• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Countryman BGA HD WP 8x32 (1 Viewer)

FrankD

The Opticron Countryman BGA HD WP 8x32

Quite a mouthful, isn’t it? That was my first reaction when presented with this model. Actually it was my first reaction when observing most of the lineup from the British-based company Opticron. It has made it a little difficult at times to keep track of their various models as they tend to have upgrades to certain models or the debuting of a new model with very similar names. Difficult to remember in that sense, yes, but not difficult to remember in terms of handling and performance.

That is pretty much how I would like to start the review of this particular binocular. I was first presented with the opportunity to try this binocular out when I attended a birding expo down at Cape May, NJ this past October. While there I spent a great deal of time looking at a large variety of the models that Opticron offers here in the United States. Out of their large selection (think along the lines of Bushnell in that sense) I found a few models that really turned my fancy….the 7x36 Classic BGA, the Discovery WP PC 8x50 and the Countryman BGA HD WP 8x32. (For the sake of brevity at this point let us just refer to it at the Countryman 8x32. ;) )

I want to change my usual review format up a bit and just break this binocular down in terms of likes and dislikes. So, what is to like about this model?

- Size/handling
- Field of View
- Sweetspot size
- Edge performance
- Apparent Brightness
- CA control

The overall size, weight and ergonomics in general of this binocular are very much to my liking. I have fairly large, but not overly so, hands so I like a binocular that I can really wrap my hands around. Many of the current 8x32 models on the market are either too short or the barrels are a bit too narrow to really suit my tastes. Don’t get me wrong, I can use them but they are not what I would call “ideal” in terms of overall ergonomics. The Countryman 8x32 though has just enough length for my hands to fit comfortably on plus just enough “girth” for me to get a solid purchase on the barrel. You can see what I am referring to in the pictures below. Overall weight for this model is listed at 21.7 ounces. This represents a “middle of the range” figure for the various 8x32 models that I am familiar with.

The field of view is a very respectable 420 foot at 1000 yards. Other 8x32 models at a variety of price points reach this same level but none of them exceed it (roofs in reference only). What makes this figure particularly attractive though is how it is coupled with other optical performance characteristics. Many of the less expensive 8x32s on the market are able to achieve this wide of a field of view by sacrificing edge performance or the size of the sweet spot in focus with the center. The more expensive 8x32s are able to achieve this same field of view but with better optical performance in these areas through the use of complicated eyepiece designs that significantly increase the cost of the instrument. These more sophisticated designs require more lenses in the design to achieve this. More lenses means more weight and higher quality coatings to compensate for the potential light loss per each glass surface.

So you may then wonder how the Countryman fairs against other models with similar levels of field of view. Well, against its less expensive competitors it has a flatter field, a wider sweet spot and better edge performance. My estimate as to the size of the apparent sweet spot would be close to 80-85% of the field of view. The remaining 15-20% suffers from a slight amount of field curvature. I say slight in terms of the degree. My eyes, depending on distance and intended object of interest, are able to actually accommodate for it at times. The subsequent result is a sweet spot size that comes very close to reaching the very edges of the field of view. Pretty impressive considering how wide the field of view is in the first place.

The next question is how it compares with the “top dog” 8x32s on the market. At the moment I don’t have any of the most expensive/highest performing roofs on hand. At the time I was originally introduced to this model though I had the opportunity to compare it to what many consider the best 8x32 roof prism binocular on the market, the Swarovski 8x32 Swarovision. I will cut to the chase here…the Swarovski is a better binocular in a couple of optical areas. It has what I would consider “true” edge to edge sharpness and the contrast level is the best I have ever seen on a binocular. In all of the other optical characteristics that I usually look for I could find very little difference between these two models. Yes, the Countryman is that good.

It has been my experience that color representation/bias and apparent brightness go very much hand in hand. Binoculars that have a neutral color bias tend to appear brighter to most individuals. That is the case here with the Countryman 8x32. Compared to my beloved Sightron SII Blue Sky the Countryman appears slightly brighter, in my opinion, partly because the Countryman has a more neutral color representation. The Sightron has a bit of a warm, reddish/yellow, bias that is only readily apparent in comparison to something with a more neutral color tone. I believe part of this color bias is the result of the type of coating utilized on the roof prism itself. It has again been my experience that binoculars utilizing silver on the prisms almost always tend to have a warm bias. Binoculars with dielectric coatings tend to have a different color representation and typically are more neutral overall. One could argue that the light transmission levels associated with each of these coatings has a great deal to do with what I perceive as a color bias. I will leave that discussion for another time. The Countryman is advertised as utilizing Opticron’s “Oasis” coating which, though nowhere explicitly stated, I take to mean a dielectric coating as it is utilized on several of their more expensive models even the Aurora. Apparent brightness is certainly brighter than average as a result.

I also mentioned CA (chromatic aberration) as one of the areas that I felt the Countryman did very well in. I am susceptible to it in optics that display it. It does not bother me to the extent it may bother some individuals but I can see it when it is presented in sufficient amounts. Inside of the sweet spot of this binocular CA appears relatively absent when I view high contrast objects. Outside of the sweet spot in that small area of field curvature CA is noticeable but not excessive. The result is that the view through these binoculars looks very “clean” to the eye. Tied in with CA control, in my opinion, is apparent sharpness. The apparent sharpness level on this binocular is excellent. Whether it is looking at the bark of a tree 30 feet away or staring at a cell phone tower over a mile away I do not feel as if I am missing any level of detail when looking through this binocular.

So, we then come to inevitable nitpicks about this model. I only have one at the moment, the focusing tension. Both units I have had the opportunity to try display the same feel. Before getting into this in detail let me describe the focus in general. The close focus to infinity measurement is approximately 1 and 1/3rd turns, a good speed in my experience. Focusing tension “overall” is quite good. If I am quickly focusing from something up close to something at a great distance then the focusing tension is very smooth and precise. However, when fine tuning the focus on a specific object there is a bit of “stickiness” to the feel of the tension. It doesn’t feel as if it is a quality control issue so much as a design compromise. Keep in mind this is a relatively new unit. I am left wondering if that “stickiness” will eventually work itself out as the lubricant moves more evenly along the focusing mechanism.

Truthfully, that is my only nitpick. I cannot find much else to nitpick on in terms of the binocular itself at least in terms of my personal tastes. I haven’t really examined the accessories at this point but will be sure to comment on them in future posts in this thread.

Lastly, for those looking for some specific characteristics I present the following:

- Close focus is listed at 9.2 feet. My eyes allow me to focus it down to 7 feet.

- Focusing direction is counterclockwise from close focus to infinity.

- The eyecups have one indent between fully collapsed and fully extended.

- Listed IPD range is 56-73.

- diopter adjustment is on the center focusing wheel and is a "pop-out, twist, pop-in" style of adjustment.

All for now. Pics below.

P.S. And for you Brock…only 1541 words….counting smileys. ;)

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 782
  • Oculars.JPG
    Oculars.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 759
  • objectives.jpg
    objectives.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Some digibinned shots handheld through the Countryman 8x32 with my Iphone. Two of the pictures do not have vignetting as I was forced to "straighten" them as they were taken at an angle. The result was a bit of a crop of the image.

The car was approximately 60 yards away. The lightpost was approximately 50 yards and the cell phone tower is well over a mile away.

Attachments

• car.JPG
    car.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 522
  • lighpost.JPG
    lighpost.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 624
  • cell phone tower.JPG
    cell phone tower.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 482
Great review Frank,

I've been very curious about the new 8x32 since your comments after Cape May. The x42s I've tried a few times, and particularly liked them, so it's great to see the little one appears to meet your favour as well. My older eyes registered a bit more field curvature with the 42s than you appear to have described. I look forward to trying them out for myself.

David

Thank you David. I can honestly say that this was one of those reviews that was easy to write as most of them are when you find a great performer.

Great stuff Frank :t:
Seems like a big winner.

In some ways it's nice that Opticron seem happy to regard this improved FOV over the 7° version :
http://www.microglobe.co.uk/images/opticron-8x32-countryman-bga-hd-binocular_2.jpg
as just another upgrade (like improved coatings) and seem to have kept the prices the same. On the other hand maybe it's a bit of a messy situation while stocks of both are about. I see the UK Opticron site has the new specs whereas dealers still seem to be advertising the old.

Norm,

I fear they might be difficult to track down. Like you, I noted that most hadn't updated their specifications but who knows if it reflects what they have in stock. InFocus don't stock the Countryman HD either as they have their Delta series at the price point. At least the Luton HQ is fairly close to me... if I can find it again.;) My satnav throws a wobbly at a critical roundabout.

David

Last edited:
Interesting point Norm. I have not handled the 7 degree version of the Countryman. I would be curious to hear any comments from folks who have used both.

As for the upgrade, I wish all manufacturers took that perspective.

;)

On the other hand maybe it's a bit of a messy situation while stocks of both are about. I see the UK Opticron site has the new specs whereas dealers still seem to be advertising the old.

In the current economic climate, retailers don't hold any more stock than is absolutely necessary so whilst it will take us a while to get all the web listings up to date, it's almost certain that any Countryman 8x32 HDs out there now will be 8 degree versions.

The last of the "old" versions were sold out in November last year at a discount so any special deals that you spot are likely to be for any that remain of those.

Cheers, Pete

Frank, if you still have that bin and/or other Opticrons I wonder if you could follow up on what I copy below from 3½ months ago? Thanks! Its about the make in general.

Pete, have you "heard this one" before? I gave up because of this a BGA T PC Oasis 8x24 for which I had high hopes, and was forced to go for a corresp. "alpha" 3-4 times the price. BTW, one reviewer said whoever names your fine products must be paid by the letter!

Self: ... could you check this out for me please? I, alone among all bin users I know about, instantly see something strange and disappointing in the view ... in several models I've looked through - before the newest generation though ... in these otherwise fine instrumnts, the view somehow looks "dingy", so to speak. The one specific factor in this I coud find is that browns are not separated enough from greens (on tree tunks, say, vs leaves). The others, who never noticed this even when their main bin was an Opt., always did when they looked for it on my telling them, even vs less pricey similar-spec. bins. Can only think this is a "red deficieny" (perhaps deliberate) in transmission. Please compare, in particular, brown vs green when their two hues (correct term I hope) make them similar to each other. Thanks!

You: ... wish I could follow through with your request but I left ... did bring my Sightron 8x32 along with me ... comparing it to the Countryman HD I did note entirely different color biases. The Sightron is, as mentioned previously, reddish to my eyes. Consequently, reds and browns seem to pop a bit more. I love it's contrast level as a result. The Countryman did not have that type of color bias. None of their products did. That isn't to say they didn't have good contrast but rather that they chose to emphasize a different color representation with their anti reflective coating combination.

PS. re the review I second the others of course.

Last edited:
Pomp,

I have the Countryman 8x32 with me as I type this. Now I just need to find some trees with leaves on at this time of year. :)

I am joking of course. Let me see if I can find something with a green and brown coloration to examine this issue. The key is going to be to have something to compare the bin to. I don't have any other bins with me at the moment but I can rectify that later. I tend to take every bins' optical performance at face value...or at least my mind does. Unless the effect is very pronounced I don't think I would notice it without something to compare it to.

Will check it out later today and get back to you.

Frank, sorry I totally forgot how the landscape looks there right now! Take your time. It may not even be possible to see what I describe - if you as another individual can see it all in any conditions - without the many hues of green and brown in trees in spring? or summer.

Pomp,

I will give it a shot. I have a couple other Opticron bins on hand that I will also utilize for this comparison...with other non-Opticron products.

Just out of curiousity, do you think you could describe the "dinge" as somewhat related to the "washed out" effect that many individuals relate about the Zeiss FLs?

Frank, thanks, but no need to try too hard! About "dingy" it's very difficult to describe. I remember then looking it up in the dictionary and finding it was right so I look in the same work just now and see "drab". It's like a lack of spectrum, a sameness of colour, with a hint of blackness...(!) I mean relatively, of course, to what I expect of fine glass. No, it's not at all what I imagine the Zeiss "brightness washout" to be. I also remember different shades of green among the back, scapulars and wings of a parakeet were more distinct from one another than through a fine Nikon (little consolation though!)

Pomp,

Over the last week I have made several attempts to identify the "dinge" that you described with three of the Opticron bins I have in my possession at the moment. I wish I could say that I see it but I don't. Maybe it is just the way my brain is interpreting the image but even in comparison to some other bins I couldn't see what you are noticing.

I will continue to try though.

More reports to follow. ;)

Frank, thanks, but that's going too far! Don't bother that much. You might get neurotic like me, or this might turn into a touchy "Proposer-Denier" thing like RB! But it's real with me - may be some quirky sensitivity in vision. Just returned from four days away on a waterbird survey done every Feb. The region my team did - beautiful sites, marvellous bird life - I did last in 2011. Then I took an Opticron, and felt "down" a lot of the time - may well be the awareness sometimes than the actual view! This time, with a Leica, there was nothing of that. Looked through the new Opticron scope of another team member, and saw no difference in colour vs a 16x Nikon bin. With the constant improvements that fine make may possibly have cured "my" problem, also in the three bins you used. PS. If you do scrutinise on my behalf don't look for the vague "dinge" but what I describe above: "... 'dingy', so to speak. The one specific factor in this I coud find is that browns are not separated enough from greens (on tree tunks, say, vs leaves)". Thanks. And wait till whatever season if that's easier!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back