• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to painting birds! (1 Viewer)

I think you hit it on the head when you talked about being brave Mike. I keep adding a little at a time and it always looks too much when I apply it but when it dries and I go back to it I realise it will take much more. I've started to apply blues and purples but I have a lot of rooks feathers and part of a wing at home and the underside of the primaries and secondaries are more silver than the rest of the feathers. This is a photo of where I'm up to, not done much to the falcon yet as I'm going to get this rook right first if it kills me! Thanks for the advice from you and also from you Tim I am trying to take it all onboard but it is a very steep learning curve!
Greg

Attachments

• DSCF0229.jpg
    DSCF0229.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Personally I'd be delighted to have painted this. The sheen on the rook is splendid (the undersides of their wings are less pigmented, as you've shown). I drove straight by one today and it never moved from the wall - incredible the amount of pure colour (not just irridescence) in the bird's plumage. Quite dazzling really.

Thanks Tim,
I'm going to put a few other rooks in the background when I've eventually finished these two. I still think there is quite a bit to do before I'm finished.

To all the purists out there I'm sorry but with my background I couldn't resist putting jesses on the falcon. Not a very good photo but it was taken indoors in poor light. Still need to do some more work on the rooks in the background as I'm not happy with a couple of them. Would be interest to know what you think of the composition of the painting as it’s always better to have another perspective on a piece of work.
Changing the subject a little I have joined a local group of artists that work in watercolours. I have been twice and I'm finding it a very different medium to get my head around. Will post a sample when it looks something like! I do like the way you can use the same colour to give allsorts of shades by just thinning it down.

Attachments

• DSCF0259.JPG
    DSCF0259.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 232
Nice one Greg. The falcon gives a great impression of slicing through the air and the drastic cropping of the near rook creates a real sense of drama.

Two small observations only. Does it really need the hills at the bottom? This is an aerial drama, rooks and falcon both in their element, does anchoring that with a horizon detract a bit from that?

Each bird is also seperate in the sky with neat little spaces between each one. Perhaps overlapping some of the shapes so that they interact with one another would break up that effect and give a touch more realism to the piece?

These are just observations you understand, just my personal ones. I really do think you've done a great job with this in all other respects.

Mike

Two good points Woody! To be honest I've found the backgrouds difficult to get my head around and have been trying different things with each painting I do. As I live in the Lake District I'm so used to seeing the hils in the background I automatically painted them into the picture. I like your idea about overlapping some of the rooks I did space them out a little as I was a little worried about over crowding the picture.
Nice one Greg. The falcon gives a great impression of slicing through the air and the drastic cropping of the near rook creates a real sense of drama.

Two small observations only. Does it really need the hills at the bottom? This is an aerial drama, rooks and falcon both in their element, does anchoring that with a horizon detract a bit from that?

Each bird is also seperate in the sky with neat little spaces between each one. Perhaps overlapping some of the shapes so that they interact with one another would break up that effect and give a touch more realism to the piece?

These are just observations you understand, just my personal ones. I really do think you've done a great job with this in all other respects.

Mike

Hi Greg,

Glad you could join us...

First off - I have to say I think you're under-estimating yourself and your ability by a long shot...

Your detail work is superb - and this last pic - the sky is stunningly well painted - wish I could do as well!! I really like the composition but then I like a lot of negative space - and in this sky drama I think it looks quite natural - with or without the hills this is an incredibly vibrant work...the falcon could only be conceived in that posture by someone with your years of close-up observation...brilliant!

As to the falcon you thought looked flat - I think a little backlight ( yellow/white around the body outline on the left side would make the bird look more 3D...the light is from the right front so then the backlight would be left back of the bird. Just a thought...

The barney portrait and the irridescence of the rook turned out beautifully...

I'd be chuffed to have turned any of this work out..and I love the sketches - hard to believe that you have such in-depth knowledge of your subject that you can manage such magnificent sketches from memory...

Keep it coming!!!

Thanks Chris I will have a look at the picture again and see if I can get something like that to work. Won't be on the forum much for a few months as I'm going to visit friends in the US. Will try to do some work while I'm there but not sure if it will be possible until I try! Thought I would just put a few more old sketches from my sketch book! Once again these were done from memory. Yes I know I need to get out and sketch from life and I promise I will try and find time to do it!

Hi Greg,

Glad you could join us...

First off - I have to say I think you're under-estimating yourself and your ability by a long shot...

Your detail work is superb - and this last pic - the sky is stunningly well painted - wish I could do as well!! I really like the composition but then I like a lot of negative space - and in this sky drama I think it looks quite natural - with or without the hills this is an incredibly vibrant work...the falcon could only be conceived in that posture by someone with your years of close-up observation...brilliant!

As to the falcon you thought looked flat - I think a little backlight ( yellow/white around the body outline on the left side would make the bird look more 3D...the light is from the right front so then the backlight would be left back of the bird. Just a thought...

The barney portrait and the irridescence of the rook turned out beautifully...

I'd be chuffed to have turned any of this work out..and I love the sketches - hard to believe that you have such in-depth knowledge of your subject that you can manage such magnificent sketches from memory...

Keep it coming!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0115.jpg
    DSCF0115.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF0126.jpg
    DSCF0126.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0112.jpg
    DSCF0112.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0113.jpg
    DSCF0113.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 103
Being able to scetch from memory with such accuracy is just amazing! Wow! Amazing how many details! You really know the hawks off by heart.

With your knowledge of birds of prey, field sketching them should be a breeze and I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Mike

With your knowledge of birds of prey, field sketching them should be a breeze and I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Mike

Cheers Mike I'm off to spend some time in California next week and I gererally do see a whole load of raptors over there. The red-tails and red-shouldered are the easy ones to get close too but the coopers are not too bad. Have only managed to get close to a praire falcon a few times but the Goldies seem to be quite layed back. Anyway we will what I can get and will post them when I can.

Super sketches Greg

Thanks Arthur,
Sorry It's taken so long to say that but I have not been able to use a computer for a while and maybe out of touch again very soon. As some of you will know I'm currently in the US visiting with friends. I'm still trying to find time to paint but it is difficult as I have so many things to do and see while over here. This is a picture of a friends Saker. I tried a couple of new things with this one including a new way of doing the background colour. I think it worked but would value comments! Sorry the picture is not of the usual quality but I don't have photoshop to use here and had to work my way around the problem!
Greg

Attachments

• gui.picresize.com.jpg
    gui.picresize.com.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 132
Hi Greg - good to have you back and I hope you are enjoying life over the pond.
Regarding this latest delicacy you present before us - Firstly many huge rounds of applause; secondly, 2 pieces of crit which will, I hope, be constructive.
Second things first: If I were you I would continue the perch down and off the painting. As it is, it looks lost and floating against the green background - which, incidentally, is my second crit. The green does nothing for the painting at all. Is it painted or a digital background? Either way, I would remove it as it jarrs with the beautifully executed tones of the bird's plumage. A neutral pale grey, or better still, a textured background derived from some of the warmer tones in the bird's plumage would work very nicely.
That's the crit over - the good bits are, well, the rest! Fabulous bird and a superbly alert pose. Beautifully painted and a joy to see.
Cheers (don't leave it so long next time ;) )
I just love the expression - so falcon-like. Bravo!

Hi Greg - good to have you back and I hope you are enjoying life over the pond.
Regarding this latest delicacy you present before us - Firstly many huge rounds of applause; secondly, 2 pieces of crit which will, I hope, be constructive.
Second things first: If I were you I would continue the perch down and off the painting. As it is, it looks lost and floating against the green background - which, incidentally, is my second crit. The green does nothing for the painting at all. Is it painted or a digital background? Either way, I would remove it as it jarrs with the beautifully executed tones of the bird's plumage. A neutral pale grey, or better still, a textured background derived from some of the warmer tones in the bird's plumage would work very nicely.
That's the crit over - the good bits are, well, the rest! Fabulous bird and a superbly alert pose. Beautifully painted and a joy to see.
Cheers (don't leave it so long next time ;) )
I just love the expression - so falcon-like. Bravo!

Thanks Tim,
As I said I was trying a different way to do the background which is painted and textured using cling film crinkled up and pressed into the wet paint which was applied over a base colour. Continuing the perch down is an easy job but to repaint the whole of the background is a much bigger task. I might just put it down to experience and just use a more neutral colour in the next painting I do. but I will just play the idea over in my head for a while and maybe I will be brave enough to re paint it!
Greg

Putting things down to experience is what we're all doing with even our best paintings. You've done a grand job on this one. I agree with Tim's crit of it, but although the background doesn't bring anything to the picture, it certainly doesn't spoil it either. The expression is superb, and the way you've handled the layers of feathers is exquisite, I feel I could put my fingers through the partings on its belly. I also agree that you're not to leave it so long before we see the next one!

Greg - I didn't mean the background was a mistake - and I applaud your creativity and experimentation - the painting does look splendid as it is. What medium have you used?

Once again my learned friends have beaten me to it and said all the right things. Beautifully rendered bird looking out at me just as they do. I'd definately go with Tim's advice to finish the block, it does look a little awkward, but otherwise this is great stuff. And, as the others have said, don't leave it too long 'til the next one.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back