• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Oregon 8x32 LE WP thoughts (1 Viewer)

Torview

In the past on this forum I`v recommended this binocular as I find it great value, well, I now own one swapped with a friend.

My reference bin is the Zeiss 8x32 Victory, so I thought I`d post my feelings on how the Opticron stacks up.

Size wise the Opt is about 10% smaller, nicely armoured and has a quality feel, the diopter is on the right e/p and stays put, the focuser is well positioned and very slick.

Both share a 8* fov. To keep it simple I`m going to call the Zeiss a 10 and list my feelings on the Opticron accordingly.

Resolution 6
Brightness 7
Colours 7
Chro/Abb 7
DoF 10
Distortion 11

To me it punches well above the asking price, offers about 70% of the Victory`s performance for 10% of the cost.

A little gem everyone, whatever they own could enjoy. These are just my personal findings, please judge accordingly.

Last edited:
I've just posted a review of the Oregons in the Equipment review section - I think they deserve as much publicity as they can get!

The 8x32's are easily my favourite of the bunch and you're right, though they might not be as good as the top end bins (as you would expect!) you get so much for your money.

I tried the Oregon 8x32 a few days ago, to see what the fuss was about, and was extremely impressed. It felt solid and well made, especially for the price, the focusing was smooth and precise and the view was bright and clear. They just felt 'right' as soon as I lifted them to my eyes. I also tried the more expensive Discovery 8x32 but it didn't work so well for me. The eye placement seemed to be more critical and I couldn't see any improvement in the quality of the view.

For the money I think the Oregon 8x32 looks like a cracking buy.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Ron, thanks for the feedback! I must say it's a fantastic job, well, it's more of a hobby really! Though the websites serve their purpose, we always recommend trying a pair of bins out before you buy them, everyone has different preferences and seeing them online just doesn't compare to trying them in the field - certainly worth it with the little Oregons!

Nice review Joe.

A couple of comments I'd make was the one time I did a side by side with the Oregon and Discovery 8x32s was late on a gloomy winter's afternoon, and the Discovery was significantly brighter, and I thought the ER on the Oregon was getting a bit tight for glasses.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back