• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which compact system camera (1 Viewer)

warren30

hi everyone I've been using a friends camera for awhile now when going out still haven't got one, have money to get one now now I have saved for wedding I've got up to £400 and was going for fz150 (not sure if nee model due out soon)nikon p510,looking at the compact system prices some are discounted due to new range gf3 £259 g2 £329 will any of these be any good for bird/wildlife pics.I know I will need the 100-300mm lens.also want it as my general camera going to Egypt in September(honeymoon) don't need to get it till then will be using it there.will there be a lot of difference in quality pics with them between the fz150 p510.I think the gh2 g3 maybe out price range with lens on top ,looking around for deals at the moment
thanks guys

Hi Warren,
you are actually looking at two different types of camera according to what you write:

FZ150, Canon SX40 are superzooms, so a really strong zoom is built in. In this class, I would look at the two mentioned before the nikon (my personal bias); offerings from Fuji has a fair bit of traction here on Birdforum as well.

Compact system cameras such as the GH2 or G3 are more expensive, and as you say, I think you would have to get lucky in the second hand department to find anything which includes a long enough lens for your budget (the pana 100-300 is excellent in my opinion). In this class you can also look at the Olympus OM-D with its 75-300.

Niels

hi nijarsen must be the way I worded it ,I know the fz150 and nikon are superzooms and they are different sort of camera to compact system.thanks I will look at the Olympus too see how much,just thought a compact system might be better all round smaller lighter better pics wasn't sure thou if gf3 g2 was good enough 12mp

hi nijarsen must be the way I worded it ,I know the fz150 and nikon are superzooms and they are different sort of camera to compact system.thanks I will look at the Olympus too see how much,just thought a compact system might be better all round smaller lighter better pics wasn't sure thou if gf3 g2 was good enough 12mp

The Panasonic G3 and GF3 are different cameras. Only the G3 is suitable for bird photography, because only it has a viewfinder.

Also, there is no direct correlation between the amount of megapixels and image quality. In some cases packing fewer megapixels in a sensor can actually increase image quality. So I wouldn't let those numbers be the basis of your decision.

Jim

Last edited:
ok thanks Jim I never looked at the specs just seen the price of gf3 wondered if it was worth getting for bird wildlife photography,the g3 is out my price range with lens.
looks like I will end up with superzoom unless get another £250-£300

I would look more at the SX40/P510 as imo the FZ150 although a great camera....zoom is a little short....also the Nikon P510 is not that much talked about on here is Sharp throughout the range

Last edited:
Been there and done that with an HS10...did not like the results.

Teleconverters vary significantly in quality. If you use a poor TC, you will not like the results. The HS10 had a number of other problems in any event which might have affected your experience.

Teleconverters vary significantly in quality. If you use a poor TC, you will not like the results. The HS10 had a number of other problems in any event which might have affected your experience.

I had one of the the best an Oly 1.7x...great for the moon...not so for bird's @51x....the P510 i have now...can't really fault it...very very consistent and sharp compared to the HS10.

I will post a few up in the nikon section in a bit.....full zoom and with digital feel free to comment/compare.

Last edited:
why not think of the Olympus EPL1, both the new and used prices in amazon are tempting

the Lumix 100-300mm is fabulous and work so well it, have a look at this kingfisher shot this is taken with the liveview, but out of your budget, but the 45-200mm seem to be nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back