• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sending bins to leica for repair/replacement (1 Viewer)

yakface77

Evening everyone,
Decided to pull out my 2001 8x32 bn trinovids this morning, it was very bright in my office with the sun glaring into the eyepiece and i noticed, a pepperpot effect of tiny pin hole shapes internally (eyepiece side) as soon as sun went in this was gone, but easily identified with a torch.

It could have always been like that, ive never noticed. It diddnt make any difference to the optics in either short or long range.

I spoke to leica who are getting ups to collect in the morning, the guy on the phone said its very likely ill be sent a brand new set of 8x32 equivilent bins if its what he thinks it is and unrepairable or uncleanable, not sure what the equivalants are these days or how good they are ??

Any advice ladies or gentlemen, should i live with them ? these 8x32 bn trinnies are immaculate and very sentimental to me. Or from the pics is the pepperpot effect likely to get worse ?

any advice gladly sought, they are in the box ready to set sale to portugual in the morning.
hope to hear from someone soon ;) Craig

Last edited:
Thanks. Do you think Leica will see mould within the optics as a flaw on their part or mine ? As i say they are imaculate and have always been stored well.

Llanelli. Damp sea air?
The binocular is probably meant to be waterproof. So I think that Leica will replace it or replace one or both eyepieces.
There may be further problems inside?

No it's not your fault and the warranty should be honored. There have been reports here that not all BA/BN parts are still kept on hand by Leica, so you may get a replacement.

I'm a BA/BN sentimentalist myself, owning a 12x50 BN, but the HD image would certainly outshine (literally, in light transmission) that of the older model. But if it was cleaned and repaired, I would be happy anyway, because the BA/BN Trinovid is the most satisfying binocular in the hand, and also the best looking, that I have ever used.

(The bad news for me and others who bought their BA/BN used and thus unwarranted, if something goes wrong we may be just outa luck.)

Ron

I think the main reason that you may be given a new binocular is because, as mentioned by ronh not all BA/BN spare parts are available any longer.

If this is the case it will be interesting to see if the offer a x32 ultravid or a new (less expensive) x42 Trinovid

No it's not your fault and the warranty should be honored. There have been reports here that not all BA/BN parts are still kept on hand by Leica, so you may get a replacement.

I'm a BA/BN sentimentalist myself, owning a 12x50 BN, but the HD image would certainly outshine (literally, in light transmission) that of the older model. But if it was cleaned and repaired, I would be happy anyway, because the BA/BN Trinovid is the most satisfying binocular in the hand, and also the best looking, that I have ever used.

(The bad news for me and others who bought their BA/BN used and thus unwarranted, if something goes wrong we may be just outa luck.)

Ron
Thanks for reply, nice to hear. Leica diddnt ask once about my serial number or if i was original owner or to include proof of original ownership. Just to send the bins naked ! Lol, no guards, case or strap

I think the main reason that you may be given a new binocular is because, as mentioned by ronh not all BA/BN spare parts are available any longer.

If this is the case it will be interesting to see if the offer a x32 ultravid or a new (less expensive) x42 Trinovid

Cheers for reply, im hoping it will be like for like or repair as i own the 7x42 ultravids. The 8x32s are set apart imo for longer day trips.

Ron
Does it look like mold to you ?
I would love a repair as im very attached to these and adore the feel and look of the bn armour

I have little experience with such problems, but have read that mold looks like cobwebs, which yours does not. Coating comes loose, when that is the failure, in my experience, in bigger flakes. Either of those problems would probably necessitate replacement of the lens. I don't know what is up with it, but it seems there is some hope that cleaning will fix it.

Customer Service Training has not yet reached/much impressed Leica service. They love binoculars, not people. If you get a new HD, oh unkind cut, you'll get over it real fast!

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back