• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SCL WB 10x50 when discontinued? (1 Viewer)

handwerk

I am looking at these used, the light green armor but the serial # DA871xxx would indicate a manufacture date of 2017?

any input?

Something's wrong with that serial number. The 10x50 SLC (along with the rest of its SLCnew siblings) is already gone from a 2013 Swarovski catalogue I have and I think they were discontinued a few years earlier as Peter said.

I believe the rule 1930+(the first 2 digits of the SN) applies only to the Swaro products from 1991 onward. The fact that your SN begins with 2 letters also indicates that the above rules does not apply, as I believe that starting with 1991 Swaro has used only one letter. Anyway John Roberts is an expert on this aspect and I am sure he'll chime in and clarify it for you.

Last edited:
you folks are correct, I called swaro, as usual great service, the bino was worked on by swaro and given a new serial #, it is actually a 2002 model...money saved.

Thanks for the input.

Well all of the above is basically true!

Starting in 1985, Swarovski commenced to use Alpha-Numeric numbering on a limited basis, on it’s commercial production
And from January 1991, the use became universal

Various forms have been used, with the two since August 1991 being A+9 (a letter followed by 9 numerals) and AA+7

All forms of A-N numbering incorporate three components:
- a letter that indicates the product line or product
- numerals that indicate the year of production (and mostly also the week of production), and
- numerals that indicate the production count (initially confined to the week of production, and later on an ongoing count)

1) General Patterns
a) Starting in 1985, various 8 digit forms of Alpha-Numeric numbering were used on some commercial production *
see the first table at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369004

b) In January 1991, A-N numbering was adopted on all commercial product lines in a standard 8 digit form of A+7

c) And from August 1991, the standard form was modified to 10 digits as A+9
The composition of the number is ‘Pyyww nnnnn’, where:
- P indicates the product line/ product
- yy the year of production, add 1930
- ww the week of the year, 01 to 52
- nnnnn the cumulative production count
(in contrast, the composition of A+7 was ‘Pyy wwnnn’, where the count was confined to the week of production)

2) Variations - 9 Digits
From August 1991, the 9 digit form of AA+7 has also been used on a limited basis
The composition is ‘PAyy nnnnn’, where the second letter effectively indicates ‘American’
The 2 uses are:

a) Where a telescopic sight can be manufactured with the reticle in either the first or second focal plane, the numbering indicates that the reticle is in the second plane
i.e. what’s commonly referred to as an American style reticle

b) Where SONA (Swarovski Optik North America) during servicing, replaces the part that had the original serial number

* The 9 digit form of A+8 was used briefly from around 1989, on 10x42 telescopic sights intended for law enforcement purchasers
The production presumedly had different warranty conditions, so the numbering clearly distinguished the units from regular commercial production

3) Modified A+9 Production Count
In October 2011, the 5 digit production count for A+9 numbering was modified (the 'nnnnn' component)
The first digit now identifies a product type, with the remaining 4 digits being the cumulative count
e.g. 1xxxx is used for Habicht Porro prism binoculars, and 4xxxx is used for the main lines of roof prism binoculars
So the count for the Habicht would go from 10000 to 19999 (a 10,000 unit range), and then reset to 10000

The advantage is that with the increasing number of models offered, models from different product lines can have the same alphabetic prefix
but be readily distinguished by the different number blocks
e.g. both the centre focus Habichts and the new NL roof prism line have an A prefix

For those interested in more detail, all of the above is expanded on in the six tables attached to the above link

- - - -

An SLC 10x50 with a serial number of ‘DA87 1810-’ indicates that the original numbered part was replaced by SONA when the unit was serviced it in 2017 (87 + 1930)
And by my observation of serial numbering, SLC 10x50 production was from mid 1997 to late 2010

John

Last edited:
Hi John,

Thanks for fully clarifying this. The only "mystery" that remains is why +1930? (why not another number?). I asked Swaro AU a few years ago but nobody was able to answer. It seems that basically they chose an arbitrary number without any special significance.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I’ve always assumed that it was a birthdate or another date of significance to the then management of Swarovski Optik

Looking at the Swarovski publication ‘Milestones’, 1930 was the year that the SV Wattens soccer club was established . . . so a sporting connection?

John

(The 64 page 4.1 MB publication mainly addresses the history of Swarovski Crystal. It no longer seems to be available online)

Attachments

• in 1930.jpg
    in 1930.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 30
Hi Peter,

I’ve always assumed that it was a birthdate or another date of significance to the then management of Swarovski Optik

Looking at the Swarovski publication ‘Milestones’, 1930 was the year that the SV Wattens soccer club was established . . . so a sporting connection?

John

(The 64 page 4.1 MB publication mainly addresses the history of Swarovski Crystal. It no longer seems to be available online)

Hi John,

You might well be right, but what still puzzles me is that Swaro chose to not indicate the actual year. Why use 87 in lieu of simply indicating the actual year: 17? (as for instance KOMZ and ZOMZ do). According to some people at Swaro the reason for that was that they wanted to prevent knockoffs with "legit" SNs, so I guess we shouldn't popularize too widely Swaro's SN formula..... Anyway, fake Swaros do exist, see for example the attached photo.

Peter

Attachments

• FakeSwaro.jpg
    FakeSwaro.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 80
I educated the seller of those, he really thought that it was a real Swarovski (His story) - he found it in a clubhouse at a golf club. Sort of bummed when his hope of near 2 grand turned to <$100.

Andy W.

I am looking at these used, the light green armor but the serial # DA871xxx would indicate a manufacture date of 2017?

any input?

The answers above are correct, this is a refurbished one, that means new armor, and new prisms if needed, the specs should be up to the last of the 10x50 SLC Neu models. The last of the SLC Neu's was around 2010.
When Swarovski did a re-armor of these they used the older armor, sometimes the lighter green or black.
Swarovski service is second to none, with the ability to refurbish a binocular like they do.

This is a very nice binocular, I had one, very bright in low light with great optics.

The SLC Neu models were very good, not HD glass, but don't worry, they
did not need that to give a great view.

Jerry

Last edited:
Hi Jerry,

Just to expand on a couple of points in your post . . .

When Swarovski services a unit they replace whatever needs to be replaced - in the sense of what’s no longer within what they consider acceptable specification or condition
i.e. especially with a long running line like the SLC’s, they don’t as a matter of routine update an older model to the most current specification
see post #12 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380550

And when a serviced unit is returned it will have a sheet detailing what was replaced/ upgraded

- - -

handwerk's 10x50 was originally a 2002 model (post #6). So in terms of possible refinements:

a) Swarobright (dielectric prism coating)
This was introduced progressively across the SLC line. It’s not indicated on the individual units, but it’s introduction was noted on the box labels
By my observation of 10x50 labels: it’s not on #D7005 502015; but is present by #D7017 56216 i.e. by mid April 2000
So a 2002 unit will already have Swarobright

b) Last coating update to SLC production
All product lines were updated at the start of 2009 in anticipation of the EL introduction, see post #6 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=155446
The 2002 unit’s lenses would only be upgraded if they needed to be replaced (and last observed SLC 10x50 production is late 2010)

c) Rubber armouring
A 2002 model will have the style of RA immediately prior to the neu version, see the image in post #5 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380550
If the RA was replaced it would have been with the same version

And as the model was assigned a new serial number the hinge has been replaced, as may have been other mechanical parts

John

John:

I have experience with several Swarovski refurbished binoculars, your post goes into some of that,
the armor thing depends.

Do you have any experience with these?

This cannot be fully explained in a short post.

Swarovski decides what to refurbish and replace.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jerry,

My personal experience with binoculars serviced by Swarovski is non-existent - as it is with refurbished units

However, the Internet makes it possible with time and effort to find out things that even the most avid collector or researcher, would not have been able to find out at an earlier time

In relation to units that have replacement serial numbers from SONA, I’ve details of 47 different SLC units (along with 53 SL ones) mainly from sales listings
Many include copies of the service documents, and some have additional comments about the work done

Our experiences may differ, but my comments are based on the aggregated information from many others - so perhaps I don’t just make up stuff as I go along?

In terms of some more detail, see my posts about the x30 SLC’s at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=380550

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back