looking at your photos the first one is of a Little Grebe.

Your Long Perng 80mm achromat looks very similar to my old WO Zenithstar 80. I actually paid for the Long Perng scope but the shop had sold out and sent me the WO instead at no extra cost. It suffered from fringing quite a bit in bright conditions and I tried the Baader Semi Apo filter which worked to a point but I lost a lot of light with it. I sold my WO ZS80 and purchased a Skywatcher Evostar Pro 80ED which was a similar price. It has a fluorite glass element in it and you can't detect any fringing at all in any situations. It's about as close to an apo as you can get without spending ridiculous apo prices.

For a good idea of what the scope can do have a look in my gallery or better still have a look here at this guys photos. He uses the same scope and combines it with Kenko Pro teleconverters, either a 1.4X ot a 2X. I use a Vivitar 1.5X converter. http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/

Paul.

Keith,
Excellent job on your first digiscoping trip. The combo certainly seems sharp enough. Try reducing the "fringing" with software adjustments. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back