• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

According to Butterfly Conservation Grizzled Skippers are no longer present and Dingys are on the down. The one I mentioned other day on here was reported to me by a visitor when I was there.
As one of the NWT wardens for this site, I hope we don't lose Dingy's and hopefully we can find some Grizzled this year.

I have a single record from Strumpshaw from 1989, but I've records from 2004,2011 and 2012 from across the river at claxton and rockland broad, This suggests that the actual colony is that side and they occasionally get blown over. But there does seem to be a trend of them turning up in unexpected places this year. Perhaps males wandering in search of new habitat, which might suggest there's more males than territories, which in turn suggests a good year?

I'll be checking the back of Rockland Broad for Green Hairstreaks then!

Some smashing Butterflies at Langley Staithe this afternoon.2 Wall, 2 Common Blue, 1 Small Tort and best of all 1 Small Heath. Never recorded this species on the patch before!

Cheers,
Jim.

Swallowtails!

Dozens on the wing today at Strumpshaw: at least seven in 'the Dr's Garden'. Also present: three Brown Argus.

Attachments

• BA best.jpg
    BA best.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 85
  • ST BEST.jpg
    ST BEST.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 71
  • TWO STs.jpg
    TWO STs.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 84
Painted Lady

For some reason, this afternoon found me driving west, vaguely towards Twitchwell (from henceforth, renamed !).

A stop at Choseley Barns yielded many of the County birding fraternity- some doing a pale imitation of Lewis Hamilton, but in a northerly direction.

An image of my first of year Painted Lady is attached. I there heard of another, yesterday, at Cley.

Attachments

• 071pse.jpg
    071pse.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 73
A ridiculously early Purple Hairstreak at Buxton Heath today flying around an Oak tree in the car park. Also a Broad-Bodied Bee-Hawk Moth in the car park too.

Spotted four Swallowtails at Strumpshaw Fen this morning - my first of the year. Also saw my first Red Admiral of the year, all of these on the Fen Trail plus one or two Peacocks outside the reserve.

Saw my first Small Copper of the year on Mousehold Heath this evening along with another Red Admiral. Numerous Speckled Woods in both locations but there was little else bar the odd Large White.

Painted Lady fast south thru Gramboro' yesterday- probably 'in off'.

2 Meadow Browns and several Small Coppers at Walsey Hills NOA today. Skipper sp seen by another observer.

I've had two separate reports of aberrant female common blues this week. Different aberrations and one from Queens Hills Costessey and the other from Sculthorpe - (bit like buses nothing for 6 years then two in a week!) So worth looking closely at any common blues you see. Though you wouldn't have had to look too closely for these two : one was the shade of a Chalkhill and the other had all the orange spots blue!
It's probably temperature related - the Victorian dealers used to subject pupae to extremes of heat and cold to produce aberrant specimens for sale.

I am sorely frit

that we will see no Dark Greens at Holkham, this year. The patch of Ragwort, which was their usual stronghold, is no more. It has vanished. Completely. Was it the Tidal Surge. Was it something I said ?

Wotteva, there are very few plants dotted about higher on the dunes; surely, not enough (?).

Last edited:
that we will see no Dark Greens at Holkham, this year. The patch of Ragwort, which was their usual stronghold, is no more. It has vanished. Completely. Was it the Tidal Surge. Was it something I said ?

Wotteva, there are very few plants dotted about higher on the dunes; surely, not enough (?).

hi John

The caterpillars of DGF feed on Common Dog-violet so I don't think the lose of some Ragwort will matter to much.:t:

Cheers,

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back