• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (2 Viewers)

I see from the link below that Peter Harrison hopes to complete a new comprehensive guide to the World's Seabirds by the end of the year.
Something he's been working on for years.
Looks like it should be an amazing and monumental piece of work.
:t:

https://www.apex-expeditions.com/blog/peter-harrison-seabirds-new-identification-guide/

Thanks for this - it will certainly be a 'must-have' guide. In an interview with Peter Harrison published some years ago (wherein it was suggested the book would be published in 2015!) he says that the book will be in two volumes; an ID guide (which seems to be what he's talking about in the link given) and a second volume on seabird biology, etc. Is this still the plan? I'd also add that Hans Larson is also involved with the work which bodes well as he illustrated Klaus Malling Olsen's three books on gulls, Terns & skuas.

Hi Aidan,
hope you're well.

I don't know if you saw the link about the proposed pelagic to Marion Island....

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385628&highlight=marion+island

I was at one point considering going and in reading up, it was stated somewhere that Peter Harrison would be on board, signing his books.

Hi Andy,
Keeping well considering the lock-down situation. Hope you're the same.
I had heard something about this trip, but hadn't seen this BF link. Unfortunately work-wise late January doesn't suit me for a trip.

Haven't heard anything on possibility off P. Harrison 's new seabirds book being published in 2 volumes John.
The addition of Hans Larsson's artwork will certainly make it very appealing I'd imagine...

The new Peterson guide arrived in the mail today!

Like many birders, I like to collect field guides and related books, even if they are more likely to sit on my shelf than ride around in the car with me. Sibley and Nat Geo are still my first choices, the former because it's the single best book for bird id, the latter because of its completeness and the regular updates.

I mostly purchased this book due to the inclusion of Hawaii. However I admit it is very awkwardly included, as there is a completely separate section of the book at the end where all the Hawaiian birds are included. And I mean ALL of the birds...they reprint text and pictures of migrant ducks, shorebirds, birds introduced from North America, etc. Kind of feels like a middle approach that doesn't help anyone: It adds extra pages to the book making it more awkward to carry around, while at the same time feeling like the content would have been better off just as a separate book. Don't get me wrong...I am happy to see the inclusion, just feels awkward. I would prefer them to just integrate that content in the appropriate places in the book: If I can deal with scrolling past Emperor Goose while birding Florida, I can do the same with Hawaiian goose.

The coverage of Hawaiian birds IS good however: It seems fairly up to date, and most importantly extinct birds are removed to there own separate section, rather than mixed in with similarly looking living birds. And it's nice to have a book that doesn't lump them with all the other South Pacific birds.

I've only skimmed the rest of the book...range maps seem to be up to date and taxonomy is current (for instance, Yellow-breasted Chat is in its own family, etc). I like that some of the plates lump everything together, for instance there is a plate of confusing fall warblers, and I like the way they present the empidonax flycatchers. However the amount of geographic variation illustrated is limited, and some confusing groups really need more pictures. For instance, gulls are shown in flight, with closes up of head and feet. It's weird that there are no resting/standing gulls...certainly I spend far more time scanning through resting gull flocks than I do trying to sort through a bunch of flying birds. I would guess a lot of these plates were from the earlier editions. The artwork itself isn't bad, although I do prefer the art in other guides.

The new Peterson guide arrived in the mail today!

Like many birders, I like to collect field guides and related books, even if they are more likely to sit on my shelf than ride around in the car with me. Sibley and Nat Geo are still my first choices, the former because it's the single best book for bird id, the latter because of its completeness and the regular updates.

I mostly purchased this book due to the inclusion of Hawaii. However I admit it is very awkwardly included, as there is a completely separate section of the book at the end where all the Hawaiian birds are included. And I mean ALL of the birds...they reprint text and pictures of migrant ducks, shorebirds, birds introduced from North America, etc. Kind of feels like a middle approach that doesn't help anyone: It adds extra pages to the book making it more awkward to carry around, while at the same time feeling like the content would have been better off just as a separate book. Don't get me wrong...I am happy to see the inclusion, just feels awkward. I would prefer them to just integrate that content in the appropriate places in the book: If I can deal with scrolling past Emperor Goose while birding Florida, I can do the same with Hawaiian goose.

The coverage of Hawaiian birds IS good however: It seems fairly up to date, and most importantly extinct birds are removed to there own separate section, rather than mixed in with similarly looking living birds. And it's nice to have a book that doesn't lump them with all the other South Pacific birds.

I've only skimmed the rest of the book...range maps seem to be up to date and taxonomy is current (for instance, Yellow-breasted Chat is in its own family, etc). I like that some of the plates lump everything together, for instance there is a plate of confusing fall warblers, and I like the way they present the empidonax flycatchers. However the amount of geographic variation illustrated is limited, and some confusing groups really need more pictures. For instance, gulls are shown in flight, with closes up of head and feet. It's weird that there are no resting/standing gulls...certainly I spend far more time scanning through resting gull flocks than I do trying to sort through a bunch of flying birds. I would guess a lot of these plates were from the earlier editions. The artwork itself isn't bad, although I do prefer the art in other guides.

The book must be unique in including birds that are 'known' to be extinct, makes me wonder what the point is?

There are guides that depict species where there is hope of rediscovery e.g White-eyed River martin and Pink-headed Duck but the inclusion of extinct birds seems a waste of space to me, you could have had a plate for your perched Gulls?

National Geographic has for many many editions included extinct birds in the back, put in with the ultra-rare vagrants.

Does Europe even have any (recent) confirmed extinct birds? I know the Mediterranean region suffered a wave of bird extinction, but thousands of years ago.

I think the point generally is to highlight what we have lost, so people become more concerned about what we COULD lose.

National Geographic has for many many editions included extinct birds in the back, put in with the ultra-rare vagrants.

Does Europe even have any (recent) confirmed extinct birds? I know the Mediterranean region suffered a wave of bird extinction, but thousands of years ago.

Great Auk would be the only one I know of, there are birds that don't breed anymore which were fairly regular but that's about it AFAIK.

With the possible exception of Bachman's Warber, I just can't see the point of including extinct species unless you have a genuine hope that populations of e.g Passenger Pigeon persist somewhere?

Last edited:
Somewhat stretching the definition of Europe, Canarian Black Oystercatcher became extinct in modern times, although that is now considered to be a sub-species of Eurasian Oystercatcher. Also the exsul subspecies of Chiffchaff.

I'm trying to think of resident birds that are recently extinct in Europe, but not globally. Andalusian Hemipode is one.

Last edited:
Somewhat stretching the definition of Europe, Canarian Black Oystercatcher became extinct in modern times, although that is now considered to be a sub-species of Eurasian Oystercatcher. Also the exsul subspecies of Chiffchaff.

I'm trying to think of resident birds that are recently extinct in Europe, but not globally. Andalusian Hemipode is one.

That's just a race of Common Buttonquail.

That's just a race of Common Buttonquail.

hence the inclusion of not extinct globally.

Looking through online sources, other than Great Auk and (probably) Slender-billed Curlew, you have Holocene extinction of (not sure the extinct chronology is very good) of Ibiza Rail (from Ibiza of course) and maybe Cretan owl, a big possibly flightless Athene owl from Crete. I would imagine evolving along humans + the ice age geography being really brutal already to wildlife, filtering out a lot of taxa, probably explains the lack of extinct birds. I wouldn't be surprised though if more Mediterranean extinctions weren't determined in the future.

hence the inclusion of not extinct globally.

Looking through online sources, other than Great Auk and (probably) Slender-billed Curlew, you have Holocene extinction of (not sure the extinct chronology is very good) of Ibiza Rail (from Ibiza of course) and maybe Cretan owl, a big possibly flightless Athene owl from Crete. I would imagine evolving along humans + the ice age geography being really brutal already to wildlife, filtering out a lot of taxa, probably explains the lack of extinct birds. I wouldn't be surprised though if more Mediterranean extinctions weren't determined in the future.

Also a flightless owl from the Azores:
RANDO, J. C., ALCOVER, J. A., OLSON, S. L., & PIEPER, H. (2013). A new species of extinct scops owl (Aves: Strigiformes: Strigidae: Otus) from São Miguel Island (Azores Archipelago, North Atlantic Ocean). Zootaxa, 3647(2), 343. doi:10.11646/zootaxa.3647.2.6
PDF
http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/science-otus-frutuosoi-scops-owl-azores-01182.html

and another owl from Madeira: https://phys.org/news/2012-03-extinct-species-scops-owl-madeira.html

There are a few other species (Puffinus bollei, etc), but these are older extinctions.

Regarding extinct birds in Europe: you have Pterodroma petrels from Britain and Sweden, and quite a lot of birds from Canaries (a flightless quail, a flightless bunting, a greenfinch, two shearwaters etc.), Madeira and Azores. However all of them are known only from bones, so no chance of a nice illustration.

Narrowing to the mainland Europe: Northern Bald Ibis and Siberian Crane got extinct (there is only one individual Siberian Crane left).

Hmmm,
as a 'pureist', I find it hard to enthuse about products like this. Looks like the result of a forbiden tryst on a forgotten bookshelf at the back of a darkened room where a traditional book was seduced by a mysterious newcomer, producing a hybrid, the unholy offspring of book and tech.

Last edited:
Hmmm,
as a 'pureist', I find it hard to enthuse about products like this. Looks like the result of a forbiden tryst on a forgotten bookshelf at the back of a darkened room where a traditional book was seduced by a mysterious newcomer, producing a hybrid, the unholy offspring of book and tech.

the book is essentially like the others in the series Andy, they have just stepped over from CD to usb for the recordings. For anyone interested in bird sounds, ID or taxonomy the whole series (with the exception of Birding from the Hip - which has great recordings) are some of the most best books around.
Cheers
James

A new book on birds of Morocco from the Sound Approach Team is one I'll look forward to getting...

https://soundapproach.co.uk/new-sound-approach-title-morocco-sharing-the-birds-coming-soon/

All the 'Sound Approach' volumes are great books in terms of content and this one promises to be no different. However, I find them almost impossible to read for any length of time. A landscape format with a short spine and deep pages may be OK for coffee table art/photographic books but it makes books difficult to hold comfortably and to read. Although I greatly admire the scholarship and knowledge they contain I've never yet managed to read one all the way through or to do so for more than a few minutes without becoming irritated by the design. There's a reason why, overwhelmingly, books have long spines and less deep pages ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back