• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Some sketches done today
Juv. Maggy + Juv. Goldfinch
A Nosey female Reed-Bunting

Attachments

• Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 130
  • Picture 065.jpg
    Picture 065.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 145
Some excellent sketches, Arthur! I like the alert little fellow in the center of the first page -- have to wonder what's caught his eye.

Keeping this thread active with sketches I did fairly recently - thought they may be of interest. This will test my computer skills to their limit - may go wrong!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 131
I love the second goldcrest, its expression is spot on, and the water rail has got excellent balance and poise, great stuff!

Keeping this thread active with sketches I did fairly recently - thought they may be of interest. This will test my computer skills to their limit - may go wrong!

Strong work. The Rail page is particularily good to my eyes, the Goldcrest over the Kingfisher is an immaculate field sketch. Thanks for putting these on, a pleasure to see them...

May be a bit faint - sorry. This is the level I am at in the field! These were done thr' my scope. The thing is I don't give fieldwork the priority I should - I am hoping that becoming part of this forum will encourage me to do more and I'll post some of my next attempts - lets not be shy|:$|

May be a bit faint - sorry. This is the level I am at in the field! These were done thr' my scope. The thing is I don't give fieldwork the priority I should - I am hoping that becoming part of this forum will encourage me to do more and I'll post some of my next attempts - lets not be shy|:$|

They aren't this faint! Just screwed up posing the attachment.

great stuff Wendy, the lapwings have got excellent poise and the teal on the right is great. You'd better keep up the fieldwork, you need no other excuse than you're good at it and improving all the time.

Sorry Wendy, I didn't comment on your first group of postings, but I thought they were lovely drawings and full of character. This latest selection, however, knock the previous ones into a cocked hat! The direct observation and the quality of your lineswork leaves me in no doubt of the quality of your skills. Very good work.

Shock, horror - managed to actually 'get in the field' tonight - just back, effing frozen -middle of bloody summer, t-shirt, fleece and three-way jacket and still brass-monkeyed!!! And it was sunny at that! Biting 'breeze' from the norwest and hugely disappointed to find that where I'd last left 'my' lovely female skua with chick, now in residence was a pair of bonxies - albeit 150 metres from aforementioned "gorgeous one". Ah well - if they've eaten the chick it's sad, but I love bonxies too -anyway one (I'm thinking the female - was much bonnier alongside its rather dark and angular mate) just sat doing very little, about 70 metres from me giving lovely scope views. Spent about an hour with 'her' then decided was too cold on this exposed heather clifftop, so retreated towards the car.
Then - just where I'd last left her a couple of weeks ago, was the arctic skua female. I never noticed her arrive over my shoulder and she was just too beautiful to resist. Already cold and knackered from all-day meetings about effing graphic design and how to collate my bird report information (eeeek!!!) I was lured into another 45 minutes of watching and drawing. As I creaked upright I decided to take a look where she was sitting and, although I didn't see it, the chick was, I'm sure, still alive. She put on a wonderful distraction display whilst gently calling all the time.
Great evening and one happy camper.

Attachments

• bonxie800.jpg
    bonxie800.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 126
  • arctic800.jpg
    arctic800.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 134
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back