• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas ROBIN X Factor (1 Viewer)

Well, user, it's more realistic-looking than the robins I paint, generally! ;)

And Adam, I immediately thought of some of Gary Larson's 'The Far Side' comics (don't know if these were ever big in the UK, but they were legendary on this side of the pond) when I saw your, uhh, cheery holiday robin scene. I'm thinking of using your design to send out to our local Audubon chapter members...

;)

Yeah John, as User says, The Far Side is legendary this side too - his day-by-day calendars cheer everyday up! Maybe I should market this sketch...:-O although looking at it again, that's one bloody big robin!!!

Cool vid btw!

Last edited:
Finally had some American Robins make an appearance late this week, marauding through our crabapples. It would have been nice to sketch but I just didn't have time. So I took a bunch of photos, later did numerous sketches based on them and finally did this watercolor this afternoon.

I think I'd be happier with if if I hadn't learned how complex robins are from spending so much time looking at them the last few days. One of the most surprising things is that I always think of them as lanky birds. And yet almost all the photos made them look more squat. Maybe because of so many head-on views. They also have very complex bills and eyes. Hope I've captured a bit of that.

Looking at it again though I'm disappointed in it. Still it's something I've wanted to do. Glad I finally got the opportunity. Good idea Deborah!

Attachments

• amRobinWC121210.jpg
    amRobinWC121210.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 55
I think I'd be happier with if if I hadn't learned how complex robins are from spending so much time looking at them the last few days. One of the most surprising things is that I always think of them as lanky birds.

I agree they are complex! and there is surprising variety for what seems like a "standard" bird - maybe because they are so stereotyped in my mind. I must say though that I tend to think of them as stout, and am surprised when I see a skinny one :-O

Nice robin piece, Ken! I've been robin-less out here in Seattle as well, so haven't yet contributed to the thread. We have had a minimum of three Varied Thrushes in the yard each day for two weeks or more now, so that is some consolation. ;)

I totally identify with your comments about not really 'knowing' an everyday bird like the robin. When I went through the very rigorous (there are significant knowledge requirements just to get in) master birder program out here, in the first class, our prof made the point about careful observation by having everyone take out a sheet of paper and write a detailed physical description of an American Robin without referencing anything except your memory. Of course everyone could immediately ID one from pattern recognition the instant you see them, but that little exercise made the point very well how few specifics you really retain without effort, even for a very common bird.

I LOVE this thread! all the images (painted,drawn or photos) are great!!!
I will be contributing tomorrow I think. all day drawing tomorrow! :) been wanting to draw a robin for ages anyway.

OK. I'm cheating here. This is the same linocut as on my thread. I'm cheating because I originally saw these robins and did a watercolor of them four years ago. But I'm pleased with this, and did spend a lot of time on it, so I'm sneaking it into this thread.

Oddly enough I saw almost no robins during the two weeks after the thread started. Then saw a huge flock in our crabapple that I didn't have time to sketch. Then during a 7 hour Christmas Bird Count this weekend in freezing temps we kept seeing various members of a flock of 50. But I was too busy counting, and too COLD, to even think about skething them then.

Attachments

• nineRobinsLinoV17_122110.jpg
    nineRobinsLinoV17_122110.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 46
PICT0001.JPG
crop.jpg

here's my robin picture!

I have just finished it . I was going to frame it and give it to a family member as a christmas present........ on second thoughts I don't think it is good enough! :/

This is a terrific piece Ken. The printmaking process is suiting you down to the ground!

Mike

Thanks Mike. Nice to see you popping up again here! I'm really surprised how comfortable I've become with printmaking. Oddly enough Debbie Kaspari suggested I try woodblocks when she first visited my blog about four years ago. But I remembered my previous experiences with woodblock and thought: Oh no. No way. I can't draw or paint birds in media I'm familiar with. I'd be nuts to add the difficulty of a medium I hardly know!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

[QUOTE Of course, to include both American Robin and European Robin.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Deborah

May I be allowed to play? Felt a bit sad that the robin options were restricted to just two, so I have widened the field of play a little bit.

Here's an Eastern Yellow Robin from my recent visit to Australia. Happy Christmas to one and all, whichever colour your robins are!

Dave

Attachments

• Eastern Yellow Robin s.jpg
    Eastern Yellow Robin s.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 90
i couldn't be bothered to do a realistic watercolour or something so i did a quick cartoon pencil drawing

another theory how the robin got his red breast, christmas lunch...(sorry;))

doesnt compare to the other robins here, brilliant!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back