• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex PS 100 adapter question (1 Viewer)

pscott

A quick question before I order the PS 100. I have a Celestron Regal M2 65 ED scope. The eyepiece cover screws off and the threads on the scope are 37mm. Can I, therefore, attach the PS 100 directly to the scope without the need of the attachment that goes over the eyepiece cover that I've seen them do on the sites I've visited? If I do then I need to order that piece also.

I am totally new to digiscoping and so completely out of my element.

I have visited the forums often for a bit and find everyone very forgiving of us newcomers and very helpful.

Thank you in advance for the help.

From memory the Vortex default thread is 37 mm so it should screw straight onto the eyepiece. There is a 52 mm version too.
The PS 100 is best for lenses that don't have a filter thread and are internal focusing, particularly small digicams eg Nikon P300/310/330/340 or Sony RX 100/100M2 .
It is a little fiddly to fit up initially so best to only have it for one camera. And don't lose the Allen key.
Neil.

Thank you, Neil

I was thinking since the ps100 was 37mm female thread it should screw right onto the 37mm male thread on the scope eyepiece, but wasn't sure. I went ahead and ordered it and it is supposed to be delivered Tuesday. I see you mention IF for the lens on the P&S cameras. I have at present a Canon A590IS, but the back section of the lens does rotate. I don't think that should interfere and hope it doesn't. I want to get a newer P&S, but will have to save a little first.

I really appreciate your taking the time to get back to me on this and for the camera recommendations. I'll jot down a list of the ones you mentioned and give all of them a good look.

Again, thanks.

I was thinking since the ps100 was 37mm female thread it should screw right onto the 37mm male thread on the scope eyepiece, but wasn't sure. I went ahead and ordered it and it is supposed to be delivered Tuesday. I see you mention IF for the lens on the P&S cameras. I have at present a Canon A590IS, but the back section of the lens does rotate. I don't think that should interfere and hope it doesn't. I want to get a newer P&S, but will have to save a little first.

I really appreciate your taking the time to get back to me on this and for the camera recommendations. I'll jot down a list of the ones you mentioned and give all of them a good look.

Again, thanks.

Here is a link to some of the photos I got with the A590 ( I bought two of them as I dropped one)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157629237228149/.
I just picked up a Nikon Coolpix P340 yesterday and will be testing it out later.
Neil.

Right person behind the lens

Those were all beautiful shots. I can only hope to achieve something pretty close to those. I got the PS100 today. It is raining and supposed to rain through tomorrow so won't be able to get out until at least Thursday. Isn't that always the way.

Do appreciate the help and thanks very much for sharing all those great photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back