• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focusing Problem With Zr Ed2 8x43 (1 Viewer)

birchall

Brendan Power
I am far from satisfied with my ZR ED2 8X43. Optically they are excellent. Build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

The focusing mechanism has jammed up. I thought it may have been a bit of grit that got in between the focusing wheel and it's inner barrel. I applied some very light precision watch oil to the gap/joint that separates the rotating focusing wheel from the fixed part. This seems to have freed it up slightly but it's still very stiff and wont travel it's full length. Near focus is now a lot further away than it used to be.

I'm still not sure whether the problem is with the focusing wheel or the internal movement inside the barrels. The fact that it now moves after the application of oil suggests the problem lies with the focusing wheel but I had to use an awful lot of oomph to get it moving.

I perspire profusely when out hill walking. This has resulted in an awful lot of sweat dripping onto the focusing wheel over the years.

I'm wondering if this sweat could have crystallised inside the focusing wheel and be causing the problem?

Can anybody recommend a harmless chemical solution that I can apply to dissolve the crystals without damaging any other plastic or steel parts?

That, I think, seems to be my last resort before returning them to Zen-Ray.

I am far from satisfied with my ZR ED2 8X43. Optically they are excellent. Build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

The focusing mechanism has jammed up. I thought it may have been a bit of grit that got in between the focusing wheel and it's inner barrel. I applied some very light precision watch oil to the gap/joint that separates the rotating focusing wheel from the fixed part. This seems to have freed it up slightly but it's still very stiff and wont travel it's full length. Near focus is now a lot further away than it used to be.

I'm still not sure whether the problem is with the focusing wheel or the internal movement inside the barrels. The fact that it now moves after the application of oil suggests the problem lies with the focusing wheel but I had to use an awful lot of oomph to get it moving.

I perspire profusely when out hill walking. This has resulted in an awful lot of sweat dripping onto the focusing wheel over the years.

I'm wondering if this sweat could have crystallised inside the focusing wheel and be causing the problem?

Can anybody recommend a harmless chemical solution that I can apply to dissolve the crystals without damaging any other plastic or steel parts?

That, I think, seems to be my last resort before returning them to Zen-Ray.
Water

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back