• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact System Cameras (1 Viewer)

David142

Anyone out there using these cameras. I am looking to buy one but would welcome advice. Want to capture nature/birds and not carry large weight around while I am birding.

Probably your best choice of a CSC would be the Panasonic G3 with the 100-300 lens. It is probably the lightest option to get a really useable focal length, both the AF and IQ are very good. The new Nikon 1 series are also very good but there isn't a native lens hat will give you the sort of focal length you'd want. Using the Nikon adapter you can use normal Nikon lenses with it and retain AF and metering, but this will be more expensive and heavier than the Panasonic set up I mentioned. Here is a link to a thread about the Panasonic 100-300 which might be useful - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=184804 I would still have one if a rash purchase of other gear hadn't left me needing to sell it!

I would second the Panasonic line as cameras well worth looking at. I have the slightly older GH2 instead of the G3 and am very happy so far. There are several threads of relevance in the panasonic section and a few in the m4/3 section. These cameras are not necessarily that much cheaper than a beginners version of Canon or Nikon, but they are much lighter.

Niels

Another vote also from me for the G3. With the "pancake" lens fitted it is a very pocketable camera set up, but is much more versatile than most compacts.:t:

Thanks,I saw that but still dithering on which way to go . All getting a bit out of my price range. Thanks anyway.
David

Just as an alternate idea (I think any of the CSC cameras would be fine for general purpose birding - it's more down to which you like the feel of, which fit your budget, etc), I use a Sony NEX-5N as a second body when birding. When it's cooler outside, I bring it along on a Spider belt holster when shooting with my DSLR set up, and when it's hot outside (like this summer is) I usually split my day of shooting between the DSLR for the early part of the day, then the NEX for the latter part so I can lighten the load and not lug the heavy kit around.

There is an inexpensive lens option which is pretty decent - the 55-210mm eMount lens, which is stabilized - it isn't particularly fast, so better to have some decent light when shooting or a camera good at higher ISO in lower light. Moreover, I increased the range of the lens by adding an old Sony DH1758 1.7x teleextender (originally designed to pair with the H5 superzoom camera) to the 55-210mm lens, giving me an optical reach of 357mm. The whole thing is very light overall, the teleextenders can be found for well under $100 used, and is surprisingly capable, even when I compare with a good DSLR and very good, fast prime lens.

Pretty much any bird or wildlife shot in this gallery was taken with this combo:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/sony_nex5n

Honestly, any of the CSC's will do fine - it's more about the light, proximity to the subject, your own skill and technique, and finding the right lens.

Althought not a 'compact system camera' the Canon SX40 is a very usable, lightweight option for bird photography delivering very usable images up to ISO 800 IMHO. It weighs just 600g has a focal range up to 840mm and a built-in 4.5 stop IS system - cost just £250 (ish). I bought one a few weeks ago as an alternative to carting around my DSLR gear and have been genuinely surprised at the IQ you can get out of this little Camera. Certainly a useful tool for a birder that wants some good record shots.
I have only had it for a couple of weeks so still learning but attached are a few shots taken with it to give you an idea, they are all hand held at 840mm and cropped fairly heavily.
BTW although the specs say no RAW there is a free download which gives you RAW, superfine jpeg and lots more goodies and it works flawlessly.
The first swallow shot is at ISO 800 to give an idea.

Attachments

• swallow1 sx40.jpg
    swallow1 sx40.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 123
  • gold1.jpg
    gold1.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 108
  • greenfinch1.jpg
    greenfinch1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 96
  • sample1.jpg
    sample1.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 98
  • green2.jpg
    green2.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 107
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back