• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (4 Viewers)

Super contribution Andrew - must be for a BB ilustration comp.? - Great design - did you win? Sorry about the digi camera, but body parts are harder to come by than megapixels!! - On which note; Cheers Beth - it's always nice to be appreciated!
Peter - illuminating work as usual - love the chicky and, as you rightly say, its simplicity. The bee on knapweed is a different, but very welcome diversion.
Top marks to all.

Love the pen and ink, Andrew -- am I right to say Magnolia, or is my warbler-starved brain just projecting a dendroica-style jizz on your fine little bird?

Peter, wonderfully soft lighting in your chickadee piece.

It's hard to keep up here!

Paschalis, that is total quality illustration, art and informatiion in the same package.

Andrew, wonderfully sensitive pen and ink work, and on such a small scale too!

And Peter, it's always a pleasure to see your (almost) daily paintings, they're little gems that cheer up my work day hugely.

Mike

Tim - you are right it was a BB comp entry - didn't win but was in the exhibition.

Jomo - sadly not a Maggy, but a yellow-rumped, and yes it was one from South Uist which I found in October a few years back - it was lurking in a small walled garden. Great little birds the Dendroicas - yellow-rumped is a very big rarity in the UK, but Magnolia has only been seen once or twice!

Cheers,
Andrew

Brilliant - just brilliant!
Not many of us would choose such a viewpoint and even fewer make it into such an enthralling image.
Brilliant! (did I say that before?)

It's one of those images you see watching the birds and always wonder how it would look in paint, but never do it for fear of not doing it justice. But Peter, you have definitely done justice to this moment in time.

Andrew, love the pen and ink...simple with all the right lines.

Paschalis, your work is superb; when are you going to start passing out books for us all?

Thanks!!!
Here's a flock of mallard on a gray day. There is detail in the birds but it is hard to pick up on the smaller file.

Attachments

• Mallard Flock.jpg
    Mallard Flock.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 99
Peter - it's definitely ducks unlimited with you - some of the best wildfowl work I've seen for a long while!

Here's a couple more things I stumbled across....some east coast sparrows from a USA trip in 1994! (never quite got around to the bobolinks at the bottom of the page!!) and a long-legged buzzard from an Israel trip.

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• long-legged buzzard_1.jpg
    long-legged buzzard_1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 95
  • sparrows_1.jpg
    sparrows_1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 98
Lovely atmosphere on something seemingly so simple Peter.

I love the pose on the longleg Andrew, I'd say it's at the ballet! I think you should get that bobolink done you know, finish a lovely page.

Andrew, I agree with Nick, you must finish that Bobolink, but it is really interesting seeing how you put down the initial shapes.
Oh and Peter, the little detail I can see is sublime. Wonderful, really.

Peter, still amazing work from an unusual viewpoint!
Just like you Andrew, with this fine sketch of Long-leegged Buzzard.
My contribution is an illustration-already posted to the Gallery-
shows a pair of Himalayan Quails unfortunately believed to be extinct now,
and is based on stuffed birds.
By the way, this is my submission to a "hidden" competition of Rare Birds year book 2008,where actually photographers are invited to submit pictures, but also artists too.
I do believe that in this case the artists are privileged in contrast to the photographers,because the most of the required species are extinct and therefore-unfortunately-impossible to photograph!
The competition closes on 31th May 2008 and the URL is:
http://www.rarebirdsyearbook.com/compete_prizes.htm
An announcement of the competition will follow in a separate thread.

Paschalis

Attachments

• Himalayan Quail B.jpg
    Himalayan Quail B.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back