• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IS1, IS2 and IS3???? (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello all

looking for the meaning of this i found that IS1 means atuo IS and IS2 is vertical, and IS3 is horizontal, or is it the other way, anyway what is this mean in the first place.

the thing is that i am confused, i had the IS1 on, that is one the EPL1 as well as on the Lumix 100-300mm lens, and still i can't get stable videos, when taking it handheld. my hands do shake but isn't this is what IS all about.

thanks so much.

From experience with my Sony a33, the is can only compensate for a very small amount of movement and works best with still images anyway, video offers further challenges to IS.

Hi Duha. As I understand it, IS1 provides both vertical and horizontal stabilization, IS2 provides vertical stabilization and is used for horizontal panning and IS3 provides horizontal stabilization and is used for vertical panning or horizontal panning with the camera rotated to portrait format. For still images the stabilization works by shifting the sensor a minute amount to compensate for movement. However, I don't think it would cope with video and I have read that it is better to switch it off altogether.

I believe that the Panasonic 100-300 lens incorporates optical stabilization and, if this works with the EPL1, using that might help with video. However, neither of my Olympus DSLRs have video capability, so I have no practical experience of it and this is only based on what I have read.

Ron

From experience with my Sony a33, the is can only compensate for a very small amount of movement and works best with still images anyway, video offers further challenges to IS.

thanks so much for that, i have used to take videos with the Sigma 50-500mm but as this is a heavy lens i have not ever used it without tripod or on the car i support it with a small bean bag. but now with this lumix lens which is really compact and light weight i thought it would wok handheld, it does a great job for still shot.

so i think next time i will try to find a way to support it.

thanks again.

Hi Duha. As I understand it, IS1 provides both vertical and horizontal stabilization, IS2 provides vertical stabilization and is used for horizontal panning and IS3 provides horizontal stabilization and is used for vertical panning or horizontal panning with the camera rotated to portrait format. For still images the stabilization works by shifting the sensor a minute amount to compensate for movement. However, I don't think it would cope with video and I have read that it is better to switch it off altogether.

I believe that the Panasonic 100-300 lens incorporates optical stabilization and, if this works with the EPL1, using that might help with video. However, neither of my Olympus DSLRs have video capability, so I have no practical experience of it and this is only based on what I have read.

Ron

thanks Ron for this great info and explanation, so guess i better set it on IS1 always, although i mostly take shots on the landscape format.

yes the lumix got an OIS also, and it works much better than Olympus's 4/3 70-300mm, also yesterday i fell on the ground and it fell with me, and until now nothing seem to be wrong neither with it nor with the EPL1. i hope this stay like this :-O

thanks Ron for this great info and explanation, so guess i better set it on IS1 always, although i mostly take shots on the landscape format.

yes the lumix got an OIS also, and it works much better than Olympus's 4/3 70-300mm, also yesterday i fell on the ground and it fell with me, and until now nothing seem to be wrong neither with it nor with the EPL1. i hope this stay like this :-O
I normally leave IS1 switched on all the time, although it is probably not a good idea for flight shots. I am sorry to hear about your fall. You certainly give your photographic gear a hard time but I am glad to hear that it has not suffered this time. I hope you escaped without injuries too.

Ron

For video, make the experiment of turning off the is in camera and leaving it on in the 100-300 and see if you get better results. Take something non-critical (part of your garden w/o birds) and try both that and your normal setting and see if there is a difference.

Using a GH2 w the 100-300 handheld, I feel the in lens stabilization is reasonable also for video, but one thing I cannot do with causing lot of shake is that I cannot zoom during a video without bad effects while zooming. To do that I would need the camera to be on a tripod I think.

Check this one out: http://www.birdforum.tv/action/viewvideo/3141/Helmeted_Guineafowl_dust_bathing/

Niels

For video, make the experiment of turning off the is in camera and leaving it on in the 100-300 and see if you get better results. Take something non-critical (part of your garden w/o birds) and try both that and your normal setting and see if there is a difference.

Using a GH2 w the 100-300 handheld, I feel the in lens stabilization is reasonable also for video, but one thing I cannot do with causing lot of shake is that I cannot zoom during a video without bad effects while zooming. To do that I would need the camera to be on a tripod I think.

Check this one out: http://www.birdforum.tv/action/viewvideo/3141/Helmeted_Guineafowl_dust_bathing/

Niels

thats really super Niels very stable indeed, much better than what i got, but i will upload it on the BF TV anyway.

yes zooming is very difficult, but now i had something i have to verify, does this lens change focus when zooming. have check this tomorrow, and also what you suggested and get back to you.

Niels

i have turned off the IBIS and left the OIS on the lens one, and here is a video i made form some clips. the weaver clip was about 1 mint, my shoulder were tired but i think the result is not very bad.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=218115

I think you did quite well on that video from your garden, lots of life! Difficult keeping those warblers in view, they are bad enough when just trying to get a single snap ;)

Niels

yes Niles those pirina are very hyper active, but i am really happy i got them finally and that was only possible handheld + with live view, as this way one avoid the complication and the delay that comes form moving the stiff tripod head.

also you keep your eye on them and synchronize it with your hands, this is not possible when you are looking at the narrow angle giving to you on the viewfinder becuse of the long reach lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back